This is the best universal remote that I have owned... and I have used quite a few from both Logitech/Harmony and other manufacturers (including the Home Theatre Master MX-500, Harmony One and Harmony 900) as well as product remotes with learning capabilities.

Published 17 months ago by A. Thoukydides

Quick update after having the product for over 12 months.
My advice would be simply: Don't buy one (or more than one like I did).

If you like well thought out gadgets and technology that aids and simplifies life, walk away.

Published 13 months ago by MaxiMoog

4.0 out of 5 stars The best universal remote that I have owned... but with some flaws, 18 May 2013
A. Thoukydides (Cottenham, Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)

Probably its best feature is that it has been kept simple - it only has the bare minimum buttons, but still manages to retain physical buttons for almost all commonly used features. This is achieved through a combination of migrating the number buttons to the touchscreen and allowing short and long button presses to trigger different commands. As a result the remote is far less intimidating than most universal remotes and is also more comfortable to hold. It is still possible to access less commonly used features via the touch screen; this is slightly less convenient than on some other remotes because the scrolling list of commands means that they are not in a fixed location which can be learnt, but they are still quick to access.

The Ultimate also fixes several of the main issues with the Harmony 900, especially it's sluggishness and unreliability of its RF link. The Harmony 900 suffered from an annoying and variable lag between pressing a button and the IR code being sent, long pauses when switching between pages on the touch screen, and frequent failures of the RF link between the remote and its hub even with direct line of sight at quite short distances. The Ultimate doesn't have any of these problems; both buttons and the touch screen respond almost instantly and the RF link even works from other rooms.

That isn't to say that it doesn't have its faults...

Firstly, this is a new product so the firmware still has a few rough edges. This ranges from minor annoyances such as "PiP" having a space automatically inserted to display as "Pi P" on the touch screen (presumably to improve the presentation of the many commands in the device database with names in CamelCase) through to fatal problems like not completing the initial setup (rectified promptly in my case by one of the software developers making a home visit and swapping the hub, with the issue subsequently addressed by a firmware update for other users). Hopefully these issues will be rectified quite quickly.

One of the big selling points of this remote is the ability to use an iOS or Android app of a smartphone instead of the Harmony handset. Whilst this works, and is a very useful feature, the apps fall short of the quality that I would expect from Logitech. The biggest problem is that other the only configurable buttons are on multiple pages of a regular 4x4 grid, which makes it difficult to locate the required controls quickly. There is also a more sensibly arranged numeric keypad and direction controls but they don't allow any customisation. Perhaps Logitech are expecting users to prefer the gesture controls, but remembering the meaning of 22 different gestures (including combinations such as a two-finger swipe and hold) for a single activity is rather counter to the simplicity of the Ultimate remote itself.

The Ultimate remote has very useful backlighting for both the touch screen and physical buttons. However, whilst the display lighting is configurable, the button backlight is fixed at quite a dim level making the buttons harder to see in the dark than on the Harmony 900. This isn't helped by all of the buttons feeling almost identical with the same smooth finish, whereas the 900 had a mixture of textures and button shapes making them easy to recognise by feel. The button backlights are substantially brighter while the remote is being reset, so hopefully this can be addressed in a software update.

The dim button lights are supposedly to help battery life, but it is still recommended to leave the remote in its charging dock when not being used. The battery is also not removable (other than for environmentally friendly disposal), raising concerns about the life of the remote... especially when combined with Logitech's desire to sell of the Harmony division.

The remote supports favourite channels to be configured. Selecting one of the channels from the touch screen automatically starts the appropriate activity (unless it is already active) and selects the required channel. However, all of the favourite channels have to be associated with the same activity... but the page of favourite channel icons always appears regardless of which activity is being used. Again, hopefully a software update will either allow favourites to be specified for multiple activities, or hide the favourites page when other activities are active.

These shortcomings are annoying, but they don't stop this being a superb universal remote. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a little tech savvy this is highly recommended, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)
After a fair bit of hair pulling, not the product's fault, it started working just fine....it recognised all my devices straight away and has not only replaced 5 remotes I've also got a few more options...I bought it on impulse and before it arrived I thought 'do I really need it?'...this is a great piece of equipment and can't find any faults as yet....it's not cheap but highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A Clever Device Indeed., 9 Aug 2014
Anthony miller (suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)
I bought one of these to replace my Philips Pronto remote, which although a very adaptable device, was unable to successfully switch certain devices (e.g. Pansonic TV, that required a sustained button press to switch on) to complete an activity. This device is no longer available for individuals to buy and the program (PC only) is now very dated.

After asking questions on here ,and receiving much help and advice, I went ahead & bought this and spent an hour or so programming it for the multiple devices I use, all, except the electric blinds, were listed and the Harmony learned the commands for the latter.

