4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of potential, maybe not for everyone
Got mine today and reading other review I thought the controller would be pretty basic almost prototype stage.
I've been using it a few hours now and I can say it's definitely fulfilled my best expectations for it.

Published 19 months ago by Mr. C. H. Johnstone

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Technology
I purchased the Leap Motion Controller after seeing one used for an interactive display in China.

I knew that I was buying it more from curiosity than for a genuine practical application and at the moment, I would suggest that that is the way in which it should be viewed.

Published 19 months ago by Captain of Fun

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Technology, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Leap Motion Controller (Interacts with your Mac or PC) (Personal Computers)

As an old bloke with a depressingly long history with technology I can remember when the first mouse was launched; YUP there was life before the Mouse. Many of the criticisms that you will read in some of the reviews for the Leap Motion Controller were uttered about the Mouse when it was first launched, except of course in those days the interweb had not been invented so you would only hear the comments in bars and pubs...remember those funny old days when we used to share our opinions face to face?

So my overall summary is:

1) Cute technology that is still to some extent looking for a purpose if you are buying it for personal use.
2) Yes it does require you to hone your motor skills, so if you lack patience then look elsewhere, but then you are unlikely to be an early adopter anyway
3) If you buy it, stick with it

Why 3 Stars? Well 5 Stars for the build quality and technology etc. but until its real purpose bursts forth it can only be 3 stars.

But three stars that are great fun :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of potential, maybe not for everyone, 18 Oct. 2013
Mr. C. H. Johnstone (uk) - See all my reviews

I'm quite a big gadget freak and this is a must have for any sci-fi fanatic or for anyone who is bored of using conventional means of controlling a computer. The thing itself is rather small and very nicely made. You can clearly see when it's active or not as the laser transmitters glow a nice red and the rubber bottom helps to stop it sliding around so it can be easily put onto a laptop surface.

I did have a couple of glitches while installing, I'm on win7 and to start it didn't like the usb 3 port I gave it then was a bit iffy with finding the installation package downloaded off the website. So if you're technically handicapped you may find it a bit frustrating or confusing to start.

The laser mapping itself is rather large, which is good as it has very nice depth perception but can be a bit off when pointing/moving from one side to another and you may find yourself pointing well away from the screen to get to where you want to go (I recommend setting auto to the height mapping, then it'll adjust to keep you pointing correctly)

I think they have released a fair few updates for it as I find it very responsive and accurate but in terms of mapping how many fingers you're holding up (which is used to select things) it will misjudge but it's not too bad.

There's a store with a load of paid and a few free apps, the best I've found being "Touchless" this allows you to actually control the desktop and everything else (except steam) with the leap. It's very handy. I also like the pre installed "instructions" which are very well constructed and simple. The creative apps are kinda expensive and I wouldn't recommend buying until further performance updates are released. Anything music related is amazing though.

Overall I really like it, it has a good bit of room for improvement and the app store needs to grow but it's also obviously made a lot of progress from reading old reviews and comparing. Buy if you're eager but if you can wait it'll be worth it to see the future updates make life easier for installation and use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad!, 12 Oct. 2014
I've owned a Leap Motion controller since last Christmas, and have had a lot of time to try it out on my old laptop and gaming computer. I must say, I'm very confused with all of the bad reviews on here.

EDIT: I just updated to Version 2 (software update), and it's twice as good. It's a lot more accurate, more apps for it, generally more awesome. Definitely better than it was before, although even Version 1 isn't that bad. Old review:

Many people complain it doesn't work in 'normal' conditions. Mine however, works perfect, in all types of light (although I will admit it appears to work slightly better in darker conditions). Those of you having problems with it jittering about, it could just be your computer. I found this worked pretty pathetically on my laptop, but it works fine on my newer computer.

The built in app for controlling your computer is Touchless, which I found to be rather effective on my laptop, with a smaller display, but not so much on my computer, which has a ~25" display. I would highly recommend an app called Pointable, available for just £3.50 last time I checked, on the Airspace Store.

I'll admit, I find it easier to use the traditional mouse setup, since that's what I've grown up with, it's what we're all used to. People saying it's too hard to master, confusing, not practical - these are all things that were said about the mouse when it first came out.

At just £65, I think this is a good price for a good product. After using it for almost a year, I can confirm you do get used to it. My mouse actually broke on me for about a week, and I'll admit the Leap Motion was a pretty decent replacement for the time - but I wouldn't try and use it for gaming (well, I have tried it, and it wasn't nearly as fun as playing with a mouse, simply because most games aren't optimized for this technology).

