Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 December 2013
I bought the soundtrack almost immediately after watching the movie at the cinema. Despite several negative reviews on the film, I actually enjoyed it - but the score does not match up to it, in my view.

There are some emotive and moving parts, no doubt. But those moments are fleeting and few - so many of the 22 tracks are under 3 minutes long (in fact, some are only just over 1 minute) and this makes it difficult to digest and pick out your favourite tracks. It feels at times like a collection of sound bites, rather than an album of songs.

I listened to it twice just trying to wrap my head around it, but unfortunately, now that it is in my collection, even my favourite tracks on the album do not compel me to choose this score over another when travelling, training, or relaxing. There just isn't enough genuine quality on it.

It's a score that, for me, didn't really need to be released in this form. As harsh as that sounds, it just doesn't stand well on it's own, unlike Hans Zimmer's Dark Knight Rises, The Last Samurai, or Steve Jablonsky's Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
on 22 December 2013
[...] It's not an easy listen; and the absence of any obvious thematic material will likely be off-putting for all but the most-hardened fans of Beltrami. As you would expect from the composer, the complexity and ingenuity of the writing are commendable. In fairness, this could easily have turned out sounding like any other Hollywood blockbuster, so it is quite refreshing to see a `super hero' movie that doesn't rely on power-anthems or chanting choirs; and instead dares to embrace a more challenging scoring technique; even if it is still chock-full of percussion. Having said that - the album is harsh! It's bordering on (and sometimes crossing into) horror music. It sounds angry a lot of the time, which may well suit the character. The technique may be impressive but, a few exciting cues notwithstanding, the album on the whole is tiring and and too unnerving to warrant many repeated listens.[...]

Read the full review at [...]