on 9 November 2015
As a sort of public service, let me just say that you are NOT likely to enjoy this performance if any of the following is true:
- you do not think much
- you do not think well
- you are afraid of looking at the truth about the society you live in
- you are afraid of looking at the truth about yourself
On the other hand, if you consider yourself a thoughtful and clear-eyed person, you really ought to check this out.

When something offends us, or bores us, it's an indication that we don't "get" what's going on. Sometimes of course that may be just fine -- like, say, at Ascot, or a cockfight. I imagine that most people aren't going to get ol' Reg. For one thing, he's an American based in England -- this perspective allows him to hold a mirror up to the norms of British behaviour and character that is going to be acutely uncomfortable for a lot of people (his live audience give the impression they wish they could crawl under their seats at times). For another, he is WAY out there at the far end of the fearless honesty spectrum -- which, let's face it, hardly anybody really cares for. And he's both very smart and very demanding of his audience -- there are not many cheap and easy laughs here (but there are LOTS of deep and satisfying ones!).

This is the first time I've seen any of Reg's work, and I was absolutely blown away. It's a joy to follow his thought. It's a joy to hear him express it. We hear few voices anywhere in our lives that speak so well and so beautifully, so insightfully and so compassionately, with so much authenticity and kindness. And he is funny as hell -- I laughed aloud countless times, joyful laughs of surprised recognition. Truly special, truly brilliant. Don't ever stop, Reg, we need you!

(PS - Other comics I love: Carlin, Pryor, Louis CK, Chris Rock. If you like them, try Reg.)
on 16 November 2015
I watched it on Prime. I was in the mood for some stand up comedy and a few shows had, all at once, popped up for me to choose from. This one was rated lower than the first two (naming no names) that I tried to watch. Those other two I got significantly less than half way through until realising I was putting as much effort into remembering to laugh, punctually, as the performers were putting in trying to make me laugh. Reginald D Hunter's stand up is a completely different animal. Fearless is a more appropriate term, for it, than brave. It has a hell of a lot of thought provoking humanity (in many ways it is more entertainment than comedy) and is 'warm' rather than 'chummy'. Very intelligent (I don't mind feeling challenged). He's very, very good at what he does. However - if you have only ever seen him, before, as a panelist on other people's shows - be ready for a bit of a suprise because he does make use of some rather 'rude' (like down to the bone rude) material. No way is it constant, though.
on 8 August 2015
I wouldn't say this DVD is racist or sexist (as at least one other review has said) but it's definitely grown-up humour. He does use the N-word a lot, but, as he says from the outset, that's just the way he talks. There's one joke that plays on Jewish stereotypes - but I don't think it's racist per se - maybe cleverer people than me can clarify that one. He does talk about sex a lot, and he swears a lot - including the C-word - which doesn't bother me, but it might bother some.

The problem for me is that you just don't get a lot of laughs. I've got a lot of time for RDH, and I've enjoyed him when I've seen him on TV, but here I don't think he's at his best. I just didn't laugh enough.
on 7 December 2013
Saw a couple of gigs on the tour and was miffed there wasn't an encore but perhaps the old adage of 'wanting more' applies. I really enjoyed the DVD and also the live tour it was from. I'm happy to hand over the cash to support live performance, follow on DVD's when it comes to someone like Reg.

In any case, I wasn't disappointed in this DVD and look forward to the next tour/project he has to offer.
on 19 December 2013
I had already seen Reginald D Hunter's excellent one man show on stage, together with my daughter, so I wanted to buy the DVD for as many family members as I already knew loved him. This I have done for four members of my family.
on 15 February 2015
Went to see this show live in Blackpool and it was brilliant. Reginald never fails to make our cheeks ache! He is one amazingly talented gentleman. Great to watch it again on dVd. Definitely Not one for the kids though!
on 14 June 2016
Boring, ordinary,simple.Than i listen and listen opened my mind and heart further and further....Realized this man is groundbreaking,daring,highly intelligent....

Why is it that i have not seen a 1 black person in d audience ( they 've put up full lights on a few time...)!?

Total knockout at the end.
on 13 January 2016
A refreshingly good comedian, who doesn't fall into the same old routine that was brilliant when done by Richard Pryor, Ok when rehashed by Eddie Murphy & downright tedious & somewhat offensive when repeated by others who seem unable to come up with original material, this man is an original & brilliant with it!!!
on 4 March 2016
Great comedy pushing boundaries of racism and sexism. Not for the politically correct or those easily offended by 'bad' language, for everyone else high class stand up. Not his very best, but very close.
on 22 November 2013
Firstly, let me say that he understands better than anyone what an audience is thinking. He has listened to feedback and has adapted his show to be as edgy as possible while not upsetting people over trivial matters.
For example, he barely swears during his show. He knows British audience dislike swearing and avoids it. Even though he talks a lot about Racism and crude bodily functions along with sex, he does it knowing it will offend some and trusts his audience to know what they are getting by watching him. He believes in his fans and has faith that they book him knowing that this is the type of material he performs. Even so, he has listened to them and doesn't rely on sexual innuendo and bad language to get the gag. He works for it instead and deserves many brownie points for this.

As for the show, its more story based talking. Less puns and one-liners than other comedians and more like listening to a lecturer. This is fine but its not laugh every second material, more laugh every few minutes. However compared to other DVDs Ive reviewed this week where I didn't laugh at all, this is a blessing.
You wont hear the crowd laugh constantly but you will be smiling throughout the entire show. Its a different type of comedy he is going for, clever and educated and it works for him tremendously.

I loved his last show and this performance is just as clever as that. Its a good long length and his bonus features are lengthy as well. I applaud him giving us value for money.

His show is not for everyone. There are a few words that will offend, he talks about why they offend as part of his set and he's saying them on purpose. But its fair to say that this will upset a few people. So basically, don't watch it with your mum on Christmas day. This isn't that type of show.

But if you just want to sit back one night in front of the DVD player and watch a good show on your own and maybe with a few mates, you cannot go wrong with this DVD.