5.0 out of 5 stars A great device that just about hits all the spots
As my first tablet device (I'd been waiting for a 3G Nexus 7 with a micro-SD slot) I was not quite sure whether this was really going to suit me, but as I hadn't bought any gadgets for a while I decided to treat myself. I'm glad I did.

Good points:

Published 13 months ago by S. Gouldstone

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable
Published 12 months ago by Chris Boardman

5.0 out of 5 stars A great device that just about hits all the spots, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Asus Fonepad ME371MG 7-inch Tablet (Intel Atom Z2420 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 3G, Camera, Android 4.1) (Personal Computers)

Good points:

I think the screen is pretty good. Comparing it with a Nexus 7 it is not *quite* as bright on full but there is almost nothing in it, neither are much use in bright sunlight unless you squint a bit in your own shadow. I like the Asus Splendid app they provide which allows you to tweak display parameters, I've just upped the saturation slightly to give photos that slightly more rich look but left everything else alone.

Good size. OK, this would apply to any 7 inch tablet, but for me it is probably the smallest screen where I can comfortably read text on a web page without either it being too small or having to constantly scroll about all over the place, like on my phone. I can also get it in a few pockets in shirts, jackets and trousers, though I would not want to take it routinely like I do with my phone.

Micro-SD slot. With a 32Gb card in I have 44Gb of storage available (as Android itself takes up 4 of the 16 Gb built in). Plus, of course, I can swap the card for another one if I want to (one for work, one with videos for the kids etc). Why limit yourself to just the memory in the device?

Camera backup. I can use the Fonepad as a backup device for my camera, after shooting a few Gb of photos or videos, I simply connect the camera (Canon 650D if you're interested) to the Fonepad with the Canon USB lead and copy the photos onto the memory card. If the card fills up (like it might do on holiday) I simply put another one in. This saves me taking a whole laptop along to do the same job. Using the RawDroid app I can also look at raw pictures on the screen, which is much, much better than looking at them on the camera screen. You also need to buy a USB OTG (on-the-go) lead to use this functionality, from about 1 on ebay. This also lets me attach a USB card reader (or any USB external disk I've tried) to the Fonepad to move files about with the File Manager.

Battery life is good. Usually I put it in airplane mode and then turn WiFi on to use it in the house. In this way it only needs charging every few days. With 3G on, it will easily last a whole day with normal use.

3G. I couldn't see much point in getting a tablet without it as it's not always convenient to tether to a phone and having the function on-board is just so much easier. I can also create a wi-fi hotspot with the Fonepad and let other devices share the 3G connection - handy if your friends only have ipods or Nexus 7s.

And it's a phone too! I can't understand the number of reviews I have read where almost their whole approach is "Gosh, how stupid you look using this as a phone!". Well if that really bothers you, ninny, then *don't use it as a phone*! You don't have to, I've only used the phone functions once or twice, but it is certainly nice to have them there if you want them. Of course you can send texts without looking stupid whatever the size of your phone. If all your contacts are in Google then they appear on the phone automatically, all synced with your other (Android) phone. Having the functions there mean you can, if you want, put the SIM from your normal phone in the Fonepad and leave your normal phone at home. I might do this next time I go on holiday, giving me just one gadget to worry about.

Bad points:

The placement of the power button right next to the volume up/down buttons seems a bit daft. It is easy to turn the device off instead of changing the volume, however as powering it back on is no harder than pressing the power button again this isn't as bad as it sounds.

OK so it's not as fast as a Nexus 7, with only a single core (dual-threaded) CPU. To be honest I haven't really noticed this in use. Like on a PC, most performance issues come from having enough memory, and with a Gb of RAM it seems to comfortably roll along. I admit I haven't tried a massively CPU centred shoot-em-up game (where it might lag I guess) but for all normal uses the performance is fine for me. I tried loading a flight simulator (X Plane) to test the graphics and I can see nothing wrong with it here. Comparing an Intel against an ARM CPU is clearly not just a matter of looking at the numbers.

