on 10 August 2013
As I strive to keep up to date with modern technology I seem to have missed out on most of the jargon. This book explained everything very clearly. I have read other books which assumed you know the jargon and did not find it necessary to go into detail. This book explains everything very well which I definitely needed. Perhaps if I had an up to date mobile I would have understood more but as I just have a basic model there was a gap in my knowledge.
I am very familiar with the 'For Dummies' series and have bought, been given or otherwise obtained many of its titles covering several different topics, mostly software-related. Few, as this, are hardware-specific.

I am very much a 'silver surfer' although my background with computing technology covers more than the four decades of the history of the first PCs. Familiarity with Android is personally at a much lower level and will be a minor challenge. Android tablets are currently exceedingly popular and arguably outselling every other alternative including the once overwhelmingly common iPad range.

This book will help although it is generic and not specific to a certain model or version of Android. It will always be slightly out-of-date as new products appear two or three times each year and Android is in a constant state of flux with minor version updates appearing every few months (4.3 to 4.4 is the most current change at the date of the review, although many devices continue to use older versions) and major updates (e.g. from 4.x to 5.x) appearing less often. Although features in each upgrade will change, some older apps being modified or dropped in favour of others with different capabilities and new ones added, some manufacturers will have their own views on what to include or exclude for their own devices. The book cannot therefore comprehensively cover all these possible combinations.

The contents starts at the beginning in describing the range of features you may expect, adding and using additional storage, connecting to a PC or TV, installing and using Apps and, possibly most importantly, connecting to the Internet and online services. The in-built camera and other similar options are also covered. It is a primer and there are several chapters within its slightly fewer than 300 pages. Just about everything that a new user could want is there and there is a tendency not to overload with data that may not be currently needed. For reasons of clarity and of specific help to the new user, there are many illustrations that augment the text.

As a series, I have never yet been seriously disappointed with a single title from this series. As indicated above, the topics covered are many and there are several authors responsible for the many titles. Some of the titles are regularly reissued as different subject software products are updated and others are updated and revised as technology moves ever onwards. This is the first release of this title, but not the first on Android as older titles related mostly to smart phones; you can expect it to be revised at some later date.

A good first book on the subject.
on 30 May 2013
I found this book first class. Made using my tablet so much more easier. I also do so much more having found out how to use all the not so obvious gadgets etc.
on 7 August 2013
But a really good and informative book for people who want answers with regatrd to Tablets, good in all the best ways
on 26 August 2013
I found this guide an excellent way to fathom out the mysteries of Android
As with others, this "Dummies Guide" is a straightforward help.
on 3 June 2013
I find this book a very usefull item to have handy when using the tablet. The information in it is clear and easily understood, It has been of great help to me because i have never used a tablet before and I was finding it very hard to get used to using one
Yours faithfully H, M, Edmondson
on 24 May 2013
This book does not have all the answers but it tries very hard to please. Good descriptions and helpful advice.
on 6 June 2013
for someone my age very mature student just starting to use a tablet, many options and explanations. taking my time but getting there, i think.however must be patiant.
on 22 September 2013
This book is really handy for those of us with Computing experience but find Tablets a whole new way of doing things. Especially when you don't get any Help pages as we are used to with Computors. Admittedly it is too big to carry with you when out and about with the Tablet and so it necessitates a bit of "homework". Still a fun read though.
on 21 December 2013
For those like me who have moaned about the lack of any instruction being supplied with the Nexus 7, here is the solution! The author doesn't recommend that you read this detailed book from cover to cover. Instead he has set out the book into self-contained chapters that make it easy to unlock the secrets and unfamiliar control of androids like the nexus, when they are needed. Cross referencing is tidy so if you want to go off at a tangent to find more information on a related topic he gives you the relevant chapter.

All I can say to new owners is 'buy this book to get the most out of your android'. It is pointless to waste hours trying to figure things out when the answer to most of your problems lie within its pages.

This really is an excellent book and I look forward to becoming an expert in androids over the next few months. I can highly recommend it.