5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner
Photo Sport Pro 30L AW

The name says it all - 30 litre capacity and A WINNER ( it really means All-Weather )

Published 14 months ago by GratuitousViolets

3.0 out of 5 stars big, bulky but not completely practical
This is a very solidly built pack with a well padded section for a camera and plenty of storage room in the backpack proper for anything else you'd like to carry. It comes with a built in rain cover and some elasticated webbing that doesn't seem to be of any real use (certainly it won't be any good for a tripod.
As mentioned elsewhere the chest strap is poor too,...
Published 13 months ago by Mr. M. E. Merritt

4.0 out of 5 stars Great versatility, 18 Nov 2013
D. Richards (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lowepro Photo Sport Pro 30L AW Backpack for DSLR Camera - Slate Grey (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This bag is a great. It can be used as a day bag for walking, or as a DLSR carry bag.

For camera use, The bottom end of the bag is dedicated to the safe storage of the camera, and has plenty of padding and pockets to keep the camera and any other accessories safe and secure. The side zip pocket also means that acessing the camera is quick and easy too, and so far I have not had any problems with space, everything is big enough to store everything I need

The bottom section also pulls out completley allowing you to use this as a day bag when walking. It even has a H2O gap at the top of the bag allowing the use of a water bladder inside the bag if needed. When empty, I have managed to get a 2 litre bladder in in the there with no problems, however with the camera section in the bottom, I can just about manage to store a 1 litre bladder. The bag also has a top (chest) and bottom (waist) clasp that keeps the bag secure, as you would expect to find on all walking bags / backpacks.

My only slight criticism of the bad is that the shoulder straps are a little bit too thin, and when carrying a camera, some water and a few other bits and bobs in the bag (like a compass, map and jetboil) they tend to dig in to the shoulders, making it a touch uncomfortable to use.

Overall though, this is a great, versatile bag and well worth getting if you have a think fleece ot coat to wear under it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner, 22 Oct 2013
GratuitousViolets "Ash" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Photo Sport Pro 30L AW

Nice big roomy bag with loads of pockets all over. The top section is a large roomy pocket with enough room for a warm jersey or light jacket, (and sandwiches of course) this can be well secured by the drawstring, and then fastened down by the hood with two straps.

Further down the front is a large open pocket, easy access for maps etc.

To one side is an elasticated pocket just the right sixe for a water bottle - it also features an adjustable strap to secure your bottle tightly.

(A tight bottle is a must when scaling rocky outcrops for that perfect picture)
I liked the small zippered pockets either side of the waist belt strap, very handy for keys, debit cards etc, (and cigs and zippo lighter).

Now the all important bit...

The camera compartment is accessed from the side, meaning I can slide one arm out and swivel the bag around without actually taking it from my back to get my camera out.

As always with Lowepro the actual camera compartment is very well padded to protect your valuable equipment, and this compartment also slides out so that you can get access

to spare lenses in the rear and if required use the compartment as a separate carry bag.

Loads of straps on this bag, there are straps and D rings everywhere so that you can carry a bedding roll, small pup tent or even a tripod!

The Waist strap and chest strap mean that the bag is held firmly over rough terrain, and if it rains there is even an all-weather hood that

pops out the bottom to ensure everything stays dry.

A great backpack with the quality that comes from Lowepro - you won't be disappointed with this one. 5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe and secure, 30 Oct 2013
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tested a couple of Lowepro camera bags before (the Lowepro Flipside Sport 20L AW Backpack, and the Lowepro Nova 160 AWwhich is more suited to my current needs).

The Lowepro Photo Sport Pro is roughly the same size and shape as the Flipside Sport but is much more suited for hiking and rural photographers where snapping pics isn't the priority. Virtually all of the space inside the Flipside Sport was reserved for lenses while this one is designed to be used as a rucksack with camera space.

I actually found the camera space within this bag to be a nice little feature as it pops out of the bottom section and can be carried separately. The padding and zippers keep it all snug and safe and will give you peace of mind for when you are out in the wilderness. The main rucksack space is big enough to hold a decent amount of maps, lunchboxes, pullovers, jackets, other equipment etc. There are several buckles and straps, which might be a bit daunting at first.

