5.0 out of 5 stars Review
Does the job, what can you say. Works out of the box. On my PC the devices do not appear in the Develo Cockpit software. Develo and I cannot seem to resolve this issue. No big deal as they work just fine.
Published 16 months ago by MikeP

3.0 out of 5 stars Crippled to 10/100 Speeds !!!
Whereas I am happy to state that this Powerline Adaptor easily distributes network and internet access around my home with a minimum of fuss, I am both shocked and annoyed to find out that the adaptor is crippled by an ethernet adaptor which is only 10/100mbps.

Published 13 months ago by J. Wolfe

3.0 out of 5 stars Crippled to 10/100 Speeds !!!, 23 Jun. 2014
J. Wolfe (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)

To explain, the DLAN 500 Powerline system creates a network within your electricity supply which is *theoretically capable* of transmitting data at 500mbps, but since the ethernet adaptor is only 10/100mbps, the maximum speed which the device will ever transmit data is only 100mbps. This is a bottleneck which can never be overcome.

The main reason I bought these devices was to backup to a NAS (network) drive. When the NAS is connected directly to my computer (gigabit connection), I easily reached transfer speeds of 36MB/sec. When connecting the NAS via the DLAN500 Powerline, I struggled to get 6MB/sec. That's about 1/6th of the speed.

6MB/sec is fine for downloading from the internet or streaming video to any of your devices around the home, but it is completely inadequate for backing up to a NAS!! A 1TB backup would take more than 2 days at this speed, rather than just 7 hours at the faster speed.

Why did Devolo create a device which was so crippled from the offset?

I now see that there are DLAN 650 devices starting to come out which have true gigabit connections, so these should correct the deficiencies of these DLAN 500 devices. It looks like I will have to spend more £££ to upgrade my network, but I should never have had to do this !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Beware of the Amazon page for this item, the photo with the adapter in front of the box photo, along with the description "duo" implies that you get two adapters. You don't!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing kit, should have bought sooner!, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Well, I originally purchases the dLan 500 WIFI starter kit on offer at a retailer, but realised I actually needed more adapters, so ordered these from Amazon. They were so simple to set up.

IMPORTANT: Make a note of the security ID on each device (NB these are ALL letters no numbers) i.e. ABCD-EFGH-IJKL-MNOP otherwise you will have to unplug (like me) to get the codes for the supplied software!

1) Connect the first Duo adapter (acts as a master) to the router/PC via supplied Network cable
2) Plug new adapter in power outlet, wait until the LED stops flashing
3) For the remaining 500 duo adapters, (which also come with a good quality cable!), simply plug in, press the little button on underside of unit, wait for LED to stop flashing
4) Connect cable from one of the TWO supplied ports to the equipment, and done
5) I also purchased the wireless adapter which has WIFI and a port, this was almost as easy....
6) Simply plugin the WIFI adapter, wait for the WIFI indicator to stop flashing, press the home button, then press the WPS button on the router...wait until all the lights stop flashing, then unplug and put it where you need to get WIFI - they also CLONE the router so it looks like you have a great WIFI signal everywhere...

The software I download from www.devolo.com and click support, download the Cockpit software, this then requires the security keys to detect and allow admin of the devices. It will find them anyway, but the security lets you maintain them. You can also update the firmware for all the devices remotely using this software, and it's all automated :-)

Overall, simple experience, easy to configure, and I get approx 250Mbits per connection which is half advertised speed, but thats over the whole house!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does just what it says on the box, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Fast easy setup just plug it in push button done, you do require a starter kit as well, please note this is just an add on.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but Ethernet 10/100 (mbps), 31 Oct. 2013
S. Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
After the first adapter made a loud squealing noise, a replacement was issued by Amazon that appears to be quiet, as usual, excellent service. However, the transmission capabilities of this device are;

Ethernet 10/100 (mbps)
Powerline 200/500 (mbps)

My dLAN 500 AVmini adapters are 1.0 Gbps, something to bear in mind if a 1Gbps network is desirable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 26 April 2014
Analytica (Newport, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
I already had the dLAN200 AVeasy, and wanted an extra adapter to extend the network signal upstairs as the WiFi was only connecting to a laptop intermittently. By pressing the small button by the LAN socket on the adapter connected to the router, then running upstairs and pressing the similar one on the new adapter (in less than 2 minutes) the laptop was connected.

