Format: Audio CDChange

Leaving aside a blatant error in the sub-title (roaring 20s yes, but the 30s were the depression era), this is a fascinating and fantastic collection. Many of these songs have stood the test of time well.

As with all music this old, it cannot be technically perfect. Some tracks have crackles and hiss, but this is often how these records sounded to listeners back then. When recorded music was a novelty, people tolerated the imperfections. If you must have perfect sound quality, don't buy music this old.

There are more recent covers of many of these songs, and the compilers have included some here, which emphasize the limitations of the original ancient recordings. I like the Puppini Sisters and the Temperance Seven, but while these 20s/30s revivalists have made some excellent music, I have mixed feelings about their inclusion here. Still, if their presence means more people discover the original music here, that's a good thing.

There are other less obvious llater covers too, including the Ella / Louis cover of Dream a little dream of me, which they recorded in 1950. This song dates from the thirties, but was revived in the sixties, first by the Shirelles and later by Mama Cass.

Despite some songs being later covers, most of the recordings are genuine recordings from the 20s and 30s, which capture the spirit of the music superbly. I'm glad that Helen Kane's version of I wanna be loved by you was included despite the crackling. I like Marilyn Monroe's cover, but Helen's presence here reminds me to look for some of her own music, hoping that some of it has survived with fewer crackles.

Whether you are just getting curious about this type of music or you have some already as I do, this is an excellent compilation.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I should point out that although all these songs were written in the 20s-30s, not all the tracks are the original. Obviously trying to cash in on the new 'The Great Gatsby' film this is actually a good idea. The sound reproduction here is quite hissy on a few tracks, and therefore I would advise anyone getting this to get the cd, somehow I think it could be too much say on an i-Pod, and I would point out that this is inevitable due to the age of some of these recordings, although in some cases I do have better quality on some of these tracks due to other albums that I own.

It amazes me really that even though my parents weren't even alive when these songs were first performed that they are so popular with myself and others of my age group (and even younger). This is probably due to some of them being in old films, and others because we have come to find ourselves fans of the singer over the years. For me I just had to have this, I do have quite a few tracks that appear on here, but there are others that I haven't, so this has made my collection that little bit fuller.

At sixty two tracks long this is great value for money and is sure to bring a smile and enjoyment to anyone who buys this. I always find myself toe tapping, and even bursting into song and dance with some of these tracks. This would be great for theme parties, where everyone can have some fun. I just love to put such music as this on when people are around. At first you get some comments and such like, but you soon find everyone enjoying themselves.

This is great as an introduction for someone who is coming to this period of music for the first time. Remember, when these were first heard, party-goers were quaffing champagne, trying cocktails and snorting cocaine. And if you were in Paris in the Twenties and were female it was the height of fashion to declare that you were a lesbian and kiss a girl. Anyway, whatever rocks your boat, it is still fun to do it whilst listening to this.
on 28 July 2013
I like the music of that period. This album includes the music you would expect, and then some. The sound quality is not always great on the old recordings, but I find that acceptable.
Some people have complained in reviews, but I think that's a bit like complaining that old photos are in black & white, or sepia.
on 2 August 2013
I was introduced to speakeasy music through watching Broadwalk Empire on tv. It compliments the series superbly and captures the era of the 1920s I have started a quest to follow up on individual artists on the cd.
on 20 May 2013
This is a cracking collection of vintage music from the 20s and 30s. It's sprinkled with well known standards as well as rare gems. ok so the sound quality isnt perfect - but this music was recorded almost 100 years ago - what do people expect?! - if you want pristine recordings, then you should listen to cover versions (but wouldnt that slightly defeat the point)? For me the hiss and crackle on the odd track merely transports the listener back to a bygone era. A beautifully put together compilation.
on 25 October 2013
This had me Dancing round the House,haven't got passed the 1st CD yet,it's really terrific if you like the Gitterbug & Charlston!
I've done old time music hall,so it brought it all back to me.
Great name for it as well.
Don't think anyone could sit down whilst this is playing
Great lmusic from a great era.
on 7 June 2013
Having spent a weekend at Burgh Island for our 30th wedding anniversary I was in the mood for some 30's music and this fitted the bill nicely. I know some of the reviews talk about crackley sound but overall it doesn't matter and I just enjoy the music for what it is.
on 10 August 2014
Love this collection - great value for the 3 discs and a good mix of music from the 20s and 30s. The inclusion of The Puppini Sisters amidst so many original recordings seems very out of place though.
on 7 August 2013
I bought this CD as a gift for my parents for their wedding anniversary. The delivery was so QUICK !!! Mam & Dad loved their gift & the price was good for me.They loved it so i'm happy.
on 14 June 2013
I like this period in history and the music. This CD was more than I had anticipated and is played to 'destruction'. I have already recommended it to folk who in turn are going to buy.