Lowepro are the best when it comes to camera bags and you can rest assured that money spent on this product is a good investment. It is sturdy, durable, and will most definitely keep your valuable equipment safe from the elements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cautious recommendation, 22 July 2014
I had been searching for some time for a suitable combination day sack and camera backpack and decided to take the plunge with this one.
I have used it on a number of outings and my findings are as follows:
Pros:
The camera compartment is large enough to take a DSLR (mine's a Canon 5D and it fits comforably) fitted with a 70-200mm zoom. The removable camera pouch has two velcro adjustable baffles and with careful adjustment you can stop the camera from slopping/sliding about when on the move. On non-photo days (or on days when you are happy to take a compact) removing the camera pouch opens up the space for more storage. Being a separate compartment accessible from the side and opened quickly with a zip means that there is no scrabbling to get into the top of the rucksack and hauling out other stuff when a photo opportunity arises. The camera pouch has a reassuring amount of padding and provides good protection from the inevitable knocks and scrapes on rocks, stiles, walls, gateposts, barbed wire, and other hazards encountered on a typical walk.
There's useful external pouch for water bottle on the opposite side to the camera compartment opening. There is the facility to use a hydration system, though I haven't used it.
There is an external mesh back, though the actual gap between back and sack when worn fully loaded is minimal.
A pull-out waterproof cover is stored in the base, which I have yet to test in anything like extreme conditions.
Cons:
The clips on the sack closing straps are small, very tight and fiddly to operate, and I find them almost impossible to operate with gloved hands, and even difficult to operate with bare hands which are wet and cold.
The internal baffle division between camera compartment and the upper compartment is not sealed at one side and at the back with the result that smaller items stored in the top compartment inevitably work their way through the gap and end up under the lower camera compartment, where, with the sack is full, they are almost inaccessible without first emptying the whole sack, which is not at all good if you quickly need access to (for example) a head-torch or energy boosting snack, and realize it has disappeared into the bowels of the sack. This could be remedied by adding a rucksack liner or large dry bag in the top compartment, but it seems a curious design flaw. Although there are two lightweight pairs of loops on either side of the back which appear to be intended for carrying walking poles, there is no central attachment points for carrying a tripod, which is a lamentable omission on a camera backpack.

I can't say anything about durability because I have not had it for long enough or tested in under extreme conditions, although I note the fabric of the bag appears rather thin compared to what I am used to in a day sack.

Overall, although I am reasonably happy with the purchase so far, I am disappointed with a couple of glaring design defects, which I feel could have been eliminated if Lowepro had done some decent field testing on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A most excellent product - extremely well thought out, 26 Nov 2013
Jimbo "Jimbo L" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very well thought out product and is a definite winner. I am a cycle commuter as well as owning a DSLR camera, so the chance to try this out meant I could test it both as a backpack and as a camera case (which is what this is in it's simplest terms).
First of all as a camera case - I recently took the train up to Edinburgh from Manchester for a weekend and used the Lowepro backpack to hold my camera and assorted lenses, cleaning products, zoom lens, together with clothes, a kindle, an ipod and various other necessities for a weekend away. This made the backpack reasonably heavy, but the design means that the weight is evenly distributed over your shoulders and waist (thanks to the nifty, although confusing at first, multiple ways to attach this to your person). I had no problems carrying this around and as the well designed camera compartment is easily reached via the side zip, it was easy to take photos as and when without disturbing the multitude of additional items I had with me. The camera compartment is detachable, has multiple pockets and is perfect for purpose.
Secondly as a backpack - this is excellent for cycling due to the excellent weight distribution, great all weather proofing so copes with rain, sleet etc. and unlike normal rucksacks it is very light and also due to the internal strengthening, very robust and fits perfectly against your back.
Overall this is an excellently designed multi purpose backpack and is great for carrying your camera and all other bits and bobs for a weekend away.

3.0 out of 5 stars big, bulky but not completely practical, 16 Nov 2013
Mr. M. E. Merritt "MattMerritt" (Portsmouth UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As mentioned elsewhere the chest strap is poor too, failing to give the comfort or security it was added for.
In all a good solid pack, though probably a touch expensive for what you get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but only for its small demographic!, 28 Nov 2013
Lewis Hiley (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been searching for a decent backpack/holdall which would adequately carry both my laptop and DSLR for a long time seeing as I frequently travel and need a large, yet not obtrusively so, bag in order to carry on board aircraft as my hand luggage. Once I found the Photo Sport Pro 30L AW I thought that I had maybe just come across the right bag - I was right, but not as right as I wanted to be unfortunately.