I currently have two separate stacks of equipment on opposite sides of the room so I wasn't sure if the IR transmitter would be strong enough to reach all of them. There is a beam running across the room so I positioned both of the IR 'blasters" midway, pointing in either direction and attached to each other back-to-back with Blutack. This works perfectly.

It's great not to have to point the remote at an IR receiver for the several seconds it takes to switch the umpteen devices I use, and I was impressed the way everything integrates; as an example I'd originally set the TV to switch to the "TV" input when I should have used the DVB option. The remote asked if everything switched OK, and then corrected this in both the remote and in the "My Harmony" app.

I'm very impressed, and so is my (techno-fear orientated) wife.

4.0 out of 5 stars Having one remote is super convenient, and the Hub and IR blasters mean ..., 22 July 2014
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)
Bought this to control my LG TV and Humax Freesat box. It also now has my XBox 360 and a Dyson fan added to it. Having one remote is super convenient, and the Hub and IR blasters mean you don't have to worry about aiming at the devices or leaving cupboards open. The touchscreen gives you quick access to favourite channels, and lets you send more esoteric commands that don't have their own physical buttons on the remote.

There are a few minor drawbacks: when controlling the XBox, the direction buttons occasionally repeat themselves... I'm not sure whether this is the physical button on the remote sticking, or a problem with the way the hub communicates. It's not that much of a problem most of the time, but if you're trying to type a long password into an app it's infuriating.

The only other issue I have is that controlling other devices (such as the dyson fan) is a bit of a pain. In the normal flow of things you'll hit an activity (e.g. "Play video games") and the Harmony will power the relevant devices on, set the TV to the right source, and then show the device-specific buttons on the touchscreen. But if you want to turn the fan on at the same time, you have to go to the menu, select devices, then scroll and select the fan, then you get access to the buttons. It would be great if the software could recognise home automation style devices differently, and give convenient access to their controls.

1.0 out of 5 stars It would have been 5 stars 12 months ago but now down to only 1 star, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)
Quick update after having the product for over 12 months.
My advice would be simply: Don't buy one (or more than one like I did).

If you enjoy testing technology that is flakey at best and love having to regularly connect your gadget to a computer to apply updates to flawed software, buy the Logitech Harmony Ultimate.

5+ remotes may seem like a pain but
a) they work
b) they don't crash
c) they don't reboot themselves
d) they don't 'fix' things by turning on devices you weren't even using (blutooth devices are the worst e.g. PS3 as you then need to get a PS controller to sync to it to turn it off)
e) they don't need a (largely untested) firmware updates every couple of weeks
f) they don't require firmware updates for a fix you didn't think you need only to make the device stop working (yes, Logitech even had to email everyone who had applied the update to say upgrade the firmware again as the update stopped the screen/power turning off)

I asked Logitech "Could you explain to my 12 year old why we need a firmware update to turn the television on as I am lost for answers."
After 12 months I feel like an unpaid Logitech beta tester.

I'd held off buying a universal remote as they all seemed pretty poor.
They got infinitely better with the touchscreens but even then you needed add-ons to control blutooth devices such as the PS3.
So I ordered the Logitech Harmony Ultimate as it seemed to be the ideal choice that ticked all boxes.

The Harmony Ultimate was great and I had it up and running in no time controlling 9 devices configured for 6 activities.
At this point I was raving about it to anyone who would listen and had a 5 star review drafted.

Then Logitech started tweaking things.
3 months of upgrades and firmware patches from Logitech and it had become a completely different beast.
Slow, sluggish, won't sync together, loses connection to wireless and the hub on a regular basis.

I went from being over the moon with the remote to it slowly becoming more of a pain than having 9 remote controls on the arm of the chair.
It crashes on a regular basis so I now have a collection of batteries and have to hunt the original remotes whenever it fails (or I need to do something quickly).

I then had to use Logitech's customer support and that seemed to be none existent.
I bought a DAC which sadly there was no pre defined code for and there isn't a category for DAC.
So I added it manually and got things working but thought I'd contact Logitech hoping they could add it to the device list for future customers, big mistake.
Logitech's response was to send me a list of all of other products from the manufacturer of the dac but no dacs or any response to the questions asked. Great customer service.

Another gripe is it now seems to get confused and send unwanted messages to devices e.g. I will mute the amp whilst on the phone, untouched the Harmony sometimes un-mutes it.

So rather than being an aid that becomes second nature, it is slowly becoming a hindrance where you have to do things in a log winded manner rather than the quicker method with the original remotes.