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but ultimately just a gimmick at the moment, 3 Oct. 2014
It works well, it's accurate and it has a large space for you to interact with, the problem is what software to use it with, I'd use it more if there was stuff for it but ultimately most apps are third party and charge you to get them, whilst the apps generally work pretty well they don't really have a proper use. I was planning on using the controller as a mouse replacement on my laptop. and whilst touchless is good, it's too flawed to use as a mouse properly.

Really it's a cool, impressive product, but in the end you don't really use it, it's just a cool thing you can toy around with and show people

1.0 out of 5 stars needs a lot of work, 18 Aug. 2014
Terrible so not ready for market. A few little simple games work so so. But even after buying extra downloads. None of the commands as illustrated in the video worked at all. On my Samsung AVTI Touch screen, even though it already has a basic hand gesture system for sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice toy., 16 Jan. 2014
If you wanna use it as a toy, just buy without thinking the price. If you like it as some useful tool such as a replacement of mouse/keyboard then forget it completely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Toy - Not For Mainstream Yet, 19 Sept. 2013
As the first device on to market that does this it's a fantastic proof of concept, unfortunately it's not quite ready for the masses yet.

First off, since I got it 2 weeks ago there have been 2 updates both of which have improved the responsiveness considerably. It's good to see the company continually updating the product.

Physically the leap motion looks great, small and discrete. Personally I've positioned mine between the keyboard and the screen. This way I can use it my resting my elbows on my desk and it doesn't pick up unwanted movement when I type.

Setup is easy and downloads the latest software from the Airspace store which itself is slick and easy to use.

I've almost exclusively used the leap motion with GameWave which is an app you can download for the airspace store for ~$5 and one I'd highly recommend. It enables you to customise your movements to any keyboard/mouse movements you want. For example, if I circle my left finger it changes the current track playing. This is great when I'm in a full screen programme and means I don't have to change to my music player. Similarly mouse movements and web page scrolling are controlled with my right and left hands respectively.

With the Leap motion and GameWave controlling Windows is relatively easy, if a little slow due to occasional errors. Particularly I can navigate numerous internet sites solely using the leap motion which shows the accuracy of the pointing and ease of use. Similarly there are great examples online of controlling games such as Skyrim using the Leap Motion, unfortunately I haven't had time to try this myself.

However, beyond a few choice apps there seems to be limited use of the Leap Motion in day to day life. I hope that as the controller gets more popular and integrated by default in to hardware (a laptop is now out with the leap motion integrated) ingenious programmers will come up with many useful apps for the mass market.

To summarise, a fun toy and a great proof of concept but it may be a while before it finds its place in daily use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work in normal light, 2 Jun. 2014
Kirk McElhearn (Near Stratford-upon-Avon) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I’d long been tempted to try out the Leap Motion controller, out of curiosity. Recently, Amazon UK had a one-day sale, dropping the price from £70 to £43 (it’s currently selling for £50, so that price drop seems to have been just a small reduction on the new, lower price). I like the idea of being able to control a computer in different ways, and, while I’m not always a fan of gestures, I can see how using it for occasional gestures could be useful. I was particularly thinking about using it to control iTunes – play, pause, change volume – and to use with Dragon Dictate, when I dictate texts, to control the microphone.

The Leap Motion Controller is an attractive device, with a good idea behind it, but, alas, it fails miserably in normal conditions. You see, it doesn’t like light; it uses two cameras and an infrared sensor to detect motion, and light – particularly infrared light, such as produced by the sun – prevent it from working.

To start with, when you take it out of the box, then set it up, you’re pretty much on your own. After launch, a full-screen window opens with Airspace, where you can download a few apps, and try out Orientation, which seems to be something that shows how the device tracks your movements. All I got was a stuttery video that didn’t detect any movement at all, and just played annoyingly loud music. There’s no help about how to actually use the device.

There’s a video on the Leap website that shows you how to unbox it, connect it, and place it next to a computer, as well as a few videos that show you basics, but nothing more. To actually use it to control your computer, you have to search to find which apps can help. The videos suggest that you can put the device either in front of your keyboard or behind it, but when I placed it behind the keyboard, it hardly ever detected any movements.

So I opened the Leap Motion app and went to Settings. I saw a Troubleshooting tab, with a Recalibrate Device button. I figured that might be useful. I clicked the button, and saw a dialog that told me that my "current lighting conditions might be unsuitable." The device was in "robust mode."

As much as I searched, I have not been able to find what “Robust Mode” is. I then tried Diagnostic Testing, and found the real problem; there was simply too much light.

Since I don’t work in a basement, I have a window in my office; to the right of my desk. I also have a lamp to light my office, because that window, and the other window in my office, isn’t very large.

I went to the Leap website to see what troubleshooting information I could find. After searching, I discovered this text:

"The Leap Motion Controller achieves its best performance in an environment without any external infrared light sources. Because infrared light is invisible to the human eye, the source of the problem may not be immediately obvious.

