Format: Audio CDChange

on 25 June 2013
Saw the show on Broadway and could not wait to obtain a lasting memory of one of the best to hit the Broadway stage for some time. Amazing tracks - brilliant lyrics - I'm not my father's son is perhaps the most haunting.

Let's hope it reaches London soon - if not Northampton.
on 8 May 2015
Have grown to love this cd but initially I was appalled (still am) by the dreadful accents.. Broadway does (not) Northampton!!?? What are some of these guys playing at??? .. dialect coach should be sacked.. it's almost as bad as the (let's pick an accent) CD version of 'The Secret Garden'.. really spoils the listening pleasure... Thank God it's coming over to London to be performed by Brits!!.. even though Charlie Price is being played by Killian Donnelly.. who is seriously Irish!!!
on 30 May 2014
Being a lover of musicals anyway, I was obviously going to love it. I didn't, however, take into account that people I know who don't love musicals adore the music as well. With a mix of 80s and modern music vibes, Cyndi Lauper has really pulled it out the bag - no wonder she won a Tony for it!
on 15 October 2015
Sex is in the heel apparently. I haven't noticed in my loakes or my mules, but THIS IS SUPERB! Cyndi is an incredible writer - this is a must for any fan. HOWEVER, the British accents are hysterical. Can't wait for the British one so I can put this on ebay.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Lets put my review title in perspective:
I LOVE musicals. I collect recordings of musicals. I've reviewed a lot of musicals too. I've even performed in a couple. So, I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to reviewing one. I also have been a fan of Cyndi Lauper since her very first album and I've stayed a fan throughout her career. She's a very talented singer, songwriter and performer and, in my opinion, much more talented than Madonna (not to annoy Madonna fans - been a fan of hers since the '80's too!).

So, why have I given this years Tony Award nominated (for Best Musical) only 3 stars?

Answer: it's forgettable.

When I receive a new musical I leave it in my CD player for a few days and it's all I listen to. I received my copy of Kinky Boots three days ago and I've listened to it about 12 times. So far only ONE song has actually stood out as being something original and worthy of my full attention. That song is 'Not My Father's Son'. Everything else has blurred into one. There are no real stand-out tracks that make you sit up and pay attention. The closest we come to one is the finale number 'Raise You Up / Just Be' - which, while being a great finale song, is still not great.

I really wanted to love this show. I love the film it's based on and I love both Cyndi Lauper and Harvey Fierstein (whose written the stageplay). But, I simply can't.
It's a good show and I will definitely be keeping it and giving it many more listens; but, for me at least, this is never going to be a Top 100 show.

I recently reviewed a wonderful show called Dogfight - which, apparently, was knocked out of the Tony Award nominees by Kinky Boots. Personally, I think that's a travesty. Never has a show been more deserving of a nomination than Dogfight; and, when compared to Kinky Boots - it's damned near perfect.

The other reviewer on here states that this is "happy and upbeat" and they are entirely correct. This is a fun, happy, upbeat album. But, fun and happy does not always make for a great musical.

If you want to listen to some truly great, recent musicals then try: Ghost The Musical, Carrie the Musical, Dogfight, Chaplin, Matilda the Musical, Bring it On the Musical, The Mystery of Edwin Drood (2012 Broadway Revival) or Bonnie & Clyde.
There are so many great musicals to choose from out there - Kinky Boots just isn't one of them.
on 3 February 2015
So, so good - funny, poignant, great music, all over a very good story - and based on a true one!
on 11 March 2015
Great soundtrack to a Great Show - I listen to it often in the car to make my journeys shorter!
on 19 September 2015
Broadway goes kinky.
Interesting sound from a passionate cast.
on 9 November 2015
Saw the show and loved the music. Brilliant soundtrack
on 25 April 2015
Interesting score to a fun production