5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant old-time music
Leaving aside a blatant error in the sub-title (roaring 20s yes, but the 30s were the depression era), this is a fascinating and fantastic collection. Many of these songs have stood the test of time well.

Published 10 months ago by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly a lot of swing!
3 CD's is possibly 1 CD too many. The last disc is very 'samey'. Some great original tracks though so its okay.
Published 4 months ago by Jo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant old-time music, 13 Jun 2013
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Swingin' At The Speakeasy (Audio CD)

As with all music this old, it cannot be technically perfect. Some tracks have crackles and hiss, but this is often how these records sounded to listeners back then. When recorded music was a novelty, people tolerated the imperfections. If you must have perfect sound quality, don't buy music this old.

There are more recent covers of many of these songs, and the compilers have included some here, which emphasize the limitations of the original ancient recordings. I like the Puppini Sisters and the Temperance Seven, but while these 20s/30s revivalists have made some excellent music, I have mixed feelings about their inclusion here. Still, if their presence means more people discover the original music here, that's a good thing.

There are other less obvious llater covers too, including the Ella / Louis cover of Dream a little dream of me, which they recorded in 1950. This song dates from the thirties, but was revived in the sixties, first by the Shirelles and later by Mama Cass.

Despite some songs being later covers, most of the recordings are genuine recordings from the 20s and 30s, which capture the spirit of the music superbly. I'm glad that Helen Kane's version of I wanna be loved by you was included despite the crackling. I like Marilyn Monroe's cover, but Helen's presence here reminds me to look for some of her own music, hoping that some of it has survived with fewer crackles.

Whether you are just getting curious about this type of music or you have some already as I do, this is an excellent compilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music cd, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Swingin' At The Speakeasy (Audio CD)
I was introduced to speakeasy music through watching Broadwalk Empire on tv. It compliments the series superbly and captures the era of the 1920s I have started a quest to follow up on individual artists on the cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the Jazz age?, 28 July 2013
I like the music of that period. This album includes the music you would expect, and then some. The sound quality is not always great on the old recordings, but I find that acceptable.
Some people have complained in reviews, but I think that's a bit like complaining that old photos are in black & white, or sepia.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tripping Back Through Time, 21 May 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Swingin' At The Speakeasy (Audio CD)
I should point out that although all these songs were written in the 20s-30s, not all the tracks are the original. Obviously trying to cash in on the new 'The Great Gatsby' film this is actually a good idea. The sound reproduction here is quite hissy on a few tracks, and therefore I would advise anyone getting this to get the cd, somehow I think it could be too much say on an i-Pod, and I would point out that this is inevitable due to the age of some of these recordings, although in some cases I do have better quality on some of these tracks due to other albums that I own.

It amazes me really that even though my parents weren't even alive when these songs were first performed that they are so popular with myself and others of my age group (and even younger). This is probably due to some of them being in old films, and others because we have come to find ourselves fans of the singer over the years. For me I just had to have this, I do have quite a few tracks that appear on here, but there are others that I haven't, so this has made my collection that little bit fuller.

At sixty two tracks long this is great value for money and is sure to bring a smile and enjoyment to anyone who buys this. I always find myself toe tapping, and even bursting into song and dance with some of these tracks. This would be great for theme parties, where everyone can have some fun. I just love to put such music as this on when people are around. At first you get some comments and such like, but you soon find everyone enjoying themselves.

This is great as an introduction for someone who is coming to this period of music for the first time. Remember, when these were first heard, party-goers were quaffing champagne, trying cocktails and snorting cocaine. And if you were in Paris in the Twenties and were female it was the height of fashion to declare that you were a lesbian and kiss a girl. Anyway, whatever rocks your boat, it is still fun to do it whilst listening to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PERIOD COMPILATION, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Swingin' At The Speakeasy (Audio CD)
This is a cracking collection of vintage music from the 20s and 30s. It's sprinkled with well known standards as well as rare gems. ok so the sound quality isnt perfect - but this music was recorded almost 100 years ago - what do people expect?! - if you want pristine recordings, then you should listen to cover versions (but wouldnt that slightly defeat the point)? For me the hiss and crackle on the odd track merely transports the listener back to a bygone era. A beautifully put together compilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swingin', 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Swingin' At The Speakeasy (Audio CD)
There are some classic tunes on this CD. They evoke an era which was for some a pretty wild time.
I love this music and do my best to hunt down dances where this type is played.

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly a lot of swing!, 2 Dec 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed by person who received it as a gift, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Swingin' At The Speakeasy (Audio CD)
It was a gift for someone and they told me they enjoyed it and it arrived as promised which was great

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 25 Oct 2013
OH MY!
This had me Dancing round the House,haven't got passed the 1st CD yet,it's really terrific if you like the Gitterbug & Charlston!
I've done old time music hall,so it brought it all back to me.
Great name for it as well.
Don't think anyone could sit down whilst this is playing
Great lmusic from a great era.
M.D

3.0 out of 5 stars swingin at the speakeasy, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Swingin' At The Speakeasy (Audio CD)
this is a really cool c.d. with lots of happy songs and music. enjoying all the songs thanks very much.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa5a67c8)

Swingin' At The Speakeasy
Swingin' At The Speakeasy by Various (Audio CD - 2013)