5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalistically Excellent
I'd never heard of Gabrielle Aplin until a recent flight with Emirates where I stumbled upon her album by pure chance on their ICE system. I'm really glad I did.

Published 10 months ago by Honest Chap's Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
I heard Gabrielle Aplin do a solo on Radio 4 one Saturday afternoon and Really enjoyed it. I purchased this album as an mp3 download the following Monday. That was a couple of months ago now and to be honest I've only played it twice so not that great..
Published 9 months ago by Andy J

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalistically Excellent, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: English Rain (Audio CD)

Gabrielle has an absolutely captivating voice and the tracks on this album are soothing and enchantingly beautiful. Her album occasionally put me in the mind of Jose Gonzales and Ellie Goulding both musically and stylistically. The first three tracks of the album Panic Cord, Keep on Walking and Please Don't Say You Love Me are the real stand out tracks for me, although there isn't a bad song on the album, truth be told. As I listened I thought to myself that it wouldn't be surprising if every song on this CD found its way into a movie or TV show - similar to Takk by Sigur Ros - as the tracklist really is that strong. There is a fantastic cover of The Power of Love, which some will recognise as the music John Lewis used in their Christmas advert last year.

It is always a pleasant surprise when you stumble upon something you enjoy by pure chance and this album was one such lucky stumble. I will be keeping a close eye on Aplin from now on and will be keen to see what else she produces in the future. Going to pop the CD on now and have a relaxing soak in the bath - this album will set the perfect ambience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best New Album in Some Time, 13 May 2013
Mr. D. Kidd - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Rain (Audio CD)
Like most people, I first heard of Gabrielle Aplin through her lovely version of the Power of Love in the John Lewis Christmas advert last year. Forget that; it's on here and it's still lovely but the rest of this album is just fantastic. Fab songs, great voice, beautiful arrangements. I love this album and can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A debut album to be proud of, 13 May 2013
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: English Rain (Audio CD)
This is a very good debut album indeed. Aplin's talent is almost ridiculously obvious. Most of the arrangements err on the side of simplicity, giving plenty of space for Aplin's voice and words. The Power of Love is the only cover, and its relatively understated (though undoubtedly slick) arrangement ensures it doesn't stick out awkwardly from the rest of the album. Comparing the EP version of Home with the version on this album, the performance is almost identical (at least at the beginning), but the sound is much smoother, polished. It's gorgeous. Aplin's sound is quieter and more reflective than, say, Amy Macdonald, but the material is all the more powerful for its lack of flashiness. And there are enough sing-along choruses to keep me happy.

Aplin doesn't seem to have any shortage of original material: almost all of this album is new material. In addition to the 11 original songs that appear on the track listing, there's a hidden track at the end (Take Me Away). Even more: there are a couple of very good songs (Evaporate and Wake Up With Me) on the bonus disc that comes with the Deluxe version; they are every bit as good as the material on the main album. The bonus disc has four alternate (RAK Sessions) versions of songs from the album. They are consistent with the versions on the album, except for Home, which is played on the piano rather then guitar.

It's wonderful to hear a debut album like this, where the raw talent and personality of an artist like Gabrielle Aplin is nourished, developed and displayed to best effect (thanks to producer Mike Spencer). I feel that Ellie Goulding's personality was almost totally erased by the producer of her first album; not so Gabrielle Aplin on this album.

The deluxe version of English Rain comes with a 6-track second disk (2 new songs and four alternate versions). The "ordinary" version is still pretty good! It's also worth listening to Home EP while it's still available (only as an MP3 download at present).

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 10 July 2013
SBR (yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Rain (Audio CD)
Beautiful music, beautifully sung. A real pleasure to listen to. I had heard Gabrielle Aplin on Radio 2 and was really keen to hear more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 8 July 2013
K. L. Clarke (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Rain (Audio CD)
I just love this girl's voice and songwriting. The last 2 songs on the album are a bit weak but the others are just brilliant. She thoroughly deserves her current success and I hope her next album is as good as this one. Go buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album for a long time, 6 July 2013
This review is from: English Rain (Audio CD)
Every song is wonderful. Highly recommended. Can't stop playing it and find myself humming 'Home' throughout the day. Can't wait for the next album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great talent, 6 July 2013
H. Rabbage "Priscabrambleburr" (Devon, SW United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Rain (Audio CD)
Wonderful voice that I I had never heard before and with some very new material. Highly recommended as a singer who is going places!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album - Well Worth a Listen, 31 Mar 2014
Adrian Brown - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Rain (Audio CD)
What a tremendous talent this girl is. Her writing is skilful and melodic. Bursting with ideas. A real fresh album of songs. You can tell how good the stuff has been received when the start using her as tv ads and incidental music in tv programmes. Outstanding songs well to be honest I could list them all. Gabrielle is the figurehead of a renaissance in English singer songwriting. Her singing is gentle not an obvious strong voice but works so well with the songs she has created. A testament to the quality is that I bought this album last summer and I am still playing it regularly and enjoying it immensely. Definitely worth buying. Check her out on YouTube.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: English Rain (MP3 Download)
Yeah this is a really nice album....she has a lovely haunting voice.... Its all very laid back...you can just drift away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 5 July 2013
This review is from: English Rain (MP3 Download)
Really good album, It's rare that I like every single song on one album but I've been listening to it no stop since I bought it!

English Rain (Deluxe Edition)
Buy MP3 Album9.99