5.0 out of 5 stars PRDVD10 Liverpool Met Cathedal - Richard Lea organist
I have all of PRIORY's DVDs so far that relate to the organ.

Published 23 months ago by M. D. Jameson

3.0 out of 5 stars BIG ORGAN, BIG sound!
This is a very enterprising ORGAN MUSIC recital production by PRIORY RECORDS, offering 2 audio visual playback standards and one audio CD sound only!
AS I have "state of art' Bluray video reproducing equipment I was quite excited to purchase this offering!
Published 19 months ago by ADRIAN

3.0 out of 5 stars BIG ORGAN, BIG sound!, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Grand Organ of Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, played by Richard Lea (Blu-Ray all-region, NTSC all-region and bonus CD all in one package) [DVD] (DVD)
Frankly I find some of the ORGAN compositions chosen by Richard Lea not particularly attractive in perspective though ,no doubt, extremely well played. This organ, in my opinion ,is the 'AIR BUS" of church instruments in the UK, with un-inhibited capability!
Granted EVERYONE puts lots of J S Bach into recorded recitals and quite often very little else!
However Mr Lea's mixing of the programme content over such wide extremes tends to offer the listener/viewer almost a "SAMPLER" experience but NOT I'm sorry to say at a sampler price tag!
Personally knowing the size and instrumental capabilities of the Grand Organ of Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral I would have expected more large scale Saint-Saens or Cesar Frank compositions etc etc
Further more there are dozens of beautifully crafted and exquisite shorter compositions from the the Bach family which would show off some of the extreme capabilities of the Liverpool Cathedrals Organ technical layout and Pipe registrations!
Perhaps as this was Priory Records first venture into the higher technologies of Blu-ray disc engineering we could hopefully see some more in this direction from one of UK's most respected Organ Music recording specialists.
Anyway well done Priory for a first in UK organ Blu-ray video releases, so lets have a lot more Please!

5.0 out of 5 stars PRDVD10 Liverpool Met Cathedal - Richard Lea organist, 28 May 2013
M. D. Jameson - See all my reviews
I have all of PRIORY's DVDs so far that relate to the organ.

Because the TV/Video is in our living room and my Wife enjoys good organ music in Cathedrals, concert halls but not at home - I use my computer to play the DVDs. Another reviewer has already made positive comments, and I would agree. My first action was to play the CD - an interesting programme and to the standard I always get from Priory. Next action was the DVD played on the computer - unlike earlier DVD's the initial titles seemed a little fuzzy to me, but I suspect the light was very difficult. The rest was very good. Being Liverpool to have music by George Martin and Paul McCartney is highly appropriate - a pity no transcription of "Yellow Submarine" or similar [I have heard that on a London cathedral organ some years back, so I know it adapts to organ]- maybe that can come later. The programme has all periods of music, including a great favourite of mine - the Liszt "Ad Nos". I had to wait for a quiet moment to try to get to grips with our new Blu-Ray player - part of the change last year to digital TV, but we had not used. The clarity of the DVD in this format has to be seen to be enjoyed - it is superb - and a good surprise. Well Done Team! I have suggested directly to Priory that the printed information should include running times for the bonus features - one has no clue as to how long they are - and it think it would enhance the information for the listener. The instruction letter enclosed with the pack was most helpful - and VITAL data because I am sure many will need this help with this latest technology.
A really superb production.

5.0 out of 5 stars Metropolitan Cathedral Liverpool Organ, 20 May 2013
This is an amazing disc, or should say discs! I have only viewed on standard DVD disc, but blue ray disc is also included in the price, and a CD version. Sound, camera work, editing all first class, and a great selection of music which shows off this marvellous organ and the skill of the cathedral organist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liverpool metropolitan cathedral organ, 18 May 2013
I received my priory dvd10 on 18.5.2013 and i am very pleased the picture and sound quality on the blu ray disc is of very high standard as with all the others in the series and i think it is a must have for all classical organ music lovers the dvd and cd is also very high quality EXCELLENT !!!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed by this, 27 Jan. 2015
I was disappointed by this. The organ seemed to be in a bad state of tune. The demonstration seemed strangely impersonal and the constant changing of scores, irritating. Surely a brief improvised phrase of music would have sufficed to demonstrate the various stops & combinations? The recording seemed very distant and it was difficult to hear with any focus. Not the best of this very fine series.