5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful B&O ear muffs
Beautifully designed and a more individualised headphone choice than the mass produced and prolific dr dre beats alternative. Sound quality is gorgeous. Highly recommended.
Published 11 months ago by T Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced at the RRP, very good at 50% off
Good:
- design, aesthetics, build quality, presentation
- good noise isolation
- very comfortable

Bad:
- you pay a premium for the name
- quality control issue
- poor customer service
- (Designed in Denmark,) Made in China

I was looking for a replacement for my trusty 12+ years old pair of Grado SR60 and my...
Published 6 months ago by benchan

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful B&O ear muffs, 9 Jun. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and effortless, 12 Jun. 2014
The mid is the strength of the H6. Really beautiful and effortless. great clarity, great soundstage, I can hear every subtle detail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful headphones, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Headphones in Leather and Aluminium - Black (Electronics)
The sound quality of the headphones is excellent, as expected. I can definitely hear parts of the music that I could not hear before. I've seen reviews stating the bass is not great but I disagree, It mightn't be boosted but its so clear that it sounds deeper than before.

They are also unbelievably comfortable to wear, which I hadn't expected. I thought they would be the same as any headphones but I have pillows that are less comfortable against my head.

The design is lovely, very sleek. The lettering on the side is less prominent than expected which is a good thing. The bag thing they gave with it is a bit bizzare, useless really.

My only problem is that the inline controls on the headphone wire will not work for non-apple products. A bit aggravating as the advert does not specify that. You can still use your own controls on your player but having the volume thingy there is going to drive me insane as it doesn't work. Its located right beside your chin too, so there can be no simply ignoring it. I will have to discover if they have a wire without that control on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Headphones, 11 Mar. 2014
G. Limbert "G Limbert" (Pontefract, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am not an headphone geek but have tested many models in the premium price range. These headphones are excellent, in fact they are awesome delivering brilliant sound and they are unbelievably comfortable. While the idea of wireless headphones has always appealed to me and to this end I really rated the Bose AE2w but after testing them over a prolonged period the sound quality was not always perfect and the bluetooth 4.0 seemed to cause issues by spontaneously altering the volume control on my iPad Air. As a result I came to the conclusion that wired headphones offer the best sound quality, performance and listening experience. Being over-ear together with the quality/softness of the ear pieces enables them to achieve great noise isolation and comfort.

When travelling however when noise cancellation is important I still rate my wired Bose QC20i earbuds, as their ability to drown out the noise of jet engines is beyond compare and their size and portability are a real bonus as is there ability to let you hear sounds around you when you need to for example in arrival/departure halls. At home though and on holiday I have come to appreciate the performance and comfort of the H6 headphones. They deliver well balanced sound without the ear pounding base we've come to expect from many other models. These are premium quality headphones beautifully constructed and delightful in use.

The travel bag is a bit of a let down and according to B&Os own FAQs those who choose the natural leather model are warned that the bag may stain the colour of the natural leather on the headphones. As an alternative I found that the HeadphoneMate case that I got from Amazon for the Bose AE2w headphones fits the H6 perfectly and is not overly expensive. I really rate these headphones and would not hesitate in recommending them to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Noise insulating on a recent trip last row in the ..., 18 Feb. 2015
Noise insulating on a recent trip last row in the plane very impressive. Credit the overall design of the pressure of the band and pliable the ear cups.
Sound is astounding. Details of voice and notes not noticed before. EVER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence in every respect!, 9 Jan. 2015
P. W. Thomas - See all my reviews
I've owned a pair of these headphones for just under a year now, and my love for them has only grown stronger. I feel like I've spent enough time with them to be able to write an in-depth review, and feel compelled to explain a few things that some reviews miss, which may be helpful to prospective buyers. I've broken down my review into sub-sections for clarity.

SOUND QUALITY & EXPERIENCE WITH DIFFERENT DEVICES:

Apart from a requirement that a headphone be durable enough to not disintegrate in the hand, the sound quality it provides is surely the second-most important aspect, especially for one of a higher-than-average price. We can tick the preliminary box. Now, the sound quality of these can be summed up as airy, light, and silky smooth in the upper-mids and lower treble. Bass is controlled, precise, and extends well into lower ranges - but it's not boomy. It's not exaggerated. It's present, but it doesn't kick. Listen for it, and it's all there.

