5.0 out of 5 stars Review
Does the job, what can you say. Works out of the box. On my PC the devices do not appear in the Develo Cockpit software. Develo and I cannot seem to resolve this issue. No big deal as they work just fine.
Published 12 months ago by MikeP

3.0 out of 5 stars Crippled to 10/100 Speeds !!!
Whereas I am happy to state that this Powerline Adaptor easily distributes network and internet access around my home with a minimum of fuss, I am both shocked and annoyed to find out that the adaptor is crippled by an ethernet adaptor which is only 10/100mbps.

Published 9 months ago by J. Wolfe

3.0 out of 5 stars Crippled to 10/100 Speeds !!!, 23 Jun. 2014
J. Wolfe (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)

To explain, the DLAN 500 Powerline system creates a network within your electricity supply which is *theoretically capable* of transmitting data at 500mbps, but since the ethernet adaptor is only 10/100mbps, the maximum speed which the device will ever transmit data is only 100mbps. This is a bottleneck which can never be overcome.

The main reason I bought these devices was to backup to a NAS (network) drive. When the NAS is connected directly to my computer (gigabit connection), I easily reached transfer speeds of 36MB/sec. When connecting the NAS via the DLAN500 Powerline, I struggled to get 6MB/sec. That's about 1/6th of the speed.

6MB/sec is fine for downloading from the internet or streaming video to any of your devices around the home, but it is completely inadequate for backing up to a NAS!! A 1TB backup would take more than 2 days at this speed, rather than just 7 hours at the faster speed.

Why did Devolo create a device which was so crippled from the offset?

I now see that there are DLAN 650 devices starting to come out which have true gigabit connections, so these should correct the deficiencies of these DLAN 500 devices. It looks like I will have to spend more £££ to upgrade my network, but I should never have had to do this !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Beware of the Amazon page for this item, the photo with the adapter in front of the box photo, along with the description "duo" implies that you get two adapters. You don't!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing kit, should have bought sooner!, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Well, I originally purchases the dLan 500 WIFI starter kit on offer at a retailer, but realised I actually needed more adapters, so ordered these from Amazon. They were so simple to set up.

IMPORTANT: Make a note of the security ID on each device (NB these are ALL letters no numbers) i.e. ABCD-EFGH-IJKL-MNOP otherwise you will have to unplug (like me) to get the codes for the supplied software!

1) Connect the first Duo adapter (acts as a master) to the router/PC via supplied Network cable
2) Plug new adapter in power outlet, wait until the LED stops flashing
3) For the remaining 500 duo adapters, (which also come with a good quality cable!), simply plug in, press the little button on underside of unit, wait for LED to stop flashing
4) Connect cable from one of the TWO supplied ports to the equipment, and done
5) I also purchased the wireless adapter which has WIFI and a port, this was almost as easy....
6) Simply plugin the WIFI adapter, wait for the WIFI indicator to stop flashing, press the home button, then press the WPS button on the router...wait until all the lights stop flashing, then unplug and put it where you need to get WIFI - they also CLONE the router so it looks like you have a great WIFI signal everywhere...

The software I download from www.devolo.com and click support, download the Cockpit software, this then requires the security keys to detect and allow admin of the devices. It will find them anyway, but the security lets you maintain them. You can also update the firmware for all the devices remotely using this software, and it's all automated :-)

Overall, simple experience, easy to configure, and I get approx 250Mbits per connection which is half advertised speed, but thats over the whole house!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does just what it says on the box, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Fast easy setup just plug it in push button done, you do require a starter kit as well, please note this is just an add on.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but Ethernet 10/100 (mbps), 31 Oct. 2013
S. Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
After the first adapter made a loud squealing noise, a replacement was issued by Amazon that appears to be quiet, as usual, excellent service. However, the transmission capabilities of this device are;

Ethernet 10/100 (mbps)
Powerline 200/500 (mbps)

My dLAN 500 AVmini adapters are 1.0 Gbps, something to bear in mind if a 1Gbps network is desirable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 26 April 2014
Analytica (Newport, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
I already had the dLAN200 AVeasy, and wanted an extra adapter to extend the network signal upstairs as the WiFi was only connecting to a laptop intermittently. By pressing the small button by the LAN socket on the adapter connected to the router, then running upstairs and pressing the similar one on the new adapter (in less than 2 minutes) the laptop was connected.

5.0 out of 5 stars No fuss, plug and play, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Ive got a few of these, over my 3 storey house, they work like a dream. Plug it in, off it goes...I only seem to get 250mbps, but better than a dodgy wi-fi signal and no wires to worry about.

And a really low price..

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
Excellent product. Just does what it says on the box. Thoroughly recommend for anyone who has problems with wifi reception.

5.0 out of 5 stars and after mixed results with wireless boosters (I tried the [then free] sky booster which boosted the signal but performed poorl, 26 Oct. 2014
tjt1961 (sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
After years of having problems with wireless network signal strength throughout my house, and after mixed results with wireless boosters (I tried the [then free] sky booster which boosted the signal but performed poorly and I bought a NetGear extender which worked better but packed up after a year or so), I finally tried these on a friends recommendation.

I now have three dLAN 500s and one dLAN wireless 500 which is at the top of the house in an attic bedroom (my router is on the ground floor). I have as many devices as I can now using wired connections. Using a network speed test (http://www.speedtest.net/) I can get 80-90% of my broadband connection speed at every adapter which is great, over wireless I was getting a fraction of that.

The dLAN wireless 500 provides a completely separate wireless network so works better than a booster or repeater.

My only issue has been with connections dropping occasionally to the internet so I contacted Devolo support who recomended a firmware update which fixed it. I was never sure if this was actually a Devolo issue or a short term problem with my Sky broadband but it is fixed now either way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the instructions given and use these!!!! But work well once up and running, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter (Accessory)
4 stars not 5 - the instructions are AWFUL!!!! ignore the instructions as they will not work if you follow it!! Not quite plug in play - or rather they are once you know the order to do things!

I found a very helpful review that detailed what he did which worked - save yourself hours of frustration!

1) Connect the first Duo adapter (acts as a master) to the router via supplied Network cable
2) Plug same adapter in power outlet, wait until the LED stops flashing
then
3) For the remaining 500 duo adapters, simply plug in, press the little button on underside of unit, wait for LED to stop flashing (DO NOT HAVE THESE CONNECTED TO PC/TV ETC YET!)
4) Now connect cable to the PC/TV, and done

I have been using a maxvalue version of these for years but sadly last update were so flaky I had to look elsewhere. Anyway I was pointed to these and decided to give them a try - firstly only been using for 1 day!! but so far so good

Devolo dLAN 500 Duo Adapter