4.0 out of 5 stars iodine: the most misunderstood nutrient
[ later notes:

- The latest edition of Brown's iodine book is available as an ebook from drbrownstein[dot]directfrompublisher[dot]com

- there is an excellent iodine internet group with important information on the use of iodine
health.groups.yahoo[dot]com/group/iodine/ ]

David Brownstein, author of books on iodine, on the thyroid, on...
Published 19 months ago by D&D

1.0 out of 5 stars Very upset
I am very annoyed that I spent good money on this book.
Ms Farrow tries hard to make a case for correlation between the lack of iodine in foods/drinks today and the rise of some diseases. She includes some single case studies to back her theory.
I wanted to know what to do to increase my intake of iodine but had to wade through a lot of empirical data and her...
Published 23 days ago by WELLINFORMED

4.0 out of 5 stars iodine: the most misunderstood nutrient, 20 April 2013
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life (Kindle Edition)
[ later notes:

health.groups.yahoo[dot]com/group/iodine/ ]

David Brownstein, author of books on iodine, on the thyroid, on hormones, arthritis, the benefits of salt, and much more (I have several), supplied the foreword to this book, so I took it for granted it was informative and useful, which it is. The author, a journalist, after a number of years of fatigue and many other health issues, had breast cancer. She was not satisfied with the doctors' treatment plans as they seemed unable to explain why their recommendations were the best option for her (they gave answers such as: radiation therapy must increase survival because we do it at our hospital!). She researched in deadly earnest (well, her life was at stake, after all) and came across the link to iodine deficiency, although there has been a virtual moratorium on iodine research for the last half-century.

Unfortunately, most doctors have no knowledge about iodine therapy, believing it to be dangerous. (Iodine started to be condemned in 1948 (bet they were bigpharma patsies) although that research was contradicted by all previous research, with evidence that iodine has been used in some form or other for at least 15,000 years.) In the 1970s iodine in bread was replaced by bromide/bromine, an environmental hazard which displaces iodine in the body. Based on 2 unverified papers, doctors have been told for generations that iodine shuts down the thyroid gland. (But there's nothing to see folks, there's no conspiracy here, move along.) Yet life itself is not possible without adequate iodine levels, which Brownstein says have declined over 50 per cent in the last 40 years - and iodized salt is almost useless.

For the author, iodine (NOT as tincture of iodine, but as lugol's) brought many positive health benefits. Others reported temporary side effects (building up the dose slowly helps reduce these) but there was also an avalanche of success stories and the reversal of profound medical complaints. There are many wonderful case stories in this book about people suffering from fatigue, psoriasis, headaches, brain fog, impotence, breast pain and even cancers for whom iodine improved health.

There are several useful chapters arranged in the form of FAQs: Why does your body need iodine? What are the possible side effects? How to avoid side effects? (most helpful is the salt loading protocol - which captures released bromide - combined with a two day stop from iodine to flush it from the body, before re-starting). One extremely useful point is that, if you believe you are allergic to iodine, you need an experienced practitioner to investigate, since there is iodine in every cell of your body, it is an universal nutrient.

[However, a reader who is allergic to iodine has commented on another review: I'm allergic to iodine and learned from Dr. David Derry, author of "Breast Cancer & Iodine" and also an expert on iodine, that the allergy is not to iodine itself, because we cannot be allergic to iodine, it is in every cell in our body. The allergy is to iodine that is bound to a protein in any form. I can't take any form of iodine bound to a protein and cannot even have it put on my skin, as in iodine antiseptics used for surgery. It actually burns my skin. However, I can put Lugol's on my skin and take it internally. To test, put a drop on your skin. If you don't have a reaction, put a drop in a glass of water and drink it over a day. If no reaction, do 2 drops in water, and so on.]

The underlying root cause is often thyroid disorder, usually low thyroid, which has many causes, just one of which is iodine deficiency - it is often genetic. I was a little concerned that - like all these one-nutrient-panacea books - this book implied that iodine supplementation would help everyone with health problems (and thus everyone low thyroid) - that's not my experience, and it's cruel to those who jump on the bandwagon but find little benefit. Brownstein states that only a third of his thyroid patients were able to reduce their thyroid supplements - although everyone benefited from taking iodine (also as lugol's).

One of my top books is "Hypothyroidism Type 2" by Starr ("Type 22 meaning thyroid problems for which there are no lab tests), which shows how much of poor health and all chronic pain is linked to low thyroid, including those involved with diabetes, heart problems, both bleeding (like gums, periods) & blood clots (including strokes) and some cancers. There are no lab tests for many causes of low thyroid yet doctors only treat lab tests, not you.