Bass is something of a tricky issue with headphones, because people's past experiences and expectations define what they think is 'good sound'. I don't blame anyone for wanting some 'thump' to their bass; it's often a pleasant experience. However, in this case, the H6 was designed to reproduce sound faithfully, and a faithful reproduction is not one that swamps most of the sonic palette with immense bass boom. The only problem with the neutral bass characteristic of these is that, when wearing them outdoors, and when any kind of ambient noise is occurring, which of course it usually is, your perception of the bass may be slightly dulled. As such, if you're out in a busy place listening with these whilst walking, you might on some occasions find the bass to be a tad 'anaemic'. However, I've been walking almost daily with these for almost a year, and the sound has pleased me around 95% of the time.

Nothing in the audible sonic spectrum is recessed or greatly exaggerated, except for a slight mid-peak at around 1-2kHz that the reviewer Dalethorn has pointed out already. This usually has the effect of bringing forward higher-pitched, smoother-timbre vocals, which to my ears has only ever been pleasant, but which could possibly be less tasteful in some rare applications for some ears.

As for the experience with different devices, they sound great plugged straight into an iPod classic - and thus most likely all other kinds of iDevice; they were built with portability in mind, and definitely don't need an amp to shine sufficiently. However, if you plug them into an extra amp, be it a portable headphone amp or a desktop amp or speaker amp, they will sound slightly 'fuller', perhaps 'weightier' and the soundstage may be improved variably. I'm no electronics expert, but I would hazard that this has less to do with the amount of power supplied, since these are relatively low-impedance headphones anyway, and more to do with the intrinsic quality differences between low-cost dac/amps in iPods, and higher-cost dedicated dac/amps. The bottom line is that plugged straight into a portable player, these things sing very sweetly indeed.

On a more subjective note, I'd like to add that the 'silky smooth' texture I mentioned earlier is actually one of my favourite qualities of these headphones; I own the AKG K550 and the legendary Sennheiser HD 600, and though the AKG has a great soundstage and imaging, and though the HD 600 has an overall more refined sound, the H6 is the only headphone out of these three to give me an extra, subjective pleasant 'feeling' in my head; there's something I find so 'sweet' about the presentation of the mids and treble, and it strikes me every time. I'm interested to know if anyone else who owns these has the same experience.

BUILD QUALITY & THE PHYSICAL PRESENTATION:

In terms of build quality, the H6 is quite superb in most ways. These are light, yet solid-feeling. The hinges that allow the earcups to rotate are smooth and assured, the extending arms are solid and well-designed; easy to adjust. The leather on the headband is tough, yet smooth-feeling to the touch. It has a nice thickness, and looks great stitched onto the aluminium-reinforced, polycarbonate, fabric mesh-covered headband frame. Some have concerns over the unfinished-looking sides of this piece of leather, but I can assure you that this leather has been treated by B&O so well, it makes for no detriment at all.

The leather on the earcups is sheepskin, as opposed to the calfskin of the headband, so it's exceptionally soft, and feels rather like one's own skin behind the ear and around the top of the neck. Chamfered aluminium plates encapsulate the 40mm headphone drivers, and a fine-grained concentric etching produces a very eye-pleasing radial sun-burst effect against the light. The plastic this plate sits on does not feel low-quality to me; indeed, plastic does not have to mean 'cheap and nasty'; this stuff seems scratch-resistant, solid, and a good choice to reduce the weight of the headphones.

The only thing that alarms me about the earcups are the sharp-edged plastic rings around which the earpad leather is stitched to retain it. The edges of the plastic plates in the earpads themselves can be felt through the thin leather of the earpads, and produce a circular relief on the leather they meet from within. I worried about the potential for tearing here for some time, and in one unfortunate drop I experienced recently, as the headphones caught against my bedside table after slipping off it, the leather of the right earpad did indeed tear a 3 mm section against its inner retainer ring. The earpads can be removed with a firm anti-clockwise rotation about the earcups, and replaced. As a temporary fix, I used some Bostik leather adhesive to fix the leather back together.

