5.0 out of 5 stars He just keeps getting better and better
I first heard a Steve Earle track almost 25 years ago.

From the first moment I heard that voice I was hooked - and now a quarter of a century later, after all the booze, the drugs, the jail time and the many many marriages he's still here and still able to make me stop and listen for 45 minutes.

This collection of songs is quite possibly his best yet...
Published 23 months ago by Cambridge Ian

2.0 out of 5 stars Low Highway is a low point
Let me start by saying that I am a massive Steve Earle fan- but I honestly feel that the last good album he has done was Jerusalem. His sound has changed very much and so has the production. From a song writing point of view also it seems every album as started getting worse.

I don’t want to start bad talking Steve, as I think he is amazing but...
Published 7 days ago by The Freak

5.0 out of 5 stars He just keeps getting better and better, 16 April 2013
Cambridge Ian (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)
I first heard a Steve Earle track almost 25 years ago.

This collection of songs is quite possibly his best yet - the voice, the emotion and the stories that underpin all he does now is apparent form first track to last. this isn't going to get any radio airplay in the uk at all but it will be a permanent fixture on car mp3 player for the forseeable future.

I haven't watched the dvd yet and I don't have the ability to play the high def audio copy on the dvd but as they added only a a few pence to the cost they have to be worthwhile buying.

21st century blues is my standout track - love it.

Classic Steve Earle, Simply brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve shows his class here, 15 April 2013
Mr. Thomas L. Bromley (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)
I felt that whilst the last album he made with T Bone Burnett had some strong songs on it, they were all very similar in feel and kind of blended into each other. Making a "road" record as Steve describes it forced Steve to make a more instinctive record here and his fans are rewarded with probably the most musically versatile he has made in ages. Its always hard to assess where a Steve record will rank, he isnt capable of making a bad record although I do feel that the last album for the reasons I expressed was a bit lacklustre.

The album puts you in the unique position that only a major songwriter like Steve would put you in , where your favourite track changes almost daily. The power of good music is it catches up on you so initially hearing "Invisible" I was underwhelmed safe to say I love the song now , a song that deals with how you might feel as a homeless person. Steve will never claim to be a saint but he does write about things that matter to the common man the last song is a heartfelt plea to his very young son John Henry Earle for him to "Remember Me" as with Steve being a father in his fifties he deals with the fact that he may not see his son grow up.I think this may be the only song that may not work for some people, at least not straight away but the sentiments he expresses are sincere. John Henry also has autism another fight for the Earle's.

As soon as you hear the first chords of "Low Highway" where Steve imagines himself in the Depression, you know you are in for treat, and there are also songs that rock like Calico County or Is that All Youve got? (sang with his beautiful wife Alison Moorer)or Down the road (Part 2) to more heartfelt songs like "Burning It down" , After Mardi Gras and Love's Gonna Blow My Way are very different to anything he's tried before with a beautiful violin weaving itself in and out of both songs, as is the piano chord driven Pocketful of Rain- these songs best exemplifies how Steve was trying new things on this record. Warren Hellman's Banjo is less than 2 minutes long and sees him revisit the bluegrass roots we loved on "The Mountain". 21st Century Blues is the most "political" he gets and is it a political song in the usual sense you get With Steve, or just him expressing that we live in a world gone wrong?

This record has helped me rediscover Steve's music as I went back and listened to some older records that believe it or not never hit me that much on first listen namely Jerusalem and The Revolution Starts Now. Its a wonderful record and with his son Justin Townes hitting us with a new record later on this year to be a fan of the Earles is a very rewarding thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars quite a gem. And a bit addictive., 16 April 2013
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)
I downloaded this to see and I will now do the right thing and buy this. If an album is good I like to buy the real thing.Its had 3 listenings tonight and grows on you each time. Thanks Steve. A great collection of tunes. You havent finished yet.
A special songwriter that keeps on keeping on.

5.0 out of 5 stars An important Piece The Jigsaw., 2 Jun. 2013
J. Logan (Kilmarnock, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)
Steve Earle has in recent years has gone back to the bare bones basics with great success. As you would expect from one of America's music's great songwriters. Steve is a master when comes to writing in the narrative prospective. The characters in his songs are by in large the common every day people we meet in our oh so real lives. This is a skill he has horned over the years. This album sees a return to Steve's pre - 9/11 form. The Low Highway is a work that is as stunning as the diversity woven into it's fabric. In many respects it marks Steve returning to where he left off with 2000's "Transcendental Blues." Like "T.B's" this is an album that act like a collection of short stories told against the back drop of modern day America, with his trademark cinematic scope employed. If you have not connected with Steve in recent years. This is the album by which to re-connect. If you seek any further convincing. well before you part with your hard earned cash. Take a few moment to seek out and wonder at the video for Steve Earle's "Invisible." Then give your ears a treat and take a journey along "The Low Highway."

