5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh your head off
Published 5 months ago by Soffia

3.0 out of 5 stars Another bestseller I'm sure but without heart
I've been a fan of Walliams' children's books since The Boy in the Dress. I loved Billionaire Boy. I've read all the others. And I'm thrilled that kids read them, love them, read some more.

But Ratburger and Demon Dentist... I'm disappointed. Maybe I'd be giving it 5 stars too if I was 10. But I just can't.

I think David Walliams' best books for kids...
Published 5 months ago by K. J. Noyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh your head off, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Kindle Edition)
'Demon Dentist' is an amazingly fantastic book. The main plot is about a boy called Alfie and his friend Gabz, who try to defeat the tooth witch. She takes teeth but leaves things so horrible they are unmentionable... This novel is told in the third person. 'Demon Dentist' is funny, scary, and at the end a little sad. There are quite a log of made up words e.g. yankers. Read it if you dare! Oh yes, one more thing: BE PREPARED TO LAUGHT YOUR HEAD OFF!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired by Roald Dahl and it shows, 26 Sep 2013
Dr Phibes "Dr Phibes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Kindle Edition)
Short little book featuring 12 year old Alfie who lives alone with, and is sole carer for his wheelchair confined Dad after his mother died in childbirth. Alfie loves his dad who affectionately calls him 'Pup'.

Alfie hasn't been to the dentist since he was six with the toothache. And I cant blame him considering the ancient dentist diagnosed a rotton tooth, tied dental floss around dental nurse Mrs Prigg waist, the other end on forceps attached to his poor tooth .. and then .. jump out of the window !

I liked the style, I liked the introduction to all the charactors at the start, inparticular Mr. Grey the timid headmaster ( I wondered what inspired this choice of name). And of course texting boy, the boy that 's always texting.

And I liked the warnings of made up words like ' yankers' the human chain trying to yank out the tooth. I loved the relationship with Alfie and his dad and there 'multi coloured world of make believe'.

Has a sinister Dentist the children have to call Mummy, and a curios chaptor 38 called 'Mummus going to eat you'. The book is written in a comical way and this does make the scary bits easier but I would not really recommend for younger children. 9+

5.0 out of 5 stars My class (and I) are addicted again!, 29 Sep 2013
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)
David Walliams has a real gift ... the ability to hook children into reading; even those who are self confessed reluctant readers! This book was published on Thursday. One child walked in reading it on her kindle; another couldn't wait to get home to read the copy that had arrived in the post. my copy was downloaded, ready for me to start reading at break time and at lunch. By Friday, half the class was addicted, and a 20 minute silent reading (SQUIRT) session was obligatory!

Thank you, David Walliams! Whilst his writing may not be great literature, I feel that any author who can make a group of children want to read can't be all bad ... and my class WANT to read this week!!! If only he were as prolific an author as Enid Blyton ... then my class would be permanently reading! LOL!

Highly recommended for children aged 8 to 12 with a wicked (and I mean wicked!) sense of humour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughing from the beginning to end, 5 Oct 2013
OEJ & SKY - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Kindle Edition)
A twelve year old boy named Alfie hasn't been to the dentist for many years after a painful experience. When a new dentist comes along, Alfie discovers the secrets of this Demon Dentist.

This book will make you laugh in the first chapter.
But an event occurs towards the end of the book which might let a tear slip down your cheek but don't worry, David knows how to put a smile on your face after sad happenings.

So, why five stars? Because it is enjoyable for all ages, and can be read in a matter of hours.
Who would like this book? Those who love humourous books!

Everyone will love this book and all of the perfect illustrations to match.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another bestseller I'm sure but without heart, 22 Oct 2013
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)

I think David Walliams' best books for kids are the ones that are obviously personal to him (and very touching) or funny without trying stupidly hard to be funny, without villains, that are character-driven, that don't aim towards an over-the-top Indiana Jones chase sequence and lose their unique feel.

There's nothing 'wrong' with Demon Dentist - you've got a poor kid who's lost his mum, whose dad is disabled from inhaling mine dust, who is losing teeth after bad experiences at the dentist many years ago. Along comes a scary new dentist intent on getting our hero into her chair for her own nefarious reasons. Our hero must work out what is going on and how to save the day. With a sidekick of sorts in a girl from school and with an overly-helpful chocolate munching social worker trying to get him to his dental appointment.

For me, things just didn't gel. Alfie himself is likeable - a young carer with a dentist phobia.
It's the characters around him that I didn't like. Winnie the social worker is very much a stereotype, and her biscuit munching annoying. I was a bit creeped out by Alfie's dad calling him "pup". And by Alfie constantly calling the underused Gabz, his "friend girl" as a "little girl"... She's in secondary school. I didn't understand why the dentist refers to herself as "Mummy" either.

Poor Raj, formerly my favourite character is taken out of his lovely corner shop context and put more firmly in the action, only to be "cowering" in every scene.

I didn't find a 'texting boy' character funny, maybe I'm just getting old...

And there were some plot questions I had:
*SPOILER ALERT*
What is the purpose of the acidic toothpaste - if the dentist wants teeth and the toothpaste destroys them, what good is that?!
Why does Alfie want a tooth from Raj and not from someone at school, many of whom seem to be losing their teeth every day?
Why can't the dentist just STAY DEAD?! How many times does she come back to life?
*END OF SPOILERS*

Walliams clearly admires Roald Dahl's books and emulates them (this time managing a Mr Twit-beard-like picture) but in my mind he falls short with his latest in measuring up. Dahl was almost Dickensian in his cast of supporting characters, Wallaims' aren't fleshed out. Even at 400 pages, this book resorts to visual gimmicks rather than revolting/witty descriptions. He's done it better in the past.

I didn't like the ending again, as with Ratburger. Too much of a chase (after chase after chase) with an ending I didn't want.

Am I an old misery guts? I hope not. I don't think Walliams will lose money with Demon Dentist, and I can see that it's going to be popular. I just think he's selling himself short by veering in this direction with his writing. Demon Dentist is in many ways his saddest book, but I found Billionaire Boy much more moving and that was about a rich kid! I found Boy in the Dress very upsetting - because a boy's dad missed his wife. These were more considered and character-driven, they didn't try as hard to win readers.

I didn't plan on writing this much. I just feel disappointed in Walliams a little.

I'm glad so many children are reading it, there's lots of techniques employed that they'll enjoy and learn from, it just really wasn't in the same league as earlier books from him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Demon Dentist, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Kindle Edition)
Demon Dentist iis a fantstic book. Walliams is amazing at nnarrating it, and makes the more scary bits,funny. Ive read all 6/6 of hiss books and is by far the best (especially if you like made up words!). Reccomended for 9+ as there is some scary content. Hope this review is a help :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Demon Dentist, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. David Walliam's keeps a great link between the story throughout. Near the end it is sad but has a happy ending. I would recommend ages 9+. I am 11 going on 12. Very funny most of the time. Thoroughly enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter LOVED It!, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)
My 8 year old Daughter is a David Walliams fanatic and really enjoyed this book. She said it was fun, light-hearted with lots of comedy moments and every child should read it. I will make a book reviewer out of her, yet! Although, she is adamant that Ratburger is still her favourite. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars great value for money, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)
Bought this for my 9 year old son, who has loved it and not been able to put it down. My 12 year old daughter also enjoyed this book and found it funny. Great read and a great present for kids. Would recommend this product to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from David Walliams!, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Kindle Edition)
My Mum and I loved this book. It was funny, sad, tense and freaky! We have read most of David Walliams books and we can't to read the next one! (Lily, age 8)

ARRAY(0x9c403ad4)