4.0 out of 5 stars Ace pants
Nice and comfortable to wear, plenty of useful pockets. Belt could do with been a bit sturdier, clip fastening can easily be undone, but no major inconvenience. When ordering mine I took the advice of a previous reviewer who said to get the next size down in waist size, ie if 36 get 34. They do come rather generous in size, 34 was just right. Overall a good buy.
Published on 15 Nov. 2010 by Roland

It's not actually a bad pair of trousers but, compared to what they used to be like, just not as good. Still the same "generous" cut as the old version.I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it! so, what's changed?

Pro:
* Wider belt loops. Makes it easier to insert and remove belt; makes it easier to use a wider belt if required -- and it is...
Published 24 months ago by Tetenterre

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly cost-cutting has diminished what used to be a good product, 3 May 2013

Pro:
* Wider belt loops. Makes it easier to insert and remove belt; makes it easier to use a wider belt if required -- and it is!

Con:
* Light-weight belt webbing. This means that, under tension, it distorts so it is like a piece of cord; uncomfortable.
* The bars on the "male" bit of the belt buckle are inadequate and break under tension.
* Shallow pockets. They've reduced the depth of the hip pockets (as measured from the bottom of the slit opening) from 14cm to 8cm. Even handkerchiefs fall out just from normal walking around. This renders the unzipped pocket worse than useless; the zipped one is just about tolerable.

Frankly, given that the cost of an item like this is mostly in the labour, not the fabric, it is royally idiotic to reduce the quality of what was once a very good product just to save a few square centimetres of fabric. Irritating decision!

Edit, 2014 Jan 01: The stitching on the cargo pocket is beginning to come undone. This is unacceptable for something that is only 8 months old and is probably a consequence of cheap manufacturing and poor quality control: I have two other pairs of Craghopper trousers, both of which I have had since 1999; one of them has been really badly abused (caving, sailing, etc), but the pocket stitching is still intact.

1.0 out of 5 stars The new Craghopper Kiwi, 13 April 2013
David Lever - See all my reviews
I've been wearing Craghopper Kiwi trousers for about the last 10 years and seldom wear anything else, the generous cut allows for total freedom of movement, the material is great for all seasons- quick drying and hard wearing. Having just ordered a couple of new ones I was amazed to discover that the design that has been tried and tested over the years has been abandoned, and is superseded by altering the tailoring around the crotch area and reducing the width of the thighs by 7 cm. The result is that they have designed the legs to be too tight, and the pockets which were quite generous, have now been reduced so much as to be useless. Craghopper, you have lost the plot and a regular customer.

David Lever

1.0 out of 5 stars What have Craghoppers done?, 20 Sept. 2013
J. Jenkins - See all my reviews
This review is from: Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Mens Walking Trousers (Sports Apparel)
I love craghopper products, I had hats, shirts, fleeces, shorts and several pairs of trousers (13 in all).
I decided to replace my Craghopper Kiwi's classic with new pairs, the old ones were still in good condition but were showing their age.
I sadly lost all my gear in a house explosion and was about to replace all the things that I have lost (everything).
So I bought a new pair which arrived today. Black 34in short leg.
Huge, huge disappointment. What have they done?
The material is much lower quality, the fit is terrible, I could barely get them on. I have been wearing Craghopper shorts all Summer long.
All my old Kiwi's fitted perfectly.
The new style pockets are so shallow I cannot get my whole hand into them and I can see that things will fall easily out of them. The crotch is too high now and looks awful when worn. The seat is too snug and just from flexing I can tell the seams will just tear when out on the mountains.
I am not built like a marathon runner but more along a sprinters build. Craghoppers always were a wonderful fit and such good quality.
No more! Bring back the old cut, materials and quality and I will keep buying. I will purchase no more if they remain like this.
Such a huge shame as it was once a great company with quality you could rely on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bait and switch - not what Kiwis used to be, 24 Oct. 2013
Just adding to the points made by others ...

I also have been buying Craghoppers Kiwi's for years and this latest pair are a big change from the ones I already have. Poorer materials, poor stitching and poorer design.

As I write this I'm on a trip and the stitching on one of the front zip pickets has failed. The zip is just peeling away from the trousers. I'll have to make a bodge field repair and then pay to have them fixed properly when I get home.

