4.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful and insightful read.
Published on 15 April 2013 by Rosalind

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting , if a little self indulgent
The author seems to be looking back on a painful event in her life in a way that makes her feel better about herself.
Published on 23 Jun. 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful and insightful read., 15 April 2013
This review is from: Obsessive Love: How to Free Your Emotions & Live Again (Kindle Edition)
Liz Hodgkinson's experience of being love-sick and heartbroken has helped me overcome my own experiences. Although I do not consider my "crush" to be obsessive it is certainly unrequited and trying to move on has been difficult. This book was very helpful as it showed me that I am not the only one to have felt such strong emotions and had difficulty over-coming them. I have seen now how, if not sorted, this love will affect my life so I am following Liz Hodgkinson's advice and trying the Alexander technique. I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who has experienced an obsessive crush, it is an insightful read that has given me a real confidence boost to try and take back my life and find someone who loves me in return. Thank you Liz Hodgkinson.

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing view of heartbreak., 15 April 2013
It was refreshing to read a book that did not try to conform to the social norms of stereotypical love. We grow up in a society where we are all searching for "the one" and when we find them they will immediately love us back. However, the reality is very different, the majority of people as teenagers will experience unrequited love, and although it is unlikely that it becomes as obsessive as it has in Liz Hodgkinson's case, it does need to be addressed. The use of case studies combined with Hodgkinson's own life experiences explores the overwhelming experience of love in an emphatic way. The second half discusses different types of therapy and although I do not agree with all the therapies, the past life theory is to far fetch for me, I can imagine it is very comforting for others. For anyone who has experienced love this book is a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Insight, 11 April 2013
What I liked about this book is the author's frank approach to exploring various types of love. By being so honest about her own experiences, the reader can really put themselves in her shoes. I bought this book after reading about the author's experiences in a major newspaper article. The book really is about her story as an anecdote to what 'obsessive love' can feel like. Many people I think have experienced this type of love or been at the receiving end. This is a book about emotions, circumstances and learning to deal with unrequited love from either side of the equation. I don't think you have to have experienced love in the way the author has, but it's certainly a book that affirms choosing the type of love that works best for the individual.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting , if a little self indulgent, 23 Jun. 2002
By A Customer
This is all well and good, and maybe not all stalkers and obsessive lovers are hideous certifiable nutcases who rake through other people's dustbins. But to say that they are such fabulous shining examples of humanity is a generalisation that is unhelpful at best, and dangerous at worst.
However, the case studies are interesting and well researched. And using her own story to pull the book together works very well, as well as providing hope for people like myself, who felt that there couldn't be life after obsessive love.

2.0 out of 5 stars More of an autobiography, 16 Jan. 2011
M. Wood - See all my reviews
This author writes at some length about her own experience as a teenager suffering from what she calls obsessive love, when much of the time she is actually talking about unrequited love. When you are in love it is quite normal to think about that person all the time and to think that there is something very special about them. What is obsessive in that behaviour? Much of the love that she describes would be perfectly normal and necessary to create the bond between two people. She seems to be a little confused over her definitions. It is only when that love is not reciprocated that it leads to problems. Is this book about obsessive love or unrequited love? It doesn't seem to clearly be about one or the other. You may find one or two interesting points but don't expect any answers. Expect opinion presented as answers and read it as such, whatever you do don't read it as a definitive account.

There are some brief examples of other people, including famous people such as Charlotte Bronte and someone called Elizabeth Smart (who??). The evidence she marshals for her argument, for that is all this book is, and not a particularly good and well rounded one at that, is taken from letters and biographies of these people. Not exactly up to date and pertinent to today's world. Where is the research, the attempt to listen to and understand the experiences of others?

Her writing and thinking seems pretty dated, she refers on many occasions to men who are "rakes" or "cads" or "rotters" - who talks like that?? This book was written in 1991, not 1891!

She makes some pretty large claims with no research to back it up, for example in one section the book claims that all prostitutes have a background of abuse as children, without exception. How can anyone ever make a claim like that, she would have to have interviewed every single prostitute in the world. I can understand that it is a feature of many people who go on to become prostitutes, but without exception?? That's clearly a nonsense thing to say. It's silly statement like that that seriously undermine whatever else she has to say.

In part two of the book -Recovery - she talks in some detail of her unorthodox experience of therapy, and helpfully gives the name and address of the B&B in Scotland that offers it, should you want to go there too. She dismisses using antidepressants out of hand, saying that they don't help someone address the underlying problem - obviously a personal view of hers but not a balanced view.

Other self help suggestions are The Alexander Technique (and surprise surprise she has helpfully written a book on the subject should you wish to read further about it), Rolfing (?), Circle Dancing (?!) and regression and past life therapy. Very limited suggestions and not really very useful! Among the resources section at the back she has given the names and addresses of some organisations that may be able to offer some form of therapy, which is all well and good, but then goes on to include the names and addresses of one or two individual therapists, including one massage therapist in London. What possible use can these be and what of the thousands of other therapists in the world? To say this book is a limited and biased account is an understatement.
If you can borrow this book for nothing, fair enough but I don't recommend buying it, save your money for one of the others on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsessive Love, 6 Jun. 2013
Good book. Useful for anyone who's had this problem/is currently having it. Never been QUITE as obsessed as the writer, but I think I could be if my most major crush slept with me...guess it's probably just as well he wouldn't (is happily married anyway, so can't take it too personally, I guess). Interesting stories of real obsessive loves...could make the reader feel better about their own unrequited crushes. At least it reminds the reader they're not the only one to make a prat of themself over someone not remotely interested in them I guess.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad that people suffer so much in love, 27 April 2013
This book is quite hard to take in parts, and quite shocking but Hodgkinson is not afraid to hold back! It is sad that love is so painful for a lot of people and takes such a long time to get over when it is unrequited.

4.0 out of 5 stars Untimely death, 21 Sept. 2012
I was strongly encouraged by a friend to read this in 1996 as the book's subject was a crushing influence on my life.

The only part that struck me as bizarre then is the only part I have taken with me: that just perhaps the person who has experienced obsessive love had a shocking, untimely death in their past life and carries that full-force, unresolved love for the other into the next life. The other had time for their love to fade. But the two souls meet again.

Natasha Holme
Author of 'Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder'