on 5 December 2015
I bought this to extend my Virgin Media Super Hub.

From various reviews, I thought it would take about 15 minutes! Actually it has taken all morning.

Even though I did manage to use WPS (Wifi Protected Setup) to extend the Virgin wifi security credentials to the dLan wifi, I found that reception was better if I didn't.

To use WPS, you press the wee house on one of the dLan wifi adapters, and then within two minutes, the big button on the Super Hub for two seconds (you can do this remotely with the WLAN config which you get at via the Cockpit software). After a minute or so the adapter disappears from the list of wifi networks and it starts to work as an extension with the same SSID and password as the Virgin Super Hub. So it does work. It seems as though you have to repeat the WPS process if you unplug it though, which surprised me. And the signal strength on my iPhone even when standing near the adapter was never more than 'two out of three'.

What I found is that with just the two dLan adapters, the signal is better than with the two adapters plus the Super Hub.

I feel I have wasted a Saturday morning exploring all of this. So not really a happy customer of Devolo.
on 24 June 2013
I already have a dLAN 200 network with 3 devices plugged in which works well. I decided to extend my network by adding a wifi dLAN 500. I plugged it in and although the green wifi light came on, I could detect no wifi signal. I installed the Cockpit app and could see and configure the device settings from there - just no wifi. I emailed Devolo support who said the device must be faulty and to send it back.

Amazon swiftly sent me a replacement but the same problem happened. I could see the adapter in the Cockpit app but no wifi signal was produced.

This time I phoned Devolo support who said that they had had this problem before, and the customer had then tried the dLAN 500 at a friend's house where the wifi signal was immediately available. They advised me to try my adapter out at a friends house to see if I could get wifi by plugging it into somebody else's network but not my own.

I did so (with the friend who had first recommended devolo adapters to me) and the adapter worked perfectly and immediately. Devolo support told me to send the device back as they had no solution to this problem although they were aware of it.

Some wifi adapters just won't send out a signal in some households but they do not know why.

Devolo support suggested that I could try the stronger (and more expensive) dLAN 500 wireless, but after having had to return two dLAN adapters, I decided not to bother.

I have given 3 stars because support for my problem was swift and helpful, but they couldn't resolve the problem. It is a shame because my other devolo adapters are brilliant.
1414 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2013
If this works as well and easily for you as it it did/does for me you'll be very happy with your purchase.
on 22 May 2014
we found it very easy to set up. It also worked first time. We use the direct lead into the TV and the wireless extends coverage to the end of the house where the signal was very weak. Good product. Does what is says.
on 12 April 2016
I’ve been using this extender for a couple of weeks now and I’ve had no problems at all with my Wi-Fi connection. Without it, my router isn’t capable of providing a connection throughout my house (and I don’t have a particularly big house!), but now I’m getting a signal in every room.

The set-up was explained clearly with diagrams in the booklet that came in the box and the hardest part of the process was typing in the password on every device in the house! All you have to do is plug in the main box near your router and connect it with an ethernet cable (provided in the box), and then plug the extender into another socket somewhere in your house.
So far I haven’t had any issues with the product, although I am in the process of upgrading my broadband to fibre optic, so I will post an update here if there are any issues, but I believe that it will function with the new broadband just as well as it does now.
on 27 August 2015
This set up has solved our wifi needs. We have a large rambling "Tudor" pile with rooms on 3 storeys and a "Barn" guest outbuilding, and outside workshop to serve. The previous standard wireless set up was very problematic - slow and always failing with periodic weak signals.
Despite the fact that I read beforehand that this may not suit properties such as ours with multiple fuse boxes and trips, I have simply pugged in the "home" and remote adapters in several parts of the house and both outbuildings, and finally we have a robust and reliable wifi signal everywhere we need it. Only drawback is that the set up with 5 extender adapters is about £200. But it is the only solution that meets our needs.
on 9 May 2015
The set up was very straight forward and instructions in the booklet could not be clearer. The network was clearly shown on my iPad and it asked for a password to connect. The password being that shown as the wi fi key on the back of the first adaptor which you are asked to note before plugging in the unit. However the password was not recognised. After many e-mails to Devolo, apart from not reading my e-mails with some thought, I was getting nowhere and will be returning the product. I do intend to change it for he same product as I was getting a good signal around the house where before it was not possible. All for the sake of a password.Did change the password in "Cockpit" software but to no avail.
on 14 June 2013
These are good products and really helpful for extending a wireless network, I have used Devolo before and they work well. BUT the telephone helpline is pretty much useless and the documentation it comes with is just not good enough. You need to access the full user guide on the disc rather than following the paper installation guide.

Every time I buy Devolo products the installation is tricky - I call the helpline (international rates) and they end up telling me to send it back because it must be faulty. They contradict what is in the manual and seem to have a very superficial & superior view. I persevere doing simple things like re-installing the software and end up sorting it out myself so my network is now working well but no thanks to the expensive and unhelpful helpline.
on 23 December 2014
Amazing works perfectly, just what i needed as my WiFi had a bad signal in my bedroom . quick and easy to set up.
i would ONLY get this type of product that sends the WiFi through the power lines. WiFi extenders didn't work for me but this product is the best
on 14 March 2014
Prior to getting these I had the older Devolo (blue) model which was only 85 mb which were coping with the job but these new ones are 500 mb and are noticeable faster. Although, I was told my old blue ones would work with the white new ones, which is incorrect, although you can have them both plugged into the router but they will run on 2 different networks. We have 3 TV's with catch up TV, 2 tablets, 3 Lap Tops and 2 phones, XBox, DVD, and printer and they deal with everything we need although, I did buy an additional devices as our house is spread out with a large extension on the back of a bungalow. Recommend them 100%!