The stopthethyroidmadness website has huge amounts of practical information and advice too.

In his book on "Sodium Bicarbonate", Sircus repeatedly explains that fungus (which can only take hold in acid bodies) is involved in many illnesses (including cancers) and that the triumvirate of health recovery is sodium bicarbonate (the humble baking soda), magnesium chloride and iodine (again as lugol's) - all are cheap to buy. He has a whole chapter on the usefulness of almost always using sodium bicarbonate with magnesium chloride for greatest effect, with no side effects when used with prudence. Add iodine and "one has the formula for infectious disease control in the 21st century, the age of toxicity and antibiotic-resistant infections."

If you like easy-to-read books with lots of personal stories, this is a great introduction to iodine supplementation. Even if (like me) you don't, the chapters on side effects and what you can do about them, are valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last ..., 18 Jun 2014
Because iodine is good for you, you cannot patent it, and it has been used to treat a wide variety of ailments for millennia, it is never going to make money for a big pharmaceutical company.

Strangely, during the 1950s, 60s and 70s, it became 'poisonous' !! I wonder why ?

Even today you will find medics telling you that it is a sort of freak thing to take it, and anyway it is more than your life is worth to take more than 5mg.

Lynne Farrow, and a massive team expose the hoax, and tell endless case histories of people who have used iodine (not 'tincture of iodine') to cure a wide range of illness. Doses often exceed 100mg

5.0 out of 5 stars really good book, 26 Mar 2014
I have found this book very helpful and have been taking Lugol's iodine now for 3 weeks and notice a difference with my Fibromyalgia, so pleased that I found this. I also have issues with fibroids, so hoping it might help with this also. It seems to be well researched and I love the fact that it has the references in it, so you can look up studies. Definitely a book worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely interesting, 3 May 2014
I had actually started taking iodine before coming across this book having just read cellular awakening. I have found it to have made an enormous difference. My sister has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and after reading this book she is now on iodine and foregoing conventional treatment for now. i would highly recommend reading this book - and coming to your own conclusions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book, tells you the real truth about food in our stores, 30 Jan 2014
This book has re-adjusted my diet and what I buy, it is worrying how iodine deprived we all are, and what we can do to address it, and cure/prevent a wide range of illnesses.

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener to us all, 15 April 2014
Iodine/iodide supplementing has helped with my goitre, lumpy breasts and my weight has stabilised (I'm not underweight hyperthyroid anylonger), heart skips, palpitations and erratic/high blood pressure issues have been resolved - Iodine supplementing has also been an essential part in my process of recovering from chronic lyme disease and its co-infection bartonella henselae. If you want to understand why breast, thyroid, ovarian and prostate cancers have dramatically increased and why most of us are very deficient in iodine, read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Iodine protocol Looking Hopeful for Fibromyalgia, 1 Oct 2014
After suffering from Hypothyroid and Fibromyalgia for over 20 years. I was sick of the Pain, depression and fatigue that comes with both. After being on Levothyroxine for over 10 years, I am still suffering Hypothyroid symptoms, the last straw is although my eyebrows are partially missing, and I have several other symptoms, as long as Lab tests show normal on T4. I am unable to go any further within the NHS.They only look at blood results. Since my thryoid gland is fine ( I am hypothyroid as my brain doesn't tell my thyroid to work.) I was looking for another way.
After lots of research and feeling that there is another way. I stumbled across Dr Brownsteins protocol. This book gives full details of this protocol and has lots of patient stories and is easy to read.
Since starting Iodine my Fibromyalgia pain has improved significantly. I have not experienced the Iodine "boing" feeling yet, but its early days and I have been ill for a long time.
After years of being on prescription drugs, I decided that Iodine is worth a try, and its only been a couple of weeks and I am feeling better.
Do your own research and trust yourself. Some people will be afraid of going against what the Dr says, but me, I am willing to give Iodine a chance, and so far it is looking very hopeful. Just being able to write this review is a start, as the brain fog is lifting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow so much information!, 23 April 2014
I was recommended to read this book and I am so gald that i did. It is very well written and makes so much sense to me. if your interested in your or your family's health its a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 16 May 2014
Mr. C. T. Cooke (Tamworth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Arrived very quickly. A mine of useful information. very useful for those needing Iodine supplements (is there anybody who doesn't??)

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative Read, 3 July 2014
Very informative - well researched. Although not as reliable as a proper test - I did the iodine patch test and my test spot faded to nothing within four hours so seems I may be deficient in iodine. Had no idea it was such an important element to have in the diet. Good case studies as well.