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 April 2013
Richard J. Kelly "largoman" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Steve since I purchased Guitar Town when I had a lot less grey hair. I got this album from Amazon a couple of days ago and it's been played, played, played and played again. It's such a great album and right through to the last track a songbook of true delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Earle Being Earle, 16 April 2013
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)
My expectations for a new Steve Earle recording is that it's simply Earle being Earle. As much as he enjoys flights of fancy, love songs, and songs honoring family and friends, he equally cannot tear himself away from injustice, hardships, and acknowledgements of the frailty of our lives - and especially his own.

As an audience it's possible to become somewhat used to things simply being excellent, so much so that we can forget just how good Earle is. His consistent output is such that pre-ordering once a new disc comes up is a reflex action on my part.

This recording covers the usual canvas, from the disenfranchised to simple melodies and messages. The other musicians are used subtly, but careful attention to the backing track reveals the details nicely.

Writing "this is Earle being Earle" m ay sound like damning with faint praise, but the fact is he has defined himself long ago, and is simply plowing the furrow in ever more deliberate ways. And so consistent is his work that you could choose this, or any other of his recordings, as an introduction.

The CD comes in a Digipac that folds out into three panels. The booklet contains full lyrics. The "Special Edition" includes a "Making of" film, and a music video on a DVD. However, the real bonus is a high resolution copy of the album in 24/96.

5.0 out of 5 stars Earle In His Element, 2 May 2013
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)
An outstanding album, as one can rightly expect of Steve Earle. Worldly worn and worldly wise, politically astute and acerbic, can rock your friggin' socks off, passionate and romantic.

A song that has been given quite a bit of attention from this latest release is 'Burnin' It Down' where Earle imagines torching a Wallmart store. Whilst the sentiment is angry enough, there is a beauty in the song itself and a resignation in the empathised rationale for the act which tempers the idea somehow. What I mean is there's more pathos in the `why' of the thought than considering the violence of the act.

Allison Moorer adds great harmony, and accordion, to the slight TexMex of 'That All You Got'. This, 'Love's Gonna Blow My Way' - with violin by Eleanor Whitmore - and 'After Mardi Gras' are a trio of fine songs written by Steve for his appearances as a character in the equally fine New Orleans-set TV drama 'Treme'.

Earle's weary Texas drawl is such a distinctive sound, and when he talks low and painfully through 'Invisible' - a song about being itinerant/dislocated/disconnected - there is such an authenticity it hurts. This quality is heightened with the album closer, the genuinely emotive 'Remember Me', a song Earle has written for his baby son, John Henry, as he a father of 58 anticipates the inevitable separation his age will cause so much earlier than he would have wanted. It could be a maudlin moment, but the honesty with which Earle has always written and sung his songs wrests this excellent one from that possibility.

2.0 out of 5 stars Low Highway is a low point, 20 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)

I don’t want to start bad talking Steve, as I think he is amazing but can’t help but feel that everybody keeps giving these very average albums 5 stars just because it is by Steve Earle.

The low highway I feel really is a nothing Cd to the point that I was even thinking of sending it back. There are no real stand out tracks, the production is bad and is by far the worst thing Steve has put out thus far. There are one or two good songs, but these feel like had they been on one of his strong albums, would just be fillers,.

I keep buying all of his CDs in the hope that it will suddenly go back to a real Steve Earle sounding Cd but am constantly getting disappointed.

I honestly cannot understand how this album got so many good reviews and can’t help but feel if Steve put out an album with him granted and making noises, it would still get 5 stars just because it is Steve Earle.
I would suggest if you are thinking of buying this CD, listen to it first as you will probably find you are disappointed… again.
The low Highway really is a low point!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Steve Earle album, 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)
I went to see Steve Earle in concert. He played the whole of the album, which I'd never heard.. After buying it and listening I realised I could remember every song from the show.
That to me is the mark of a great record, and it gets better with repeated listening.
He is, I believe, one of the few long running artists that is constantly making outstanding albums, and the Low Highway is no exception.

is no exception.

Steve Earle rocks!
Rhino

4.0 out of 5 stars Steve Earle is always worth listening to, 27 May 2013
This review is from: The Low Highway (Audio CD)
S***kickin' as only Earle can do it. For some people a little too much mountain music. But there's ballads as well

The Low Highway [+digital booklet]
The Low Highway [+digital booklet] by Steve Earle & The Dukes (& Duchesses)
Buy MP3 Album£7.99