Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 14 January 2014
I was looking for a cheap, Prime-eligible digital thermometer for beer brewing and came across this. I don't normally write reviews, but after seeing some people complain of inaccuracy and slow readings I felt compelled to give my input.

I think it's very accurate. Even just picking up the surrounding room air temperature it matches the old glass thermometer I have. Boiling water shows 99.7C, my body temperature 37.2C.

Regarding slow readings, it understandably takes a few seconds for the metal probe to reach the same temperature as the surrounding liquid/food, but it is only a few seconds and the display quickly updates and settles on the final temperature.

Very pleased overall. Not sure how long it'll last but if it breaks in 12 months time I'll just buy another...
on 7 May 2013
Simple and easy to use. Sturdy gadget with a few extra useful functions, like being able to 'hold' the temperature so you can see it (useful for those of us with glasses who may need to wait for them to defog after a blast of roast steam!). Packaging is not at all bulky, fitting the thermometer neatly for safe and simple storage.
on 22 April 2013
A bit late for my new years resolution to cook more, but the thermometer worked a treat and help me prevent drying my food out, without poisoning everyone.
on 27 July 2013
A great meat thermometer ideal for the barbecue season or anytime you want to check if meat is fully cooked through. Handy in the kitchen/
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 February 2016
The probe on this gadget is six inches long. The casing is only three inches, and the digital display panel is tiny - it's under an inch long, and less than a quarter of an inch wide. You have to have the eyes of a hawk to see what the digital readout is.
It's positively dangerous to use this gadget to record the temperature of a pan of boiling confectionery, jam or marmalade due to the likelihood of boiling splashes, and even if you chance it with lower temperature items, any steam further obscures the readout.

Having said all that, this digital display food thermometer has been a useful piece of kit over the last three years since I bought mine.
It reacts quickly to temperature changes and appears to be accurate, but I've had to downgrade its star rating to merely 'okay' because it's not capable of being used safely for many of the functions it ought to be capable of, plus the pathetically tiny display panel.

It's fine for use in tempering chocolate, and good enough as a temperature probe for 'safe' ranges in hot or cold food.
I've just dug this out of a drawer where it's been lurking unused for months so I can get on with chocolate 'goodies' for Easter, and it's still working well.

If you're looking for an inexpensive product suitable for taking the temperature of confectionery or preserves during boiling, please be aware of the risk.
If you're looking for a good, clear readout display then this probably won't be good enough for you.
on 9 February 2016
I have had this for a couple of years and used it many times. In terms of robustness, I cannot fault it. However, it is irritatingly slow to register the temperature. There are probably better thermometers out there but this one is inexpensive and reliable.

When time to replace, I'll likely go for a different model.
on 4 July 2013
Fast delivery, product did exactly what I required it too and very well. I use it for tempering chocolate and find it works perfect for me. Great value for money, easy to use.
on 8 March 2014
Having used the thermometer regularly since purchase, wonder how I ever managed without it. It is easy to operate and takes very little cleaning after use. I now firmly believe that the thermometer should be an essential piece of equipment it every kitchen.
on 29 July 2015
Dissapointing. The thermometer was very slow at reading temperature then would not turn off or even hold. I had to disconnect the battery to turn it off. Have since bought a more expensive replacement. It really does not pay to buy cheap.
on 1 May 2013
This thermometer is simple and easy to use. Insert the probe into the object or liquid you want to measure and turn it on, when the temperature stops going up or down, you have your answer. If you have an awkward viewing angle, you can press the 'hold' button to save the current temperature until you've had a chance to write it down.

The thermometer is easy to clean and comes in a rigid and resilient storage/travel tube.

Very effective for such a cheap product!