5.0 out of 5 stars The Sweetest of Dreams, 15 July 2013
Gerard Hennessy (Wilmington, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweet Dreams: Where Country Meets Soul Vol 2 (Audio CD)
The old chestnut "It does exactly what it says on the tin" has been overdone to death, but I find it hard to use any other words to describe this rather wonderful CD from Kent/Ace. Just like its predecessor Behind Closed Doors, which I have reviewed elsewhere, you will find that every one of the 23 tracks here is a winner. Not a dud in sight. Never once, while playing either CD, have I been tempted to press the 'skip' key, or programme anything out.

Particular favourites? Very hard to choose. But if pressed I'd go for Esther Phillips (Sweet Dreams), Dorothy Moore (Funny How Time Slips Away) and the incomparable Otis Redding (Tennessee Waltz). However if you think these are relatively safe choices, given the country/soul credentials of these singers, rest assured there are plenty of 'left-field' offerings here too - from Isaac Hayes' version of I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) to Hank "Twist" Ballard's quite staggering interpretation of Sunday Morning Coming Down. Oh, and a fabulous version of Statue of a Fool by the late David Ruffin in his post-Temptations days. A big well-done to Van McCoy for the marvellous production on this track by the way.

Whether your preference is for country or soul, there is much for you to enjoy here. And rest assured, you will consider your money well spent. If you are like me, and love both genres equally, this CD will seem like a sort of musical paradise. One that you will be in no hurry to leave.

And how good is that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection again, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Sweet Dreams: Where Country Meets Soul Vol 2 (Audio CD)
No other rating possible. I'd give 6 stars just for the facts of life track.
Order it now and soak up pure soul country heaven

4.0 out of 5 stars not as good as vol 1 in my opinion, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sweet Dreams: Where Country Meets Soul Vol 2 (Audio CD)
Vol 1 blew me away with the diversity and quality of the recordings and I immediately ordered vol 2. After half a dozen plays, it still does not hit the spot until half way through the playlist. I get the feeling someone tried to do a quick rehash of vol 1 and forgot to play it a few times.
Maybe it is my expectations that were too high .

Vol 1 get played every day, with Ann Peebles and Al Green my faves. Aaron Neville's rendition of 'The Grand Tour' is priceless, worth the cost of the CD on it's own.

Sweet Dreams: Where Country Meets Soul Vol 2
Sweet Dreams: Where Country Meets Soul Vol 2 by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2013)