Another potential problem with build quality can be found in the cable that comes supplied. While the cable is quite thick, and feels strong, there is some concern over quality control over the plug terminations; the termination on mine at the end furthest away from the iDevice remote has a slightly crooked plug. I should emphasise that this does not seem to be the case for most people's units, and the cable is removable and replaceable! The crooked plug my cable has does not affect sound quality, but does look annoying when sitting perpendicular from a device, against which a slightly crooked angle is visible. I have read a few other reviews mentioning the same problem. Further, I don't like the rubbery texture of the cable flex, which is very clingy, and tends to pull on clothes, potentially straining connections. The cable is also quite microphonic against clothing. This may bother me more than others, though.

Despite a couple of issues, the headphone itself is remarkably well-built, and together with the sound quality for the price for which these are available, I am very pleased overall.

As a piece of design to enjoy off-the-head, they're exquisite, as can be sampled from photos, and I challenge anyone to think differently. Jakob Wagner has excelled himself with his design.

COMFORT:

Thanks to their lightness, the H6 is very comfortable on the head, with the memory foam earpads resting well against the ears, especially after warming up a little. Despite being closed-back headphones, the leather on these earpads breathes very well; I tend to sweat while wearing my AKG K550s, their protein leather perhaps not being so breathable. Clamping force is not too tight. I dare say the earcup openings are not quite big enough to avoid touching the entirety of the ear, but the pads and leather surrounding them are so soft, after a bit of wiggling around, you tend to ignore their presence.

Off the ear, don't worry about the lack of a hard carrying-case - extend the arms fully and hang them around your neck, cups faced against your chest, and you have a comfortable, non-intrusive style-statement (not fashion) and temporary storage solution.

OVERALL:

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Beoplay H6, and plan to continue enjoying them for a long time. If you're not a bass-head, and you've been thinking about a conveniently-sized, over-ear, closed-back headphone in this price range that works great for portable use and looks beautiful, then don't hesitate. As of January 2015, some of the World Cup special edition Pepsi-collaborative H6s in blue leather are still available on Amazon, so if you want to save some more money, you might consider those instead of the standard Black or Tan versions. For around £179, those are an absolute steal - and for the higher prices, well, I think they're well worth it.

Thanks for reading; now get listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars The packaging is much like the apple type (worth keeping) they do sound amazing ..., 11 Jan. 2015
Can't really put anything else that others haven't put. I have noticed I don't have the volume up past half gets way to loud which I used to do on other headphones. The packaging is much like the apple type (worth keeping) they do sound amazing and feel so comfortable and light. All in all I'm glad I went for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars top marks, 7 Feb. 2015
All I can say is wow
This is what sound should sound like
Top marks all the way 10 out of 10
The BeoPlay H6 are so good I have bought a 2nd pair for my wife

5.0 out of 5 stars Audiphile luxury headphones!, 17 Jun. 2014
The H6 headphones are really confortable to wear for prolongued periods of time. It is a really important aspect that fits the right way with good sound quality. Their sound is flat not bass boosted so it is possible to hear natular balanced sound similar to some monitor headphones. I have to emphasize that it allows to appreciate enough detail of sound at different frequencies with different instruments. The color of the sound of this headphones is a really pleasent to listen to. The design and de manufacture assembly are impecable spreading luxury, style and audio quality. As sound is subjective some people would prefer bass boosted headphones. These are not but if that is your choice, you can get an amplifier and it is possible to get superb audio to everyone personal standars. I've tested with Audio technica AT PHA05BT (bluetooth amplifier) connected by a 30cm gold plated coiled cable and the sound quality is great with different equalizations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and uncompromising headphones, 30 Jun. 2014
Alain Garner "Alain Garner" (Canterbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
These headphones are impeccable quality both in sound and build quality, with amazing style and sophisticated aesthetics. The headphones are surprisingly light despite being built out of high-quality aluminium and leather, with memory foam padding making them easy to listen to for hours. The sound is definitely the best I have ever heard from headphones, I have Bang and Olufsen speakers at home and the H6's are the closest thing I have heard to loud speakers, the sound is exceedingly full with a clarity of sound and positioning second to none. I would definitely recommend these to anyone looking for premium headphones, as well as the exceptional service Bang and Olufsen provides their customers.