4.0 out of 5 stars Guest review from Meabh, fantasy book lover ;)
As I never read fantasy or sci-fi books, I asked my good friend and fantasy lover Meabh to review this trilogy for me. This is the first part and reviews for the next two installments will follow shortly..............

Shadow and Bone is the first book in the Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. It follows the journey of Alina, a young, lonely orphan who discovers...
Published 9 months ago by bleachhouselibrary

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after all the hype
Now, where to start my review of this book. So many people have absolutely loved this book and it has countless gushing reviews on Goodreads, however, for me this book was incredibly disappointing. In saying that, I did not hate this book, nor was I bored by the story and so I finished the book in no time. However, there are so many aspects to this book that disappointed...
Published 16 months ago by The Irish Bookworm

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark, hypnotic fantasy., 27 Feb. 2015
Shadow and Bone is a dark, hypnotic fantasy which threatens to suck any reader down into its murky depths where you’ll meet sinister, magnetic characters, such as the commanding anti-hero – The Darkling…

Leigh Bardugo’s seductive writing brings to life an exotic story-world so realistic you’ll find yourself at the heart of darkness where things are not always what they seem.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fasciniating read, 10 Dec. 2013
From the moment you start on this book, it grips you tightly and won't let go. It is brilliant fantasy and the bad guy is stunning. The writing is descriptive and vivid but beware this is not a young teens book. I think 14 + and honestly adults will like it even more than teens. I have already bought the sequel but am holding off reading it because Book 3 doesn't come out till 2014.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shadow and Bone, 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Shadow and Bone: The Grisha 1 (Kindle Edition)
Alina`s journey to leave behind her orphaned past and become Grisha was not at all what she expected. The Darkling who seemed to care for her is revealed as a controlling force of evil and not to be trusted when he tries to kill Alina`s childhood love, Mal. I am really looking forward to reading more of this compelling series.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK start, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Shadow and Bone: The Grisha 1 (Kindle Edition)
I'm kind of unsure of how to rate this. I wasn't entirely engrossed in it but I did like it by the end. 3 star, I think.

At the beginning of this I can't say that I saw much of a blooming relationship between Mal and Alina. They'd been friends for years and though Alina liked him romantically, Mal didn't seem to feel the same way.`

That's probably why when the Darkling started to show interest in her that I jumped on ship with it and waited for something to happen. Only when something did, I wasn't entirely convinced by it.

As for the rest of the plot with the Unsea, I found myself getting more into it the closer we got to the end of the book as deception and intrigue came about.

I definitely think it has left me intrigued enough about the outcome of the events following the ending, that I will continue the series at some point.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Shadow and Bone: The Grisha 1 (Kindle Edition)
This book had so much promise, but sometime after the halfway point it felt as if the author started rushing things - the story was trotted out in a fast, predictable and increasingly uninteresting way. I ended up finishing it for the sake of it; it was strange to feel more bored by it at the same time as the most 'exciting' events were happening. Compared to how I felt earlier on, I found at the end that I didn't much care what happened to anyone in future books!

The world that the author has created is unique and compelling, but although much of the early part of the book is spent immersing the reader in it, it is forgotten in favour of (what feels like) getting the story over and done with with later on. As things pick up towards the end it starts to feel like a screenplay rather than a novel.

The author says she was inspired by epic fantasy, and I wish she had made this more epic - in my opinion it would have worked far better as a slow build rather than what ended up being a rushed 'action-packed' story. It too often lacks subtlety and depth, and too little time and care are given to things that seem more significant than the author is willing to acknowledge (e.g. characters switching sides from 'good' to 'evil'). There were several situations/characters which were set up to be more complex than they turn out to be - people who seem conflicted and shrouded in mystery just show their hands at the end and it feels a bit flat and disappointing.

Some reviews are touting this as a book for adults rather than just for Young Adults or children, and at first I would have agreed, but having finished it I have to say it comes across as a book for younger readers (I'd put it at the younger end of Young Adult) and doesn't hold up as an adult book.

If you enjoyed Wither (The Chemical Garden, Book 1), The Hunger Games and Divergent (Divergent, Book 1) then you may well enjoy this. Just don't expect the masterpiece that the hype suggests.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but hardly high fantasy, 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Shadow and Bone: The Grisha 1 (Kindle Edition)
I did enjoy this book - it's fairly compelling and fast paced, but to compare it to Tolkein is just outrageous! It's fantasy for young adults which most people would enjoy. A rung below Laini Taylor I'd say. I'm planning on reading the rest of the series but I can't see it moving beyond light entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 16 Jun. 2014
S. Edwards-Sim "sme" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow and Bone: The Grisha 1 (Kindle Edition)
My mum reads alot and she reccomended this to me. Every book that mum reccomends to me usually ends up being brilliant (5th wave and Wild boy) so I decided to give this a go. This was no exeption to the other books reccomended to me. I like trilogies and await the third book in the series (hope the ending is nothing like hunger games!).

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Shadow and Bone: The Grisha 1 (Kindle Edition)
What an intelligent and amazing writer. I loved the story and the characters. Can't wait to read more by Leigh Bardugo.

5.0 out of 5 stars a new adventure ..., 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Shadow and Bone: The Grisha 1 (Kindle Edition)
When I first picked up this book I was expecting just another generic YA fantasy novel. It follows the same structure as a couple other recently popular books of the same genre... Leading lady tells the story, leading lady gets thrown into difficult circumstance, leading lady has an awkward three way relationship, leading lady teams up with others and comes out on top. It has all these things... And so much more!!!!

I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved book while in egypt, 25 Mar. 2014
L. R. Mepsted (Rochester, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow and Bone: The Grisha 1 (Kindle Edition)
excellent way of whiling away the hours when unable to top up my T MOBILE phone. ope u c this review in ur email.

Shadow and Bone: The Grisha 1