I use this on all my leather goods. A little goes a long way. The neutral/clear colour means I can use it on any colour of leather. It really softens old leather up nicely, although a build-up of repeated applications is needed to fully nourish particularly hard and dry old leather. It doesn't seem to rot old stitching, which is a real bonus - as anyone who's tried something like neatsfoot oil will understand!

The handy sponge applicator in the tin makes this very handy, and ideal for packing when you go anywhere, as it's pretty-much a small self-contained leather-care kit in a tin. The amount you get in the tin is therefore less than it looks, but it will still last you months and months.

I use this mostly on my shoes - it's so quick, as it doesn't need to be buffed off. It provides an instant shine and nourishes the leather, deepening the colour. If you use too much or apply it very regularly, you will get a layer on the surface of the leather that will not sink in quickly. This doesn't seem to attract dust and isn't particularly visible. It does eventually either soak in or wear off.

I have used it on Dr Martens boots, and repeated applications do indeed soften the leather enough to shorten and ease the infamous breaking-in period. This is especially important if you buy the made-in-England ("vintage" range) Dr Martens, as the leather is firmer than the regular boots.

I have also used this to preserve and revitalise a vintage leather jacket, and the binding of an old book, and was very impressed with the results.
on 17 August 2014
Can't really give too much insight as to how well they soften the leather or if it makes it easier to break in a pair of boots, as I used them a few nights and the boots were easier to wear afterwards. Not sure if that was down to the Balsam or putting my feet through hell earlier with them.

What I can attest to is the way they bring the boots up. So black and shining you can see your face in them, with absolutely no polish. When the revolution comes and feckless tax dodgers like Amazon are thrust against the wall you can be certain you'll be the envy of your comrades with the results this product gives.

I would shop around before hand, though. Chances are good you might be able to find it in a DM store for less than a fiver.
on 21 June 2014
Excellent!,
Does what it says on the tin!
Perhaps a little small but nevertheless essential & effective.
Go ahead & buy it!
on 15 April 2014
really good quality product my boots are looking great
certainly recommend this to be purchased and real good for the value
on 22 January 2014
This was bought for my daughter's knee high New Dr Martens , she swears by it she heated her boots first with the hair drier then put this on , made the leather very very supple so much the boots broke in within a few days , worth every penny
on 7 February 2015
I have used this recently and found it very effective at softening up my DM boots, although to be fair they were pretty supple to begin with. Easy to apply and does what it says on the tin!!
on 23 June 2014
easy to aapply and dries in very quickly, does soften leather but requires several applications to soften, would recommend to all Dr Marten purchases
on 3 June 2014
I was very close to throw my old Dcs but this product made me change my mind!! A must indeed!
on 13 January 2016
The use of the word 'Wonder' and followed by the word 'Balsam' made me, well, wonder! When the tin arrived I was very, very surprised at the small size but that was my fault I should have taken more notice of the description of the product before placing the purchase. That said I think that the balsam is excellent if not 'wonderful'.
I tried to 'break-in' a pair of DM Chelsea Boots (sadly now made in Thailand) in my usual manner by wearing them as often as possible for 72+ hours. They were very tight and caused blisters and severe rubbing so I stopped wearing them until the 'Wonder Balsam' (ordered at that same time as the DMs) arrived.
Once the balsam arrived I spread it over the whole boot to let allow it to be absorbed. I then left it 24 hours and repeated the procedure. That done I started to wear the boots. They were not so tight and even looked better. There was, and still is, a problem getting the boots on and off but I expect that problem to disappear in time.
Would I recommend this product? Yes, but only on the basis that at first use it does exactly what it claims to do. Expensive yes, so use it sparingly and it will turn out to be value for money.
I was surprised to discover that the balsam is made in Spain.
on 16 October 2013
Have used this stuff many times, and it is great in helping look after my Docs...will happily buy this again when my current stash runs out!