You log onto the website (myharmony.com), download some software and have to connect the devices via usb as soon as you have any problems (which is getting more frequent now).
At some points (when it is going to take a while) it gives you the opportunity to post feedback.
Even that doesn't seem to work now as you get the error message
"We are having trouble with the content service.
Please sign in again to continue."
If you sign in again it crashes the task that you were trying to perform in the first place.

Very poor support, poor software upgrades, expensive and now becoming a hugely frustrating mistake.
So for the price and problems I cannot recommend this product.

Please note not a gripe about the Ultimate but the PS3 can only link to one blutooth remote so as soon as you assign the Ultimate, your original Sony PS remote is no longer registered with the PS3, though you can still use the PS3 controllers (when the Ultimate goes a bit wonky).

Quick update on new features:

I'm still getting the odd crash, the hub goes red and I'm hitting the 'Help' or 'Fix it myself' buttons more than I would like to.

The Ultimate works with the Xbox One (as Microsoft/Sony worked on it for day one release). It turns it on/off and displays the buttons for the controller on the touchscreen.

However, no support for the PS4 - though I Sony haven't come out with a remote either. Would have been nice if they had done the same as Microsoft rather than waiting for people to buy the official PS4 remote.
The official Logitech line is "Harmony team is still working on PS4 compatibility for the Harmony Ultimate and Harmony Smart Control".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Universal Remote, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)
I've had several Logitech universal remotes over the years and in general have always liked them. Most have not been perfect, but only due to things like small buttons or buttons I would like were missing, but, they have been the best Universal Remotes I could find at the time (without paying a lot more for one).

The Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote, so far, is just about perfect. I've now had it for several weeks and it does everything I need and more. The transfer of the set-up from my old Harmony remote was easy and just needed some tweaking to get it matched to the new remote. So far I've had no problems using the remote at all. If you're not used to Universal Remotes it could take a time to get everything perfect but you should be able to get the basics working very quickly.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the need to have the hub switched on all the time. As all my equipment is directly in front of me in an open cabinet I use the remote to send direct IR signals so don't need the hub. Unfortunately the hub is needed for updates, etc, so must be on all the time. Having said that the flexibility of being able to configure the remote to send IR signals either direct or via the hub is very useful.

Overall I'd say this is the best Universal Remote I've had and would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great but not perfect, 8 Feb 2014
Humphrey (Potten End, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)
So, whichever way you look at it, when you have lots of different components from different manufacturers, finding a single solution to controlling them is always going to be a bit 'cobbled' together; bridging a single remote to multiple components through IR isn't going to be easy. This is the best solution I have come across.

When it works, which is the majority of the time, it's a marvel but when it's out of sync it's an absolute pain. The root of the syncing issue is that it's a wifi remote working through a hub to control sources/amps/tvs through IR. If any of them gets confused (and they do) then you're in a muddle and it's up to you to sort it out; you need to have your wits about you... The irony being that if you're not technical then you'll never work this simple solution out! My parents in law would never cope with this as straightforward as the product description makes it sound....

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)
no words can describe it.
It is just perfect!
With this remote I can control 12 devices that are behind my closed cabinet and the setup was done in less that 20 min
amazing!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good when it works, but unreliable, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)
The features are well described in other reviews. When it works it is very good but there are two serious flaws. Firstly, it frequently locks up and you have to hold the 'Off' button until it re-boots, then turn all AV equipment off before starting again. Secondly, there is no way to turn off the touch screen gestures, which are annoying as they can be used accidentally and should be an option only.

3.0 out of 5 stars Complex configuration, but works well with persistence, 6 Aug 2013
Chappers "chappers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You can tell this product is at the top of its tree by the fact that the packaging itself has quite a premium feel. It is well styled and neatly put together.

Pulling everything out, it becomes apparent that there are a few bits to this device. There is the remote itself, the remote's charger with associated power lead and plug, the main IR blaster intended to sit amongst your A/V equipment together with its associated power lead and plug, 2x mini IR blasters on leads that optionally attach to the main IR blaster, and the USB cable for hooking up to a PC. This is not just simply a remote control, and the requirement for 2x power points is worthy of note if you weren't expecting it.

Speaking of the power points, the form factor of the plug could cause issue for some especially in the world of A/V equipment, as often the availability and orientation of socketry can pose issues. Instead of the plug protruding down or up as you often find with transformer-plugs, this one protrudes outwards. That might be ok for some people, but in my case I have an 8x gang socket located underneath my entertainment centre. These plugs with their tall form-factor have required me to relocate it.