5.0 out of 5 stars No fuss, plug and play, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Ive got a few of these, over my 3 storey house, they work like a dream. Plug it in, off it goes...I only seem to get 250mbps, but better than a dodgy wi-fi signal and no wires to worry about.

And a really low price..

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Excellent product. Just does what it says on the box. Thoroughly recommend for anyone who has problems with wifi reception.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great connection but squeals like a piggy!, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
I have no complaints bar one. These adapters set up and communicate with each other without the fuss of others. However, I have four of these now and while the connection is fantastic, the high pitched squeal from all of them in an otherwise quiet room is a serious nuisance.

Update to my earlier comment from April: I have now had 4 units of the Devolo dLAN 500 for the good part of a year and have been able to ascertain most of the pros and cons:

Pros: Well constructed, very easy set-up, very solid and stable connection between units, all 4 units remain failure-free, twin ethernet ports is very handy for me, monitoring software (Devolo 'Cockpit') has a nice, simple interface with easy firmware upgrade and is available for Windows and Mac OS (unlike some other competitors).

Cons: Only three really....
All my units emit a high pitch capacitor -like squeal; it is certainly not loud but as I sit in a quiet room where my computer is located, it is noticeable and irritating. Imagine a much higher-pitched and much quieter equivalent of the old 'hee haw' dial-up modem noise. This complaint seems to appear in other reviews in this thread and of other products in the dLan 500 range with some saying they hear no noise, others saying some units do and others don't and others saying all their units are noisy. All 4 of mine are noisy! It is not a big deal other than in quiet rooms but still worthy of a mention here.

Secondly, the ethernet is 10/100 and not gigabit as others have noted. I was aware of this when I purchased and it was never an issue as it was plenty fast enough. It still is although I now have a NAS drive on my network and it would be nice to have.

Thirdly, and this is the biggest issue for me, is the ability to 'wake up' when attached to some devices. Three of my 4 adapters are attached to 'always on' devices (even if in power-saving mode) - a router, a CCTV digital video recorder and a NAS drive; the fourth is attached to a Humax Freesat box with On Demand / Catch up TV capability although this would be powered off to standby when not in use. Even after the Freesat box has been on for some length of time, when accessing e.g. BBC iPlayer from it's menu it can take three or four attempts to 'wake up' the dLan 500 and often involves going behind the TV and stretching over to the power socket to switch off and reboot the unit. Again, I am not sure how common this is but I have noticed other reviews in the dLan 500 range describing similar. Interestingly, even when this adapter is in sleep mode, it makes the same squeal described above.

In conclusion, there is no doubt that this is a great product in many respects. However, it is not the cheapest on the market and even if the niggles are not showstoppers, they should be kept in mind.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was I asking too much?, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
I have tried to use Devolo mains units from the 85 onwards. The dLAN 500 Duo and associated units are the final effort. It is possible that my 23 year old house is just too rambling for the technology. There are also suspicions that the electricity supplier is carrying data traffic round the district to do with its management. The achieved speed range is a worry- the same adapter going from 11-230 and big disparities between individual units... The use of RDP inside the property ranges from 'great' to 'repeated drop-outs' so is no good at all. I put a minifan by the Duo in case temperature was a factor, but no joy. In the end I put Cat 5 cabling to 3 ceiling positions, using a power over Ethernet switch and the UniFi access points.. If your experience is the same as mine I commend the Unifi units for serious consideration. You do not need to find the shortest runs for the Cat5 cables, just the most convenient as the POE enables cable runs up to 100 metres.and the relief is just unimaginable. At the moment the UniFi units are blasting the signal through the aluminium backed plasterboard but can be fitted under the ceiling if needed, looking like a neat smoke detector.

Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter