on 21 April 2013
The fifth book in the Norothian Cycle, The Channel War is the continuing saga of a great cast of characters who I feel I know quite well now. Don't get too attached to anyone though, the author isn't above making you sit up when he polishes off a character!

This book centres on a war between various factions fighting over different bits of land and I found the maps useful (available from [...]), but I would like higher resolution versions. They're OK on my 10" tablet, but I don't always have that with my (monochrome) Kindle.

One of the really nice things about this series is that the writer can write. OK, there's an occasional typo, but the standard of grammar, punctuation, spelling etc is excellent. The dialogue flows well as does the pace of the tale.

There are dragons, wizards, demons and other monsters, but somehow they're quite believable without being silly.

I'm looking forward to the next volume now ...
on 2 July 2013
I am reading the cycle and can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the adventure. However, I always get a bit disappointed when favourite characters are killed off as I always think from the way the story is written that they have a lot more to contribute; but I wont spoil it for other readers.
on 6 January 2014
How does Ed do it ? Where does he find the descriptive words from? I just love the characters even the evil ones like balan (must be careful not to say 3 times). I just never want this tale to end.