"If this test fails, try lowering window blinds or curtains, if daytime. Turn off or relocate halogen or nearby incandescent lights. (Energy efficient lights such as florescent bulbs should not cause interference.)

"Note that the Leap Motion device will still work adequately under most poor lighting conditions. However, the tracking smoothness, range, and accuracy may suffer."

In other words, if you work in a room with lights in the daytime, the device won’t work very well. You’d think the company would put this in the device’s system requirements: Darkness Required. But, no, they’ve wasted my time, and their money, by selling me a device that isn’t fit for purpose.

As Steve Jobs once said:

"One of the things I’ve always found is that you’ve got to start with the customer experience and work backwards to the technology. You can’t start with the technology and try to figure out where you’re going to try to sell it."

I’m returning the Leap Motion to Amazon. While I like the concept, the implementation is poor. Not only does the company offer little real information about using the device, but it simply won’t work in normal conditions.

2.0 out of 5 stars lack of software lets it down, 31 July 2013
I preordered this device a while back, based on the marketing and videos of the device, games: fruit ninja, angry birds, 3d drawing, windows 8, all controlled easily and effortlessly. When I first used it, it was anything but.

Note, I disliked the multiple delays in the preorder, first it was early April, then May, and now it is the end of July, when I finally received it. I tried to ignore all reviews and videos of the device before I laid hands on it to try and remain impartial and unbiased, I can see now it was a big mistake.

Opening the sturdy well designed and packaged box is akin to opening an Apple product, plain and simple and no loose ends. Plug it in and download a setup file, greeted with a control panel in the tray area, an introduction demo of 'what and where it sees' and an Airspace app launcher - similar to the App store in iTunes. However, that's where the similarities end.

Firstly, if a tiny speck of dust lands on the device, a notification appears, saying smudge detected. If you have overhead lighting or nearby lighting of any kind, the device switches to 'robust' mode, I think that means it is less accurate. They didn't tell us about that in the preview videos.

The Airspace app - a grid of rectangular icons; a few apps start downloading, and a link to more apps sends straight to the browser. How do you control the app? With the mouse of course, there is no leap functionality here. The in-browser store has only a few apps, some Windows or Mac only, some both. Some of the software is quite expensive, and it feels a bit like throwing good money after bad. The few games provided, e.g. Cut the rope is almost unplayable, it doesn't recognise the 'cut' very well at all as you swipe across the rope. Dropchord - a music game controlled by two fingers, has potential but the graphics look a bit blurry. The Corel paint app - really impossible to draw anything accurately, the cursor jumps a bit and doesn't go where you want it to go, maybe due to the overhead lighting problem mentioned previously.

There is really no support for controlling the desktop, there is only a 'touchless' app apparently made by leap themselves - but it doesn't work well at all, I often ended up selecting text rather than scrolling in the browser. The mouse jumps from point to point instead of moving around normally. This is not a replacement to using the mouse, not even close.

And lastly, Google Earth - at first the thing was spinning wildly and would have a mind of its own. After around two hours of perseverance, I finally got the hang of it and was able to move around on all axes of the globe, and to any location quite readily. I slowly began to understand the hardware, what it sees, what it cannot see, the lack of pinpoint accuracy, and fidelity in certain lighting conditions. The time it takes to get accustomed to controlling the google earth is a moderate learning curve, and there is a lack of instructions on what the on-screen controls are doing. I often questioned which of the three areas the problems in my usage were occurring, the hardware, software or time spent using it. And most of the time I think the problem lies in the less than intuitive software.

In conclusion, the software is going to be the saviour or downfall of the hardware. Imagine buying a mouse with no mouse drivers, a car without a radio or transmission, a computer without an operating system, or an iPhone without a phone and only half working unresponsive touch controls. Leap motion need to focus on fixing and improving the software, and not have to rely on third parties for software development of their device. The software could be miles better, and they need to focus on putting more investment in this area.

They should not have to sell a product on hype and high expectations, but rather on a solid base of both hardware and software. Needless to say, I won't be preordering anything again, but I will be reading reviews first.

It has potential, but do not buy it now. Wait six to twelve months, and then come back again and see if the software has improved first.

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't really ask for much more., 15 April 2015
The Leap Motion is probably as good as a IR controller gets aspecially when it's this cheap. It's a little janky but if you keep it out of direct sunlight and recalibrate it from time to time it should work fine, takes some getting use to thought. And finally there is the lack of apps and games but lets be honest here, if all of us just sitts there and waits around for more games there will be no more games so I say if you're interested and can afford it you should go for it. The more people asking for games the more games there will be and if you're planning on buying an Oculus Rift this will be a must have.