5.0 out of 5 stars Superb second outing for The Sundering - bravo Mr Kemp!
The Godborn continues a major event in the Forgotten Realms known as 'The Sundering'. A brand new, world-changing story that will be told across half a dozen books or so from different authors, The Godborn being the second.

Published 19 months ago by Sigh

Solid Forgotten realms book, haven't read any of the preceding books which i might recommend, to other like me who are trying to jump back in with the Sundering series as a lot of characters have back stories that don't get fleshed out in the slightest. Although from what i understand this story was originally to be told over 3 books which might explain alot.
Published 10 months ago by Mr Iain R D Elsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb second outing for The Sundering - bravo Mr Kemp!, 23 Oct. 2013

The Godborn is written in such a way that Mr Kemps previous books are not a prerequisite, indeed a solid amount of The Godborn focuses on new characters and new relationships (to my happy surprise) which helps to keep the story fresh but in a very familiar framework to those who have read the previous Erevis Cale books.

I found the pacing of The Godborn to be perfect, the action and drama no less than expected and a finale that literally brings the house down. I didn't find myself laughing much, the book is dark (the basic premise of Erevis and his story is quite dark) but there were moments that were touching, so much so I'm not afraid to say I let a tear or two loose. I felt great empathy with two of the characters, with Mr Kemps exquisite style of writing really driving home the points.

Mr Kemp sits up there among best Forgotten Realms authors to date. His work with Erevis, Riven, et all, prior to The Godborn has made for continued splendid reading, really capturing the essence of the universe the characters exist in. The Godborn sets the scene for Mr Kemp to push in new directions now, especially when The Sundering reaches its climax.

I bought the hardback version of this, as I did the previous The Sundering title and intend to do so for all books in the series. The quality of the books is first class, no problems with the pages, spine or cover. They'll look great on the shelf.

Unreserved 5/5, even if you've not read any of the previous books, The Sundering or otherwise. If you're in two minds about starting Mr Kemps Forgotten Realms work this late, I would also recommend taking up the story of Erevis Cale from the beginning, fantastic books one and all.

Bravo, Mr Kemp!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read and perfect insight to the FR, 19 Mar. 2014
D. Henwood (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I have not really touched Forgotten Realms books for about a decade. The whole realms changed and I never really kept up with it. I like many people wasn't happy at TSR/WOTC change to Toril and it is only recently that I started to get back in to reading FR books. I started off with the Neverwinter and Drizzt books and have moved on to others.

Having read The Sundering Book 1 I felt compelled to read book 2 and I am very glad I did. Great characters, and a couple of bad guys that had me full on ranting and raving at just how much I detested them as individuals but loved how they were written. Perfect. Also this book has given me a full on insight in to why the timeline was jumped ahead. What happened to bring the Shadovar back. What the Gods are doing. What is Shar's aim. Lots of loose ties brought together to allow things to make sense. Well worth ready !! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars The game of chess begins in earnest..., 23 Nov. 2013
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Godborn: The Sundering, Book II (Kindle Edition)
The Sundering is a series of books each written by a different author from The Forgotten Realms. Each book can be read as a stand-alone novel, although reading the Erevis Cale and Twilight War trilogies by Kemp might help to fill in any blanks in the Godborn. Although I do think this book suffered a little from the fact that the story in the six previous Cale books is mixed together in this one. This explains why we go from Vasen as a baby to Vasen as a man in his 30s and why Gerak seems like a random character, who just happened to pop in for the death and destruction.
None of that detracts from the superb storytelling in fact it just made me more curious about filling in those blanks I mentioned earlier. I think the Wizards of the Coast could do with adding some sort of prologue to each book. I can imagine they read like a Mad Hatter's tea party to non Dungeons and Dragons followers, whoc might struggle to see the connections without any back-info.
I have to say the beginning was a superb opening and continuance of the The Companions: The Sundering, Book I and the Erevis Cale tales. It was both tragic and epic and Varra certainly makes an unforgettable entrance and exit all at the same time.
I found this book darker and more gruesome than the last one. Kemp managed to raise the hairs on the back of my neck and make me shudder in disgust, all in one foul swoop.
I am enjoying the concept of the Sundering. I think it is an incredibly interesting collaboration and am looking forward to reading the next book.
I received a copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley and The Wizards of the Coast.

4.0 out of 5 stars one of the best FR books, 20 May 2014
This review is from: The Godborn: The Sundering, Book II (Kindle Edition)
It's been a while since I've dipped my toe in the FR but the Sundering has dragged me back. Having Vasen as the main character in this story allows a fresh introduction to previous characters without causing confusion (as I confess I hadn't read any of the previous Cale books). The story stands alone well and given all that's gone before manages to not confuse the reader with vague references to previous novels. The writing is tight and the story never drags. The heroes are not your cardboard cutout fantasy archetypes, the villains (who on the whole are really despicable) still manage to illicit some sympathy from the reader. The feeling of some simmering world wide catastrophe on the horizon is played nicely and the ending is very satisfying. On the whole superb stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the other reviews - they give a really good idea of what goes on in the book and ..., 3 Mar. 2015
Read the other reviews - they give a really good idea of what goes on in the book and how the author tells the tale. Enough for me to say here that it IS one of the best FR books I have read (and I've read a lot of them). A bit gruesome perhaps in parts, but pretty satisfying: well-paced with action, interesting characters and their development (a half-shade paladin of Amaunator and the well-rendered Oracle person he is sworn to protect, and a wicked shade wizard I actually half-liked) and good old D&D hokum (in the good sense... I now have some connection to Mask). All these elements are, as others have observed, well-balanced and come nicely one after another. A minor quibble is that i enjoy central female characters (my daughter is the only one of four who has kept the faith, ie still plays D&D) but this didn't really have any. However, a totally excellent book, i started re-reading it straight away and on the strength of this volume I've bought all Mr Kemp's other works, filling a notable hole in my FR reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars haven't read any of the preceding books which i might recommend, to other like me who are trying to ..., 8 July 2014
This review is from: The Godborn: The Sundering, Book II (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable and a cracking second title, 15 Oct. 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Godborn: The Sundering, Book II (Kindle Edition)
Paul Kemp is an author whose writing I love, I like the way he brings characters to the fore, allows them to feel fully rounded as they set about the quests he presents to them, weaving an almost eldritch spell to throw everything including the kitchen sink at the reader. Its definitely something novel, it has some cracking twists and when added to an overall arc that will fit wonderfully in the Sundering series all round made me glad that I took the time to dive into this.

Add to this some great prose alongside a story that you just can't put down really left me feeling like I couldn't wait for the next part. Thank you Paul for a cracking outing.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book arrived on time and in great condition, 31 Mar. 2014
I haven't started this book yet. However it continues on from the first book written by R A Salvatore. I have read Paul's work before and am looking forward to seeing if lives up to my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like his other Erevis Cale books this doesn't disappoint, 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Godborn: The Sundering, Book II (Kindle Edition)
Just like his other Erevis Cale books this doesn't disappoint. Superbly written and with a cracking if slightly predictable plot. Excellent book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to have Erevis back, 11 May 2014
J. James - See all my reviews
As usual, a really good read from Mr. Kemp. It was great to re-aquaint myself with some of my favourite fantasy characters

The Godborn: The Sundering, Book II