I'm not really a fan of the sleek, metallic finish as it makes it a bit slippery to hold. However, I got around this by buying a 2 rubbery cover for a Nexus 7 (they are the same size, it just covers the back and sides) which fits perfectly and gives the back a much more rubbery feel. Even though this doesn't have holes in the right places for power and volume buttons I don't mind this as it gives the device extra water-proofness and the buttons can still be pressed through the cover anyway. Plus, with the cover and screen protector on it is covered on all-sides so I can shove it into a pocket or bag without worrying about the odd scratch or smear.

Not Gorilla glass. I suppose they saved a few pennies here, but as I always use a screen protector with this anyway I am not that concerned.

No decent camera. This is the only real downside to this device IMO, which means I would not be able to retire my normal phone - even if I wanted to. The UK version of course has only a 1.3 Mp front camera, fine for Skype etc but not for much else. Some versions have a 3 Mp back camera too, but apparently that's not much cop either, though I haven't seen any results from it.

Summary: Recommended. Don't let the idiotic "it's too big as a phone" reviewers put you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it so far, 28 April 2013
L. Howells (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
So I decided to take a break from iOS and my iPhone for a while and take a different approach. I used to be quite anti-Android, a bit of an Apple fan boy but after using a 7 inch Jelly Bean tablet for the last 6 months I began to really enjoy the experience.

Took delivery of this yesterday and it will become my main device (must admit I use the phone less and less) and I'm not worried about looking silly. I have a blue-tooth stereo headset and it's performing perfectly. I also have I have big pockets (big, rather than deep - did I mention this is an absolute bargain?)

This is to a top notch, quality device. Fits nicely in the hand and is slightly narrower than the ipad mini and a lot cheaper, especially the 3G version (without the voice option). The screen is gorgeous and bright, the battery life is really great - I have been using it for 8 hours continually today for all sorts of things and the battery is still 38%. I even like the Asus additions to the stock Android experience including the notification pull down and floating mini apps usable over the current app.

Negatives. Not many. I suppose the main one is that the CPU could be faster. It zips along perfectly well I hasten to add and I've had zero freezes (unlike my Sumvision tablet with much faster CPU spec). I don't play any 3D fps games on tablets - as I have never found it a great experience on any device due to poor control mechanisms, but I doubt this would perform so well. But all the apps I use work fluidly and smoothly. The lack of forward camera is a shame and occasionally useful, but the front camera is useful for video calls etc.

Someone mentioned somewhere that the speaker wasn't so great. Seems perfectly good to me, but maybe I have no expectations to fill a room with sound with a seven inch tablet.

Great tablet. Great price. Teamed up with a Giffgaff unlimited 3G data plan it's a great and flexible all in one mobile consumption device.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so happy with this product, 20 Aug 2013
I am so happy with this product, It does everything I want it too...I went for the Fonepad because I wanted good connectivity on the internet, so a `phone' should in theory have it....and this certainly does. One of the great things is texting from it, so much easier than from a normal phone. I have teamed it with Jabra BT2046 bluetooth headset (14.20) which works well so now I also use the phone (meaning I leave my normal phone at home at the weekends)...My airtime provider is 3 and I have their Essential Internet SIM 200 30day plan which gives me 200mins/5000text/500MB data, and this has provided very reliable with good coverage for 9.90pm. I have also bought the G-HUB Black folio skin cover from Amazon which came with a stylus pen (sold by OGADGETHUB cost me 9.95), which I am very happy with and with a 16GB microSD card fitted so I am well set up.

I have found the Fonepad to be extremely responsive and have several games that run perfectly, as does Kindle, Googlemaps and the Browser....I particularly like the Supernote Lite app, which I used to write free hand notes at work, music (via the Play Music app or Spotify) and Video/You Tube/Iplayer all play well and I was surprised at how good the voice recognition feature works. I have loaded apps like Docs to Go which adds to productivity (although the loaded document viewer is pretty good anyway) Evernote, and others like The Trainline, Tube map, National Rail, and Buschecker (for London) and they all load up quickly. Did I mention email? ...well that works fine I have a Gmail account and can also access my work emails no probs...and of course a 7" tablet makes writing emails a doodle.

