Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 9 November 2015
As a sort of public service, let me just say that you are NOT likely to enjoy this performance if any of the following is true:
- you do not think much
- you do not think well
- you are afraid of looking at the truth about the society you live in
- you are afraid of looking at the truth about yourself
On the other hand, if you consider yourself a thoughtful and clear-eyed person, you really ought to check this out.

When something offends us, or bores us, it's an indication that we don't "get" what's going on. Sometimes of course that may be just fine -- like, say, at Ascot, or a cockfight. I imagine that most people aren't going to get ol' Reg. For one thing, he's an American based in England -- this perspective allows him to hold a mirror up to the norms of British behaviour and character that is going to be acutely uncomfortable for a lot of people (his live audience give the impression they wish they could crawl under their seats at times). For another, he is WAY out there at the far end of the fearless honesty spectrum -- which, let's face it, hardly anybody really cares for. And he's both very smart and very demanding of his audience -- there are not many cheap and easy laughs here (but there are LOTS of deep and satisfying ones!).

This is the first time I've seen any of Reg's work, and I was absolutely blown away. It's a joy to follow his thought. It's a joy to hear him express it. We hear few voices anywhere in our lives that speak so well and so beautifully, so insightfully and so compassionately, with so much authenticity and kindness. And he is funny as hell -- I laughed aloud countless times, joyful laughs of surprised recognition. Truly special, truly brilliant. Don't ever stop, Reg, we need you!

(PS - Other comics I love: Carlin, Pryor, Louis CK, Chris Rock. If you like them, try Reg.)
on 16 November 2015
I watched it on Prime. I was in the mood for some stand up comedy and a few shows had, all at once, popped up for me to choose from. This one was rated lower than the first two (naming no names) that I tried to watch. Those other two I got significantly less than half way through until realising I was putting as much effort into remembering to laugh, punctually, as the performers were putting in trying to make me laugh. Reginald D Hunter's stand up is a completely different animal. Fearless is a more appropriate term, for it, than brave. It has a hell of a lot of thought provoking humanity (in many ways it is more entertainment than comedy) and is 'warm' rather than 'chummy'. Very intelligent (I don't mind feeling challenged). He's very, very good at what he does. However - if you have only ever seen him, before, as a panelist on other people's shows - be ready for a bit of a suprise because he does make use of some rather 'rude' (like down to the bone rude) material. No way is it constant, though.
on 5 November 2015
There are moments in this where Mr Hunter shows he is capable of being one of the great stand-ups. Even in the mediocre segments, he is certainly not run-of-the-mill (eg Jay Mohr or Jimmy Carr).

There are, however, parts that some people will find offensive. Reginald spends some time at the start explaining his approach and why he doesn't consider certain things offensive. For the most part I'd agree with him, but some may still feel offended by the N-word or 'f*ggot'. Personally, I DO regard some of the jokes as anti-Semitic regardless of what Reginald himself claims.

Overall, it's an intelligent show that challenges some of our attitudes towards ourselves and the opposite sex (among other topics). If you like 'heavy-weight' stand-ups like Carlin or Hicks then you should love this.
on 8 August 2015
I wouldn't say this DVD is racist or sexist (as at least one other review has said) but it's definitely grown-up humour. He does use the N-word a lot, but, as he says from the outset, that's just the way he talks. There's one joke that plays on Jewish stereotypes - but I don't think it's racist per se - maybe cleverer people than me can clarify that one. He does talk about sex a lot, and he swears a lot - including the C-word - which doesn't bother me, but it might bother some.

The problem for me is that you just don't get a lot of laughs. I've got a lot of time for RDH, and I've enjoyed him when I've seen him on TV, but here I don't think he's at his best. I just didn't laugh enough.
on 7 December 2013
Saw a couple of gigs on the tour and was miffed there wasn't an encore but perhaps the old adage of 'wanting more' applies. I really enjoyed the DVD and also the live tour it was from. I'm happy to hand over the cash to support live performance, follow on DVD's when it comes to someone like Reg.

In any case, I wasn't disappointed in this DVD and look forward to the next tour/project he has to offer.
on 15 January 2014
Saw RDH in my local theatre and laughed my socks off. Immediately bought this DVD as a reminder of his offbeat way of looking at the world. Three steps away from having a good night in - buy this; insert in your DVD player; press 'PLAY'!
on 19 December 2013
I had already seen Reginald D Hunter's excellent one man show on stage, together with my daughter, so I wanted to buy the DVD for as many family members as I already knew loved him. This I have done for four members of my family.
on 15 February 2015
Went to see this show live in Blackpool and it was brilliant. Reginald never fails to make our cheeks ache! He is one amazingly talented gentleman. Great to watch it again on dVd. Definitely Not one for the kids though!
on 7 October 2014
An hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable stand-up by Mr Hunter. Brilliant stuff - I only wish it was longer. A perfect gift for anyone who loves comedy (especially dark comedy).
on 7 February 2014
Reginald is a hilarious comedian who does not hesitate to poke fun at his own history. Don't watch if you are the type to be professionally offended on someone else's behalf.