Published 8 months ago by gan

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, not an easy device to fit!
This piece of equipment is very complex to instal, it comes with an 83 page instruction leaflet and is NOT written in an easy to understand manner. Am still struggling with it as I'm not really computer literate. I'm sure it'll be fine when we get it all sorted out and a computerate literate expert comes to give me some assistance. It will certainly meet all my needs, but...
Published 5 months ago by Alan Park

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wifi extender easy, networking to a hard drive bit harder, instructions pretty poor for a non-technical person., 28 July 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
Bought this to extend the wifi strongly throughout both floors of the house and also out to the garage, so having two adapters was perfect. Plugging the base unit in beside my broadband connection and connecting the broadband box to it via the network cable was very easy. I then used the install disc in my laptop to open the cockpit and add the two adapters that way, which was very straightforward. Didn't have to have the laptop hardwire connected to the base unit for this.

Finding the wifi signals of each adapter was also easy, although it wasn't immediately clear to me that the password for each unit when then connecting to it was actually written on the plug and was the same as the adapter ID number. So write down these numbers before plugging them in. Wifi then worked immediately without having to do anything else, and at good speed.

I wanted to use the second network port on the base unit to attach an external hard drive and access that on my ipad via the wifi adapters as well. This was more difficult, I am not highly technical and the instructions were pretty much useless for this bit. Did my own research and short version is that I simply needed to download a free file browsing app on the iPad, use it to connect/network to the hard drive which it did pick up through the wifi signal from the adapter, and it now works brilliantly. I've also worked out how to use the cockpit software to change the names of the adapter wifi signals to something more intuitive.

Does exactly what I wanted, can now use internet and play movie/ music/ photo files from the hard drive anywhere in house or garden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
I bought this to replace a Netgear Powerline WiFi system, which was never very good and eventually died. The reviews of the Devolo dLAN 500 WiFi said it worked well across different circuit breaker electrical circuits, which I need as our old house has three updated circuit breaker boards and two sub-mains serving a mainly non ring-main system. The set up instructions were very simple graphics and easy to follow - it took me five minutes to plug the master unit (dLAN 500 duo) into the socket, connect to my Zoom ASDL 2/2+ modem to it, and plug the slave units (dLAN 500 WiFi) into different circuit breaker circuits at each end of the house. All my devices (iPads, iPhones and Windows PCs) picked up the WiFi signal straight away, and once I entered the WiFi keys (different on each of the two slave units) into the devices, they locked onto the WiFi signal and I was immediately on line. The signal has been reliable, and the system is much faster than before, so problem solved. I have bought two more slave units as a result. The system may be on the expensive side, but is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Bit of Kit, 21 Dec 2013
Adrian Coulman (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
This was very easy to install & I soon had fast WiFi in areas of the house that my router couldn't reach. Much easier than installing a wired network and it meant that the iPad & smart phone worked anywhere in the house. Fantastic.
I was already using a Devolo dLAN for the TV & Stereo and this didn't cause any problems when installing the 500 kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not all WiFi powerline kits are equal: this one is awesome, 20 Nov 2013
A. Docherty "Doc" (Kent in England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
Have tried various wifi routers and powerline kits. I have tended to go for the cheapest, but thought I'd try this Devolo kit, which wasn't cheap. Setup was easy, though it did have some trouble finding one of the units that was obviously on a weaker circuit. I've put the 2 wifi units in opposite corners of the house and made them password-free (we live in the country and no-one is going to hijack our signal) for convenience. So far, so good. They work well and I am well pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 13 Nov 2013
Mr. Raymond Turner "rayturner4" (Ross on Wye. U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
Have only used it for Wi-Fi so far and that works well. Only disappointment is the lack of any instructions with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
Just plug it in and off you go.
Total no brainer.
Really simple to use - plug & play...
Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Network, 14 Mar 2014
M. Reynolds (Wareham. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
Prior to getting these I had the older Devolo (blue) model which was only 85 mb which were coping with the job but these new ones are 500 mb and are noticeable faster. Although, I was told my old blue ones would work with the white new ones, which is incorrect, although you can have them both plugged into the router but they will run on 2 different networks. We have 3 TV's with catch up TV, 2 tablets, 3 Lap Tops and 2 phones, XBox, DVD, and printer and they deal with everything we need although, I did buy an additional devices as our house is spread out with a large extension on the back of a bungalow. Recommend them 100%!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smiling WI FI, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
Was told about this product by a friend who wasn't IT literate . Found it , installed it and works like a charm... NO MORE downtime with the previous extenders

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
Bought this to replace my older and slower version. Worked straight out of the box, the new software interface is a joy to use.
Highly reccommend this product for anyone wanting a quick Wi-Fi network in there house.

5.0 out of 5 stars wish i bought years ago, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Network Kit (Accessory)
a must have if you have poor wifi in your house. easy to fit, and takes less than 5 mins - and i am not that great with gadgets.
plug the main one into the mains near your router and connect with the supplied Ethernet cable to the back of the router.
the other 2 ports can go into any plug in the home. you can also connect your sky box via Ethernet to these plugs.
the code for the plug in boxes are long, but you only have to enter this once on you i phone/etc and then it will remember this forever, so not a big problem.

now have wifi cover all over the house - wish i did this years ago.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›