I guess the only slight criticism is the screen doesn't fare to well in bright sunshine.... as far as the camera is concerned, other posters have commented about the provision of just a forward facing camera, which is fine for `selfies' and Skype and I have used it to take snapshots at work, but I wont pretend this is the Asus' finest feature, although it has video option and some nice editing options ...if they added a high resolution camera to the rear for UK models this would be perfect tablet for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased indeed, 29 April 2013
After looking at the Nexus 7inch, 32gb, 3G version I had decided that 240 was a little bit much and not having storage expansion was a real deal breaker for me so when i came across the Fonepad it seemed to fit my needs. Micro SD slot, 3G capable and can be used as a standard mobile phone unlike other 3G tablets, I know its big but when on holiday to be able to slot my SIM in this device and leave my mobile at home is certainly a plus, one less device to take with me, I feel like a branch of Currys sometimes carrying a camera, mobile, iPod, tablet etc etc. The only let down is the lack of a rear camera but saying that I would always use a dedicated camera as pictures even on 8-10meg phones are never as good.

The tablet itself arrived this morning and first impressions are its build quality is equal to the Nexus, the operation of apps, video and music inc BBC iplayer is faultless.

All in all for 180 I reckon its the bargain tablet of the year, why buy a Nexus? Although I believe a new Nexus tablet is being released in the next few months, it would need to be pretty special to beat this though at the same price point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value versatile tablet, 19 May 2013
Very pleased with this -screen is good size is good, value good. Android -well that is android -not quite the latest but a big improvement over my ice cream sandwich phone. The only thing I knocked a star off for is the very curved back makes it want to jump out of my hands when I try to power up -it makes it a bit of a slippery shape. I think I would have preferred a squarer edge like an Iphone?
Battery life good. Does not come with a screen protector or case - just a charger.
Note SIM slot is micro sim -I have not got one yet so not tried the radio, but nice to know you have that flexibility if you need it. WIFI works well for me though! I think a good travel tablet -why take the phone as well? For me it is too big to hold to my head though -needs a headset if you are thinking phone or put it on your desk on handsfree.

4.0 out of 5 stars a lot for your money...., 2 Aug 2013
This has been marketed by ASUS according to their own advertising as a phone / handset first and tablet second. Whilst this is in doubt by several reviewers here I would like to add my view. I am no stranger to large mobile / quirky combination handsets, Ive had the Dell Streak 5, Motorola Atrix and laptop dock, Samsung Galaxy Note 1 , Note 2, ASUS Padfone 2 and now ASUS Fonepad 7. All in my opinion excellent phones / combinations but ALL very expensive on early adoption. My eyesight is a bit dodgy so large real estate has always been a prime driver when purchasing, laughs about size have ceased when jealous eyes are cast over fantastic looking movies on a big screen, real book size kindle reader, a page to a window text flow browser and the ability to read / send large font texts when drunk. The thing is with the Fonepad has got to be bang for your buck, 3g phone AND tablet for under 180!!!!!! How can they do this? For a start its a little flimsy, the metal rear case feels a bit slight and no doubt will scratch / ding easily without a case, adding a case however will make it impossible to slip into a jean pocket. No Gorilla Glass so again potential for scratches, I usually hate screen protectors as they detract from the whole experience for me but in this case being so large I might make the exception. Much has been made about the Intel Atom chip not being up to spec and that its a little slow, Ive seen this only occaisionally personally and I am mad multi tasker and so what, is your life so important that those precious semi-seconds will be sorely missed? Spend the difference on the price of this say against a Note 2 on quality wine and see how many bottles you can buy. I will always have a smaller social phone for nights out etc, this Fonepad will fulfil all my other needs quite nicely thank you. Holding up to the head to answer a call may look a little silly to others but, if you've bought this you like quirky anyway. You can always use a bluetooth headset or, one of those bluetooth pen things you can get to answer your calls on, how James Bond is that! Still, loving the mad ASUS ideas, long may they continue to come up with the weird and wonderful. its cheap its cheerful so jump in and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit!, 12 May 2013
I confess, I am the crazy who bought this as a phone! And it is brilliant... I've had it a fortnight now, so I've had a chance to get used to it.