Setting the remote up is supposed to be a simple-enough process, and I work in the Digital sector so it should have been child's play for me. Unfortunately, it wasn't..
You are instructed to visit the `myharmony' website in order to get going, as instructed on the display of the remote. On doing so, you must create an account. Choosing a location shows USA and Canada at the top in a typical bout of geographical favouritism, and results in a long scroll down to get to United Kingdom. They suggest that you do this all in the same room as the main IR blaster, but for some that might not be possible. I didn't find it to be an issue though. Eventually I got to the end of the set-up process and the site requested I hook up the Remote to my laptop to process the changes using the supplied cable - this in itself is worth bearing in mind in case you only have tablets in your household.

It is at this point that I hit a problem. The progress bar would reach about 48% on the first step and then claim it could not communicate with the Remote. I rebooted and tried again, with no improvement. I was using Chrome browser, so tried Firefox, but again no improvement. I re-booted into Ubuntu Linux (which is normally a reliably fall-back when it comes to certain USB-device hookups), but the myharmony.com site proclaimed that it was not compatible with Linux!

I was all but ready to assume I had a faulty remote, but I rebooted back into Windows and tried Internet Explorer as a last resort, and low-and-behold it worked. Unfortunately it didn't completely work, because the Remote continued to request that I visit the `myharmony.com' website and refused to let me do anything else. I initiated a "Recovery" of the system, which forced an update of both the Remote and the Main IR Blaster via the USB lead. Everything then started to work as normal.

On attempting operate my devices (a Playstation 3, a Sony TV, a Sony A/V Amplifier and a Sony PVR) I was struggling to get the PVR from working (little did I know I was simultaneously also suffering the much-advertised Freeview / Sony PVR hardware failure of July 2013, which threw me off). Once I realised that, I continued to refine the positioning of the blasters, and all appeared well.

Total grief time consumed up-to this point - approximately 2 hours.

The remote itself locked up twice in the first week, but I discovered that holding 'Off' and 'Menu' will reset it. It has been stable ever since then, so maybe it was teething trouble.

Initially the Activity macros didn't start up all my designated devices, but that could have been down to placement of the IR blasters which I have juggled about a bit.

The IR blasters are a novel solution to controlling your AV equipment. It means that the remote itself, or any other controlling devices such as smartphones or tablets can issue the commands over WiFi and the IR blasters relay the signals to the devices. I hadn't anticipated it controlling my PlayStation 3, but low-and-behold it does! It pairs up using Bluetooth and can completely control the navigation. I make use of LoveFilm on my PlayStation, so being able to control that too was a bonus for me and meant that I could put away a fairly bespoke Playstation remote commander.

Now that I have used the Harmony Ultimate for a little while, I have warmed to it. The curved shape fits nicely in the hand, although it means you have to pick it up in order to operate it, instead of press the buttons with it resting on the table, as its curved profile is not suitable for this type of operation. The device can be set to wake up the display on detection of movement, but I have turned this feature off as I found it too sensitive. The buttons themselves are backlit, but not very bright. The Remote itself is a sealed unit, so you don't need to worry about batteries, but then even integrated rechargable cells have a limited lifespan so this could be a concern longer-term.

I have occasionally caught the touchscreen unintentionally and issued commands I hadn't intended, but that has diminished over time as I have gotten more used to the layout. I have found that I have not used the touchscreen for much other than the initial macro activation, instead resorting to the navigation buttons and the volume/channel buttons - which feel a little low-down for ultimate comfort, but I can live with that.

On the whole, it has met the needs of controlling several devices from one remote - like any good Universal Remote Control should. The fact that it also controls my Playstation 3 using bluetooth is very handy, and the fact that there is an Android app means I can also use my smartphone or tablet to do the same - although the App itself is very large considering, and not very customisable, not to mention there are no Homescreen widgets, which might have been useful - but then these are things that could be changed with software updates.

The setting up process proved a nightmare for me, but maybe I am an isolated incident. Linux incompatibility may prove to be an obstacle for some.

Then there's the price. At £229 (at time of review) this is a lot of money for something which is ultimately there to solve an itch (of having too many remotes) and could probably just be alleviated by a decent brand's main device Remote, such as my Sony TV's remote which could also control my Amp and my PVR. If you simply must have the top-of-the-range universal remote control, then this is your guy. Not having to point the remote over obstacles is a subtle plus-point that I didn't realise I would appreciate.

On the whole, it's a good effort. In some respects it feels a bit experimental, and there seems to be more effort required on the part of the user in getting it all set-up and configured - but then that's probably par for the course in this line of tech. The technical hiccups concerned me, and only through persistence did I overcome them. I wonder how many other people would have given up long before I did. The price is the elephant-in-the-room for me though.

As a result of my time with the Harmony Ultimate, I am prepared to give it 3-stars. If it were half the price and the setting-up process were more simplified (and trouble-free), I'd bump it up to 4.

UPDATE: There has been a Firmware and an App update for this device since I first wrote my review, which improved stability and added some setup functionality from the app itself.

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control