First off, let me say that this is a VERY GOOD backpack, it is extremely large and holds a variety of items. This however is perhaps one of its downfalls, it was actually a little bigger than I was expecting and while this means that a lot of equipment can be packed into it, it can be a bit too bulky to carry around all day. Perfect if you were shooting in a remote location and lets say needed to hike up a mountain. Not so perfect for walking around Amsterdam when on holiday - although I do acknowledge that this isn't the primary market!

With that being said I was a little disappointed that Lowepro were not able to fit a laptop sleeve/compartment into the bag, there is certainly enough room and it feels as though they just have not thought about that aspect of photography to me. A laptop in a sleeve can easily fit in the central compartment, so it is possible to carry one, its just not "made for it" I guess you would say.

The weather protection seems very adequate and although I have to admit that it has not been completely pushed to the limit (yet!) I have no worries that it will not hold up from the odd snow storm or two this coming winter.

This leaves me with the two main categories left to cover, so first I will start off by explaining what this bag was actually made for! The camera compartment is quite good indeed, it has enough room for my 60D and a couple of lenses and various equipment to be stored inside the soft section - so it does score highly there. However, the "quick access" pouch does seem to be a little too impractical for my liking, making the wearer swivel round at an awkward angle to access the camera. Don't get me wrong, it is useful! Just not to the extent I think it was marketed with.

My final category has to be comfort. Although there seems to be mixed reviews on the comfort of this backpack, I myself have no trouble with it. I feel that the weight is distributed evenly and the straps provide enough support to never dig into my shoulders, even with a full load. The material is lightweight in order to provide breath-ability in hot conditions, yet it is also well padded so you do not notice this on winter/autumn hikes.

Overall, I would rate the Lowepro 30L AW highly. I have to admit that I had high hopes for this backpack from the onset, due to the price and marketing and this however leads me onto the fatal point. Personally I just feel that its a little too expensive. I mean after all it is just a backpack, I know its a Lowepro but still! The one positive side of this I guess is that I expect it will last me a long time and we will share many memories together for the foreseeable future. Therefore my overall verdict would be, if you are looking for an all weather, all terrain adventure pack to carry your camera and supplies in for the weekend then look no further - for all others uses it could come off as being a bit overkill, especially considering the price you will be paying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag., 15 Jan 2014
This is a fantastic bag. I've bought many camera bags over the years, but this one is by far the best. Weight is distributed evenly, and everything is accessibly. The only thing drawback is the buckle clasps are a little smaller than some other bags and can be a bit awkward in the cold or with gloves on.

But otherwise a fantastic piece of equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessibility and Roominess, 28 Nov 2013
G. J. Oxley "Gaz" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This 30L bag sat nicely on my back as I cycled to a local scenic spot to take some photos.

The material - and bag - are fully waterproof and it's also easy to remove the odd spot of mud from the synthetic, 'technical' material. The backback itself is well-manufactured and well thought-out with plenty of pockets for a variety of gadgets. The chief selling point is you can pull your camera out in a second due to it being enclosed in a removable pod-type arrangement. There's also room for a few lenses in there, and, allegedly it will carry a tripod on the side - though I haven't tried this out as I take hand-held shots only..

The backpack is roomy and as it's a Lowepro, it comes with almost iconic status. Only thing holding it back from a 5 star recommendation is the price!

3.0 out of 5 stars Plenty Of Storage But At The Expense Of Comfort?, 28 Nov 2013
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Designed for active outdoor photographers the "Lowerpro Photo Sport Pro Backpack" features a removable camera compartment, air-flow suspension system, a number of different sized storage pockets and side access for you DSLR.

The bag offers plenty of internal storage space not just for you DSLR but for also additional equipment you may want to make with you like maps, rain jacket or a snack or two to keep your energy levels up.

Being able to access the camera compartment from the side is a great advantage as it means you don't have to stop and remove the bag from your back everytime you want to take a photo.

While there are plenty of features to keep you happy, there were a few points that I found disapointing. Firsty the the shoulder straps are thin and could do with additional padding especially if you plan to carry a lot of equipment with you. Finally the price seems a bit high considering you can get other very good Lowepro backpacks for less.

If you really need size and storage space then you've come to the right place. If you want comfort and value for money I'd pick a different Lowepro bag.