Yes, you would look odd with it pressed to your head, so I use a headset.

I can see it, and read the screen without glasses, which is not something I can do with my brother's Galaxy Note.

I bought a case for it, but it still fits in my inside jacket pocket, or the inside pocket of my fleece, so I haven't had to resort to a manbag, which was my main concern when ordering it.

The crowning glory is the price, 300 LESS than a Galaxy Note, and if your principal uses are phone / email / text, the battery will last 3 to 4 days - Remember that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - it does everything - so far, 14 Jun 2013
jds (Birmingham England) - See all my reviews
Originally I was just about to buy an Apple ipad mini for 370 - but at 179 this was less than half the price. I've had this Asus for 2 months now. Asus also manufacture these as the much more heavily marketed Google Nexus 7, but Google charge quite a bit more for exactly the same thing. Why?

It's an amazing product; stick in a free SIM card from GiffGaff and for 12/monthly you get unlimited internet + 250 mins of calls with no contract - just pay from month to month! (I've since changed to GiffGaff's 7.50 per month tariff, which gives me all the connection I need for even less money)

After downloading the Android Kindle app, and all my books etc became available for reading anytime, anywhere and my old Kindle was instantly obsolete

In the car, it connects to bluetooth and, with a bluetooth earpiece, hands-free phone calls are easy. You could also use it this way as a sat nav, though I've not done this myself (got one in my car already)

At the weekends I enjoy walking in the country-side, so I got the ViewRanger app and downloaded a collection of UK Ordinance Survey 1:25000 maps - I can choose my 15 kilometer squares anywhere I'm going, paying just 8 for 20 squares - a great bargain as I not only get the most beautiful detailed maps of many countries all around the world, but, as they're on my tablet, I also get that clear red mark on my map to show exactly where I am, and which way I'm heading! I can never get lost again!

A waterproof ipad mini bag with shoulder string, costs just 5 elsewhere on Amazon - I recommended this if your outside with it much, as this Asus isn't waterproof, unlike the new pads from Sony.

An extra 32GB micro memory card doubles the total memory, so I can hold loads of other stuff too. I've got all my business accounts on it, so I can immediately issue and email invoices direct to customers, while I'm still in front of them - wherever we are.

Camera is completely hopeless - just about usable for skype chatting, so if you want to take photos you'll need something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 12 Aug 2013
Chris Boardman (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I would love to like this product - it has a noticeably higher resolution than the equivalent Samsung tablet, is relatively low cost and has a SIM card slot. All of these are great. Unfortunately though I am about to receive my THIRD FonePad since the first two went faulty within weeks of their arrival. The first stopped being able to read from the microSD card after a few weeks. The second had one of those battery failures after a few weeks, whereby the unit will no longer charge up and the only option is a replacement.

Amazon say they will only accept returns after 30 days. This is contrary to UK distance selling regulations. On both occasions they have accepted the return five or so weeks after purchase, but the policy of saying 30 days only is clearly designed to obstruct lawful returns and Amazon should change it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant wee device, 8 Aug 2013
Asa MacIntyre (Glasgow, London & Hannover) - See all my reviews
I've been using this for a few months now and tis' awesome.

PROs:
It's the same resolution as the Fire so it's a really good e-reader
Its got an SD card slot
It can be used as a phone or, more importantly, a cheap 3G tablet
The overall quality seems high ie solid and shiny
It's really really good value

Cons:
You look like a doofus using it as a phone (luckily 90% of the time I use a bluetooth headset)
You have to get an import to get a back camera, why they would make the UK model without it is beyond me
I'm yet to find a really good ruggedised case (I have a three year old)