Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 May 2013
Volume 1 of MOQ&D was a bit of a novelty record in some ways, as it crossed over all genres of originals and moulded them, some in a more extreme fashion than others, into BEF's electro-funk of that decade. "Wichita Lineman" and "Secret Life of Arabia" are two sonic gems that it would always be difficult to come close to. Volume 2 was very soulful, but oddly left me cold as it was just too polished. Even the likes of Green and Billy Mackenzie couldn't quite elevate it to the odd fascination with Volume 1.

So after a very very long time, and around a year later tha Martyn had originally intended this project to see the light of day, Volume 3 has arrived (albeit with sneak previews of 2 tracks, in rather too similar form, on the BEF Box Set from a couple of yrs back). Which predecessor does it most resemble?

Phew, I'm glad to say the eclectic mix of tracks, vocalists and arrangement styles here place it very much as a natural successor to Volume 1, except the production is possibly a wee bit more modern sounding. We get semi-industrial/glitch drums and bleeps accompanying "I Get Wild", an incredible opener by Kim Wilde, and some mock-horn loops as intro to Green's rather juddery second track. Until well over the halfway mark this collection is very strong, and as challenging (it doesn't seem a novelty record to me these days) as the first LP ever was. We get some sublime pop moments, some breathy vocals, some treated strings (some of which are real), lots of space and even Glenn Gregory and Boy George contributing 2 tracks each! George's selections are both quite different in approach, "Dog" probably being the most difficult track on the album. I disliked H17's cover of Associates' "Party Fears Too" on Naked As Advertised, as it was out of place and dragged a bit, but here it sits more comfortably, and really works (it sounds like it could be the same mix?)!

However this album is over 70 mins so there are going to be a few tracks that don't quite make the grade, and to be honest "Smalltown Boy" and "Co-pilot to Pilot" (particularly as this closes the album - weakly) are tracks I may skip in the future. It's not that they're bad, but they just aren't very creative (and we have heard them in full before).

I plumped for the 2-CD version, and whilst some tracks work as instrumentals, they do seem to be just the backing tracks, with no additional lead instrument added to keep things fresh. When they work, they are great.

Packaging is really nice.

If you liked Volume 1 then I would recommend this, but maybe the 1-CD version unless you really must own everything Martyn and co produce (in the instrumentals Ian's presence is still missed).
on 30 May 2015
Brilliant versions, especially the Sandie Shaw track
on 14 December 2014
Top, top class. What else is there to add?
on 6 August 2013
This is a great CD, haunting and great versions, Picture This, Didn't I blow you mind and Party Fears Two and Breathing.... who'd I've thought to have a cover of this gem by Kate Bush.. Enjoy
on 12 August 2013
Just as I expected. This is very good. I kind of expected this to be like this hence I ordered it. I was not wrong.
on 4 July 2013
Very dissapointed with this release. I found the cover versions very kareoke like. I felt I wanted to hear the original versions more as these versions did not come close in their entertainment value. Sligtly boring... actually very boring, I do not expect to listen to this release anymore.