on 7 August 2015
FABULOUS!
My first discovery of Escobar's writings......, life has changed for the better ever since. Having devoured all his publications on Amazon (Kindle) since, including months of excited and frustrated anticipation during the waiting period of pre-ordering, I can hardly wait for more of his delightful work.
Being a 'Weegie in Exile', it's such a delightful reminder of my pubescent and later years growing up and behaving badly in Glasgow.

It made me feel I'd lived, ate , and slept ( where appropriate :-)) with all the characters.

This review applies equally to Sideways Movers (I've copied it there), and can't wait for more !
on 27 October 2014
A brilliant opening (pun noted) and a cracking read for those not easily offended by graphic Glasgow humour. At less than two notes, it's a steal and safer than buying gas lighters (four furra pound) on Argyle Street. I fully recommend this book, and I'm already looking forward to the next installation.
on 9 June 2014
Good stuff : banter, casual violence, sleaze, daftness, recognisable, ranting
Niggles : geography, bus numbers and a couple of continuity pointers

In similar vein to Brookmyre - funny, entertaining, language - and Irvine Welsh - plot, rawness and squalor

Read it once. Now going back for the stuff I missed.

Highly recommended.
on 23 January 2015
For those in a rush..

Will it win the booker prize ? = no
Is it a bit like trainspotting ? = yes
Did it make me laugh ? = yes
Would my mum like it ? = no
on 15 September 2014
Despite the occasional amusing and/or shocking episode, this is a poor "Trainspotting by numbers" - like the author read Irvine Welsh and thought it would be easy to combine schemies and booze and violence and regional accents to come out with a hit Scottish novel but missed out on key aspects of tone and plot and character development.

The main problem I have with it is that while it emulates Trainspotting's format of having each chapter written in the first person but by different characters, the author can't get those characters to speak in different voices. This makes it read like the same man living three different lives.
on 2 May 2015
Move over Irvine Welsh and James Kelman....you have some competition! Got this book via Escobar Walker's website after he left a comment on my Facebook page about Scotland. Best two pounds I have ever spent. I will never leave my luggage in the boot of a taxi in Glasgow again. Or eat chocolate ice-cream. Worth a read. 5 stars.
on 29 September 2014
Starts off very funny but becomes a bit of a drag. Not one likeable character and I am a massive fan of Scottish Anti-hero characters. Unfortunately none of the three main lads in this book compare to some of the better main characters in Scottish fiction. Will still probably read the sequel at some point though, quite a gripping ending.
on 30 April 2014
Crikey, i've read some close to the knuckle books in my time, but this takes the biscuit. Jaw droppingly funny & absolutely filthy.

If John Niven & Irvine Welsh had a lovechild, and it fell on it's head on the way out of the filithiest orifice known to man, you'd be 1% of the way to just how wonderfully deranged Escobar Walker is.

Really.
on 5 March 2014
This book had me hooked from page one until the last page and the words THE END. I read it in a weekend. It really is that good. Its one of those books that I will probably read several times over the next few years. I repeat: it really is that good. I really cannot believe someone has given this one star recently - perhaps they were the victim of a chocolate chip ice-cream prank themselves in the past!! If I could give it six stars I would. If I could give it ten I would. I really cannot recommend Bowling Ball highly enough. It's not only the most hilarious debut novels I have read in years, but its also one of the most well written. It certain doesn't surprise me that it has already been short-listed for several awards - its the sort of book that easily transitions into a film because of its nature - every chapter is a quality story in its own right. I thought Escobar Walker was a dead colombian drug-lord - but either way, I await with great anticipation the authors next book.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
on 21 March 2016
Not great! Each chapter written in first person, with no difference between the characters. Difficult to follow with continued reference to cousin, brother, friend etc rather than the name of the character I kept having to recap who was referring to who.
I made it to the end, as I try never to give up on a book. It was bought as a 2 book set, I've no wish to start the second one,

No where near as good as other Scottish writers, Chris Brookmyre, Irvine Welsh, Stuart McBride to name a few.