on 21 February 2014
This is my 3rd AV surround receiver in 13 years and it is without doubt the best and least expensive of the 3. You needed a PHD to set up the last 2 and I was all ready to have a terrible evening cursing and blaming everything and everyone for it not working. To my relief it was very easy to set up thanks to the on screen tuition. Best of all and what was always such a source of stress on previous set ups - the calibration of the speakers - was straightforward with the microphone supplied and has produced a much better sound than that produced on my last receiver which was 3 times the price.
on 24 July 2014
I love my Denon AVR-X1000! Didn't know much about these things but my wife bought me a blue ray player for christmas and while films look great I really missed the surround sound from my old Sony dvd player. Was looking on Amazon one day when one of these type of machines popped up and it got me thinking, not only could I hear my films in 5.1 surround sound but also connect my Virgin Tivo box and get all the sound I was missing out on from telly programs PLUS my beloved Xbox. I chose the Denon AVR-X1000 as I'm on a budget and it seemed to offer the best value when you take all the features into account. Must admit I didn't buy through Amazon (sorry, but did buy lots of bits for it with you) When it came I was surprised just how large it was even though I'd measured the space before hand but it's not obtrusive in my telly stand. Set up was really easy though I did download the instructions before ordering so I did have some understanding before trying to stick wires into various holes. Set up was very straight forward as others have said. As stated I'm on a budget so used the speakers from my old sony dvd player and bought a new active subwoofer (Vibe OptiSound TV6D Digitial TV Subwoofer) which, in my smallish living room does the job well. I can't get over how good my old speakers sound now they're on the Denon, just shows the quality of the unit. I love that I've got the ability to listen to the radio again using the receiver AND I love being able to listen to my albums via a USB stick. I purchased a SanDisk 32 GB Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 Flash Drive which matches the Denon perfectly, it's so tiny I can leave it in place in the USB port and you can hardly see it from where I sit. Think it's an essential accessory if you love your music like me. I haven't connected it to the internet yet so sadly can't comment on that side of things. Finally the important aspect, my Xbox sounds brilliant! playing it through my Denon just brings the game alive and I find I'm much more involved then I used to be so happy days! ps, I used to listen to the telly at night using headphones so I don't disturb the family but since my unit came at the beginning of July I've not used them once due to the clarity of the sound produced by my shiny new toy. For me the important aspect was quality and not volume and I certainly haven't been disappointed. :-)
on 30 March 2014
bought for surround sound set up and really pleased. Connected this to my sony bravia via an optical cable for watching smart content in surround, then via hdmi have plugged in a sony bluray dvd player, an xbox, a sky+hd box and a PC. All sound great.

Setup was dead easy, a great addition to any living room.
on 20 February 2014
This is a great amp without forking out a small fortune, the tone, sound are fantastic and the ease of use and set up are very straight forward, this bit of kit punches way above its price bracket. If your looking for something straight forward to install, functional and good value for money don't hesitate to purchase.
on 24 October 2014
This product is great and turned out to be better than I was expecting. It works well with the HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) on our Samsung UE60H7000. It even recognises the AVR as a 'Receiver' on Anynet.

That means we don't even have to use the remote on the AVR-X1000. The TV turns it on/off automatically and directly controls its volume from the TV remote. The audio from whichever source we select on the TV is fed back through ARC and is played on the AVR-X1000. If you're going to do this go to into the Sound->Additional Settings on the Samsung TV and make sure you select something like Dolby DTS. This makes sure the full 5.1 sound information is sent over ARC to the receiver.

About the only negative I could find is that the on screen Setup functions use an ugly looking non anti-aliased font. But that's pretty minor as you not going to have to look at them after you've setup everything.

Pros
-HDMI ARC and Anynet offer seamless integration with Samsung TV
-Lots of great features - airplay, etc
-Runs cool compare to other AVRs
-Isn't as tall as some other AVRs I looked at

Cons
-On Screen setup could be made prettier using anti-aliased fonts
on 30 January 2015
Very good sound (once you update to the latest software version) and once you properly balance it with the provided mic.
If you want to use Spotify you need a PREMIUM account.
LastFM use is limited to several countries; mine (Belgium) is not among them.
DLNA and AirPlay work for sound only, so you won't be able to stream image. I'm using an EzCast dongle for that.
Flickr...when I try to add my user-name says it doesn't exist ....pretty annoying.
The internet radio function works like a charm, but sometimes you need to unplug the device in order to de-freeze it :)) Soft problem:)
As you can see I rated it 5 stars; that's what it deserves for sound, streaming and connectivity which are why I bought it:)).
All the others are extra options; I use and enjoy them but they are not imperative.
PS It would have been nice if Denon included an YouTube app in their next update.;)
on 18 August 2014
Excellent AV amp, which I bought to replace my lovely, but alas outdated Yamaha DSP-AX20. Firstly the price was excellent - I paid £199.90. It was also very easy to set-up, using the Auyessey mic. The ability to stream music from my PC, or NAS is excellent, and this includes FLAC files! Internet radio is a nice touch, however you will need paid subscriptions to use the Spotify, and Last.fm streaming features.
The sound quality is simply excellent! Easily as good as amps I road-tested that were several times the price. Music through my aged, but still highly capable, Ditton44's is smooth,full, and powerful. The surround experience is similarly great.
Picture pass through is good, with barely any degradation of quality.
Overall, I highly recommend this amp. Full-featured, and great value!
on 11 April 2015
This unit is the heart of my audio video system. It is a wonderful piece of equipment. The 5.1 sound is outstanding. I use is with a Sky Satellite receiver, a Panasonic Blue Ray player, a Denon CD player, 5 Boston Acoustics Speakers, a Sony sub-woofer, and Samsung TV. It is also plugged into my local area network.

While I collect CDs, the ability to also be able to play albums and podcasts from my computer's hard drive is a much used, and enjoyed, feature. I am an avid radio listener and use both the tuner and internet radio capability. My only criticism is that the AVR-X1000 is that it no longer displays internet station information on the TV screen. The facility was useful for me as my eyesight is not what it once was.

This was probably my best purchase of 2014.
on 3 February 2014
Denon has been in use for few weeks, and there has been no problems with. Settings-page on network could be more secured by default. One thing that it is missing is 4K pass-through, but I think I won't be needing it for a while...
on 18 January 2014
After much soul searching and reading Amazon reviews of products in this price bracket, in the end I plumped for the very excellent Denon AVR -X1000. I simply love it for its build quality and user friendliness and at the time of writing this review, I am into day 3 of ownership. Still exploring all of its features, particularly the internet media options. So far everything is up to expectations plus more. I am new to home cinema and bought this alongside a new Boston Acoustics Soundware 5.1 XSSE as my first venture into this new world. What I find difficult is working out whether to give the credit to the Denon AV receiver or the speaker system - I suspect it's a bit of both. The Denon is a joy to use and I have connect my sky plus box through it along with a Blu ray DVD player and of course the Boston speakers.

In terms of set up, this was a breeze using the Audyssey microphone which was provided with the unit and delivered an ideal speaker balance for my 19ft x 12ft living room. Where it really excels is watching and listtening to Dolby surround movies but it also works well in delivering very enjoyable music - in my case, using the pre-installed Spotify (whichdepends on an Ethernet connection) and other internet stations.

My main use is the sky plus box and with HDMI connection, this all works very well. I have even managed to re-programme my sky remote unit to control the volume on the Denon.

Just be aware that most of these av receivers are heavy and quite bulky and I just managed to squeeze this one into my tv corner unit. The issue is the height of the receiver and if anything this one is by no means the tallest.

All in all, I would thoroughly recommend.