5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer
Published 17 months ago by Carmen

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I was fairly disappointed as this book didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already.
Published 4 months ago by jigsawing momma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Changer, 28 July 2013
Carmen (Kent. England. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acrylic Solutions: Exploring Mixed Media Layer by Layer (Kindle Edition)
I only recently discovered Julie Prichard and serendipitously it was at the same time as she was releasing this book with Chris Cozen. (Who I had yet to discover.) At the time the book on Amazon was £16.99 and I will admit I thought that was expensive. I searched everywhere to try and get it cheaper. (I'd like to inject here that I'm not a Scrooge just really skint.) About the same time I won £10.00 online with one of those free birthday lotteries - it seemed the Fates wanted me to buy this book. So I did.

First impressions - the book is a nice size. Hardbacked and roughly 11x9" and 127 pages (incl index etc.) The pages are spiral bound and I have found this format excellent for working through the book. It either lays flat or, if I'm short of space I can stand it on end without fear of losing my place or it falling over.

The authors both very openly admit that they purely use only GOLDEN products. They also say that's just their preference and to experiment and see what works best for you. I have seen some reviews slamming them for this and I'm not sure why. I don't own a single GOLDEN product - never tried that brand, just haven't found any where I shop. I worked through this book with what I had on hand - this was Liquitex and the Winsor & Newton Galleria mediums, Kaiser Colour, Eco and Liquitex Basics paints plus my big old tub of white gesso. (I think that might be W&N too.) The techniques worked very well for me - so if you are put off the book because of the GOLDEN references and can't be bothered to see what is actually available to you - the book wont be for you. And it will be your loss.

The main body of the book comes in 5 chapters:
1 - The Basics: design, colour, materials and more
2 - Laying a Good Foundation
3 - Adding Structure
4 - Developing Complexity
5 - Finessing the Details

Every page of the book is scattered with beautiful examples from both Julie and Chris and there are various step by step exercises with clear pictures throughout the chapters for you to complete. Again - I didn't have all the colours they used and sometimes not all the different textured mediums. I just used what I have.

Hands up - I am still only two thirds through this book but I got to page 24 and realised this was not a book you just read. This is a book you work through. To me it feels like a workshop in book form. So I went back to the beginning and started afresh. I still haven't finished the book because I keep stopping to try everything out. I have been 'messing about' with Acrylics for a couple of years but never got past feeling like I was just messing about. No matter how I researched I never did understand what all the mediums did. Or how to blend and get depth. The mediums are explained clearly over and over again. What they do, how they work with other mediums, water, paint etc. Never again will I stand in The Range looking at the shelves and just... not know. I have a shopping list pages long of things I want to try, different mediums and tools. It's not all new - I love my texture and drips but I've learnt new ways of incorporating them, layering them, blending them. Bringing it all together - knowing when to stop.

This book, hand on heart, has already become the most used and abused art book I own. The cover and pages splattered in paint. I no longer think the initial £16.99 was expensive - although, already it can be bought much cheaper than that. I actually think the amount of information packed in here, for me, they have been incredibly generous.

Acrylic Solutions is a book I will refer back to again and again. It's been a game changer.

(Adapted from a review on my blog where I also include pictures of things I've done while working through the book.)

5.0 out of 5 stars A mixed media must-have!, 12 Jun 2013
I've been a fan of Chris Cozen and Julie Prichard's art and online teaching for a long time and really been looking forward to their book, which far surpassed my expectations! I love the fact that it's spiral bound within a hard cover because this will be a "working" book for me, so the convenience of it being durable and opening flat is a real bonus.

It's jam-packed with techniques to try, so if you're new to mixed media, the projects are exciting and inspiring. Having enjoyed mixed media for some time, my mind is buzzing with variations and ideas I want to experiment with, so this book is definitely going to stretch me as an artist.

The content is beautifully photographed throughout; the different stages of the techniques demonstrated are very clearly illustrated and easy to follow. Moreover, aside from being a user-friendly working book, I also value it as a coffee-table book to flick through and enjoy the photos of Chris and Julie's art. Win:win!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 16 May 2013
Georgia Denby (UK) - See all my reviews
Though I was expecting more pages, what there is is wonderful. Full of ideas of painting in a different way or new things Ive never tried.
If your a 'suck it and see' artist like me, this book will really inspire!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift, 17 Oct 2013
Was an instant hit with the friend I bought it for. Has great ideas to work through and then apply to own style. Good for experienced and those with not so much.
Good purchase!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Art lovers, 9 Jun 2014
Great read for expanding ways with acrylics. I am still exploring the great ideas and techniques so thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars book review, 26 Mar 2014
Would recommend this book good layout and informative.plenty of good ideas to help you along on your creative artistic journey

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this book to anyone looking to unlock their inner ..., 14 Oct 2014
I found this colourful book inspiring. I can't wait to practice this unusual form of art. I recommend this book to anyone looking to unlock their inner talents.

5.0 out of 5 stars acrylic solutions, 5 Mar 2014
Ms. A. Manser - See all my reviews
Great book for anyone who is stuck in a rut and wants some inspiration or for learner artists wanting to know how to get the best out of their paints

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 5 July 2013
Im really interested in giving a new twist to my paintings and i was looking for some new techniques, especially around abstract art. This folder/book is really useful and has some gorgeous images. My only issue with it is that you dont always see the images from begining to end but im sure it will be fab for what i was after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Book, 19 May 2013
If you want to really learn about painting with acrylics then buy this book. The tutorials are clear, easy to follow and full of inspirational ideas, each time I open it I see something new. I just hope they follow it up with a second book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›