4.0 out of 5 stars Quality speaker
I received the Bluetooth speaker for review by Anker and thought to share my opinions on here.

Accessories:
The accessories is comes with are good.
I like the fact you have a long charging wire and aux cable for connecting the device with your phone via a 3.5mm connection.
It's a shame that there was no carrying pouch though.

Build...
Published 5 months ago by TotallydubbedHD

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 things you should know
There are a lot of reviews here and I've only read some of them. So, I won't enlarge on the sound quality (good via bluetooth) or the voice prompts (annoying). Here's what I wish I'd known before buying:

Published 6 months ago by Steve

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality speaker, 4 Feb 2014
TotallydubbedHD (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anker® MP140 Portable Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker (fully backward compatible) Mini Speaker with 3.5mm Aux Port, Enhanced Bass Boost, Built in Mic Speaker System, 10 Hours Playtime (Personal Computers)

Accessories:
The accessories is comes with are good.
It's a shame that there was no carrying pouch though.

Build quality:
The build quality is quite good - it is a solid feeling piece of equipment with a discrete look to it.
What I'm not fond of and dislike is the "voice" that comes to tell you if it is "connected" or "powered on" - I which there was a way to disable that, especially when the device runs low on battery.
other than that, I really like the controls you have on the speaker itself, especially the EQ button that can be accessed to change it for different types of music - you have: Bass, treble and normal modes. I personally prefer and based my review on "normal" mode.

Bluetooth Connectivity:
The connectivity is decent but not great. It was very easily paired with my Galaxy S3, but in terms of its Bluetooth range, I was left very disappointed. I feel that Bluetooth is one of the main selling points of the speaker and more so as a consumer you would be paying a little premium for it.
In this case the Anker speaker sort of failed after moving my S3 more than 5m away from the speaker (with a wall separating the two devices).
Other speakers I have tested don't have this problem and had no issues at over 15m (with 3 walls in-between).

Thus, the Anker can't be enjoyed thoroughly as a Bluetooth speaker. If I were to put it in the living room and move to the kitchen with my S3 it would start cutting out - which in all honesty is disappointing.

Sound quality:
The sound quality was quite good for this speaker. I judged it based on its "normal" mode. The highs were nice and clear, the mids were a little unnatural sounding, but at the low price tag of £30 were to be expected and finally the bass was perfect. it didn't overwhelm the mids nor was it missing in certain songs.
Its overall volume is also very loud, which makes it useful for taking to parties.

Conclusion:
I quite liked the speaker, especially with its robust design and build quality, however the Bluetooth connectivity let it down. I also found that I preferred the smaller side of the Anker Cone speaker. Due to this speaker being a little larger, you cannot just pocket it and take it to a party. You would need some sort of bag or pouch.
Coming in at £10 more expensive than the cone speaker, I find it a little harder to recommend. I personally would suggest looking at the Cone speaker that Anker offers, over this one.
That said, if you want slightly better sound and presence in the room, then look no further than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker, 27 Oct 2013
Wanted a small and easy portable Bluetooth speaker with great sound and I got....even better.
Good quality with a solid feeling, and "idiot-proof" to connect. It talks to you when power on and connected.
Clean, crispy sound even if you're on maximum volume, and the base is fantastic for the size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 23 May 2014
The sound of this practical little item is surprisingly good, especially for its size, and it's great that it can be taken anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 26 May 2014
Very good product, perfect sound.
That product meet perfectly my expectations.
Easy to use, connect with any type of phone or MP3 players

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Success!, 25 May 2014
Having read some the reviews about connecting Bluetooth speakers, I was a bit concerned ( being a techno numpty), the Anker comes with a little booklet, which has very clear instructions how to pair the speaker with a device, I charged it up and following the instructions we had music in under a minute, really impressed with every thing about this product, this time last week I didn't even know what Blue Tooth Speaker was LOL.

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 things you should know, 27 Jan 2014

1) Bluetooth is great for listening to music but not so good for video. The bluetooth introduces a delay that puts the sound out of sync with the picture. This applies to iPlayer and to media players. There appear to be NO media players for Android that support adjustable audio delay in the same way as corresponding Windows software.

...so, you connect with the supplied audio cable instead and then you find that...

2) When attached by the cable, the speaker is a dumb, unpowered extension. The advantage of this is that you can use it all day with the power off and the sound is a little better than it would be through the phone or tablet: the disadvantage is that volume is limited to what your tablet or phone will output. Which rather misses the point.

All that's really needed is an Android media player app with audio delay adjustment - the sync problem is inherent with any bluetooth device. That's not down to Anker. The lack of amplification via the cable is, though. I queried their support line and they agreed that the buttons don't work when the cable is used. They didn't say it, but it is clearly the case that there is NO AMPLIFICATION when the cable attachment is used. If you want an extension speaker mainly for watching movies, this is not the best choice. Go for a wired speaker - they're cheaper, anyway.

Sadly, mine is going back today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!!, 26 May 2014
This speaker is great and so easy to connect to mobile devices it's well worth the price, definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 May 2014
This is a fabulous little bit of kit.

I've had it a few months now, and only needed to charge it once. My iPhone lets me know how much battery is left in the status bar which is great. Once paired it connects automatically when I switch it on.

I first purchased a Minx Go for use in the bathroom, but it was a little big, sonically and physically. The Anker® sounds just right, takes up no room and placed in a corner creates a surprising amount of bass for such a little speaker.

The Minx, also a great speaker, is now much happier in the dining room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, works well with iphones or windows phones, 22 May 2014
M Smith "Ma'eee" (Twickenham, UK) - See all my reviews
My wife has an iphone 4 and I have a lumia 800 and it works great with both, displaying battery life on hers and reading my texts. Sound is surprisingly good for the size and volume is as much as you'd want from such a small device

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 22 May 2014
Sadly not for me.
Buzzed a lot at high volumne.
Very irritating flashing blue light at night making it impossible to use in the car at night sadly. Returned it.