Trust is such a precious and valuable thing. If Craghoppers wanted to try a down market cheaper version of the Kiwi they should have given it a new name like Kiwi-Lite. As it is they have tarnished a really valuable and (until now!) trusted brand. Previously I have ordered Kiwi brand trousers with great confidence that I'll get a good product ... no longer. I won't be buying from Craghoppers again for fear they'll pull the same bait and switch trick again. Unless, perhaps, if they come clean about this blunder, promise not to do it again, then maybe when I need more travel gear I'll think about them again. But I'm not holding my breath.

1.0 out of 5 stars craghopper kiwis, 4 July 2012
have worn these trousers for years and worn others too but im afraid the last 2 pairs i bought are the last il ever wear! the buttons have fallen off both pairs the material looks cheap and the stitching is a complete joke..these used to be the best iv ever worn on all fronts and occassions but something has changed about the quality and materials used so its a sad farewell to craghopper and hello mr rohan.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Ace pants, 15 Nov. 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid trousers at a good price., 20 April 2011
These were bought to replace another pair of Craghoppers trousers, that happily are too large in waist for me now!

The trousers themselves are made of a poly-cotton blend that is nice and strong, light and dries quickly. I'm usually not a fan of synthetics, but these trousers manage to get the mix right and have a much more "natural" feel to most other poly-cotton I have tried on.

There are plenty of pockets, including a map pocket on the thigh that has a smaller pocket inside (for mobile phone, etc). The upper pockets are deep and each have a 2nd, zip-up pocket behind, for storing important items.

The only niggles are that the stitching holding the waist button on could be doing with being a bit stronger and the new design of the belt buckle seems to be somewhat flimsier than on my previous pair. These shouldn't put you off though, as I reckon these are the best trousers to be had at this price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable walking / outdoors trousers, 7 July 2010
Lightweight and water resistant (drips run down them as if on the surface of an apple), toughened but not rough, and forever keeping my legs at the correct temperature regardless of the weather or how much exercise I perform, this product ticks the comfort and practicality boxes with ease.

The double thigh pockets are well designed with a zipped pocked half an inch below an open pocket on either side for convenience purposes, and with a sizable Velcro leg pocket on the lower right thigh and a quick-release belt, the trousers are all-round practical outdoor attire.

If bought to wear with a pair of walking boots, I personally cannot stress enough that buying a longer pair is definitely worth it for those regular occasions when you stretch out or crouch down and don't wish to expose your lower legs. The relatively narrow bottoms of the trousers will never slide past the base of the boots making them a perfect combination.

Quick drying, resistant to picking up smells due to the waxed surface and quite a challenge to permanently get dirty, assuming you don't burn a hole through them with a camp fire or slice them with a sharp knife (a blunt blade would likely slide off the surface), these trousers should last months unwashed in the rough.

One of the best walking trousers on the market, and very reasonably priced, buy a pair which fit and match your colour preference and you simply can't go wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to be good but quality now not there...., 9 Feb. 2013
Mark Edser - See all my reviews
I had a couple of pairs of these a few years back which were great and eventually wore out- bought the 'new' kiwi trousers- what a difference! Now made in china out of material half the thickness, and the stitching seems to have been done in the dark. The belt is too short to go around the waist-band and the zips feel like they'll last about 20 seconds.
Shame as craghoppers used to be reasonable kit and a good price- quality just not there now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Poor Kiwis., 23 April 2014
I have worn dozens of pairs of kiwi trousers in the past and have found them excellent. Unfortunately Craghoppers have now ruined this once fine product.It looks like penny pinching in extreme.The cut is now mean.The fabric has become like tissue.The front pockets are now so shallow as to be useless.The waistband has lost a layer of fabric..There are fewer belt loops.The webbing of the belt is now feeble.They call them trousers but they are now flat.They used to have a front crease and looked quite smart.The now look like pyjama bottoms.Overall they are now a shabby product.I have brand new pairs from previous years in storage and can compare them directly.They are like chalk and cheese.They still dare to call them classic.That is an affront to the trade description act.I Know its a bit nerdy but I weighed old and new pairs and found the new ones are 150 grams less.This is twenty percent and therefore they can now get five pairs made instead of four.I think they will lose far more customers than they gain.For certain they have lost me.There are now better products by other manufacturers, so go to them.

Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Mens Walking Trousers