on 23 May 2014
I haven't really been doing photography for long, just as a hobby really, however i've been shooting on auto mode since I started.

Speaking with photographer friends when I show them my photo's, they respond with things like "your exposure is too high", "Look at the noise!" & the worst one "WHAT? AUTO MODE?!?!?"

This book absolutely blew me away, in 45 minutes I learned SO much.

I live by a general rule, don't learn to 'do', learn to understand, because if you understand you can 'do' better.

This book helped me understand everything that's going on with my camera. I would very much recommend this to anyone struggling to get out of auto mode...

You can even start to sound like a pro when you understand the terminology!

Thanks to the author, a true inspiration and great teacher.
on 28 December 2013
This book was great

I am 12yrs old and I wanted a manual camera for my birthday, but my dad said that I didn't know how to use one, so I read this book and its taught me a lot! And for a great price too!
on 26 October 2014
After reading the first few paragraphs of this book, I felt like I was being taught by a friend. This was my very first purchase of a Kindle book and my first read of a book in years due to a problem with my sight. Once started I couldn't put my Kindle down. It was jam packed with all I needed to know - none of it in a heavy way either - as I mention it was like a friend guiding me through and it left every question answered. Having small stories and humorous anecdotes also helped make this book one of the best reads I have ever had.
As for my photography I saw a difference the next time I picked up my new DSLR. No longer afraid of all the buttons I got experimenting quickly and now I am never out of 'Manual' mode.
I cant recommend this book enough - I simply LOVE IT! :)
(I have included one of the first photos I took in Manual mode)
review image
on 26 January 2014
I have read several books on photography and have been confused by way too much information. This is perfect for the beginner. Enough information to get you finally off manual and understanding how to take better photographs and know how your camera works.
on 2 November 2015
This is an excellent quivk primer to DSLRs

I remember buying my first camera some 15 years ago along with a guide to photography, neither of which I quite understood despite some effort. When my wife bought a Nikon DSLR about 9 years ago that produces beautiful results, neither of us had a clue as to what the seemingly endless array of settings in it does. Reading on the internet explains various photography-related terms and concepts but never cohesively enough that you can go ahead and apply the fundamentals of (digital) photography immediately to your shots.

Then I read this book about an hour ago. It took me two hours to read (I am a slow reader and took ample notes along with screengrabs from the kindle edition of the book). I feel as if I know with absolutely clarity the fundamentals of exposure (aperture size, shutter speed and ISO speed/sensitivity), white balance and composition. I am also in possession of some thoroughly understood guidelines for composing my future photos. I also know how to achieve a variety of shots (motion blur, motion freeze, an object in focus with a blurry background etc), know What RAW format is and why, lazy though I am, I should try setting the picture capture format to "Large Fine" as well as JPG+RAW to allow for the possibility of post-processing in Photoshop.

Not only do I know the fundamentals of photography, I also know photographic principles as they pertain to 3D rendering which incidentally was why I needed to learn the basics of photography this time round. Overall, it is a very efficient, readable and effective introduction to the subject.

My hat's off to the author!
on 20 January 2014
Very good and consise easy to understand booklet to enable a good start to DSLR, would highly recommend to someone just picking a DSLR for the first time.
on 27 December 2013
I have had my bridge camera for a while now and although I think I have taken some good pictures before I move to a new camera I need to learn more about iso f stop and the like this book has explained in enough detail without overloading and given me more confidence to try out more manually composed shots
on 3 October 2013
just what was needed short consise practical information to get you going. Well written I would buy more from this author
on 17 January 2014
Exactly what it says, clear, easy to understand, perfect for a beginner!!! Aimed at Nikon at Canon users, but useful for everyone.
on 4 July 2015
I used to use a manual SLR and knew how to use it, but life got in the way and I used a 'point and shoot' camera to take photos as time and budget didn't allow for anything else - but I do have lots of photos of my kids growing up. Have recently got a digital SLR but found my knowledge had faded as to what all the terminology meant and also had not idea how to set anything in manual mode. This book is brilliant as it makes everything easy to understand. It has saved me battling with the instruction book too and made me much more willing to mess around with the settings. Thank you