5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing life story, forget prejudice, remember walk in someone's shoes...
I was quite shocked by the eejits 1 star review.

I heard about this book on Radio 4, the interview was amazing because you have a stereotypical view of the guy. He isn't actually Johnny Vegas, this is a character that he's created, in someways to deal with what he's gone through.

As a Catholic I've read with so much interest, I knew about Upholland,...
Published 21 months ago by Pucca84

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring in parts.
The story of Michael Pennington's youth is quite interesting - although his fixation with masturbation does get quite tedious. It tells of his emotional journey, and how the ranting self-pitying Johnny Vegas took over and became popular. Repeated descriptions of him getting drunk also start to get boring, but I suppose in order to get to know the 'real' Micheal/Johnny you...
Published 17 months ago by Pearly Queen

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A privileged insight, 23 Nov. 2014
KateP (Devon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Paperback)
I've always found Johnny Vegas fascinating; he is responsible for the funniest few minutes I have ever seen on TV (his interview on Room 101 about Beauty's Castle) and yet at other times I have felt uncomfortable watching such a loose canon, fearful of where he would go. I now know, having read this fascinating book, why I was having such conflicted feelings and that they are but a pale shadow of Michael Pennington's own.
It is written in a style that takes some getting used to, but is appropriate for the subject matter, and I wonder how long it took Michael to find a way of saying what must have been so difficult to put into words. It's a privileged insight into a comedic brain and one person's inner psyche.
I don't know what Michael is doing since he wrote the book, I hope he is finding a path that is a little easier to tread.

4.0 out of 5 stars beware , you may be drawn in too deeply, 11 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Kindle Edition)
this compelling weird and unique double autobiography had me riveted to the page. As a teetotal atheist , i could not have imagined this life . i could only finish reading it because i knew there would be a safe outcome [ tv and tea bags ] ahead .
can't wait for the next installment.
the writing feels easy and concise , as if these are a life's stories already honed in many hours of re-telling over drinks , but that is not a complaint , merely a recognition of his narrative talents and charm.
the missing star is because some of the more disgusting scenes still come to the surface of my mind's eye and i fear will always be with me

4.0 out of 5 stars Ambitious - entertaining, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Hardcover)
This is an entertaining read - and for someone who grew up at the same time in the same town, more than nostalgic. I could smell home.

But I am not sure its as well put together as it needs to be to pull of what is an ambitious - at times three voice - concept. I would have liked to know more about day to day life in the seminary - just to contextualise the other stuff that happens there. You gain great insight into how MP thinks, but not necessarily why. Similarly around Edinburgh.

Maybe more distance on his new understanding of his experiences would have helped. Its a bit like meeting someone who's just walked out of their therapists office.

But all in all I did enjoy it, just maybe not as much as I might had it been written ten years hence.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent story about a working class family and their wee boy that good up so quickly, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Hardcover)
I found this a very gripping read - I'm currently half ways through and find the creation of jonny vegas fascinating. this is a very funny book in places but yet there are parts scared the bejesus out of me. I love the photos and the snippets of Johnny's diary. ( nice handwriting Johnny ! your wriitten english skills are excellent ). Now when I see Johnny Vegas on telly I feel that I see him in a very different light. I'm not a big reader so for any book that gets my interest must be good. Its an easy relaxed read. Best Xmas present I ever had.

I now have a great respect for Johnny Vegas and want to see him more on Telly. He was very good in the series Ideal and is very under-used and under-rated. Gutsy guy from a great family. Read this book.

Viva Vegas !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant......., 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Audio CD)
I have not been a great reader of books, plus being a lorry driver I spend a lot of time on the road. So putting the two scenarios together I collect a lot of audio books. It is great to have someones autobiography read by themselves because they give so much of their real feelings when they go over their lives. Becoming Johnny Vagas is true to this point. Micheal tells you the surprising other side of his life with Johnny. I realy enjoyed this audio book and fully reccomend you listen to this, even if you have read the book, because you may get more out of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the story of how a happy young boy becomes a deeply troubled man, 2 Nov. 2014
As an avid book reader I'd always shied away from audiobooks. In my inverted snobbery I deemed them 'books for people too lazy to read'. Ridiculous I now know having listened to this. I'm not a fan of the celeb biog but this isn't that. It's the story of how a happy young boy becomes a deeply troubled man. I don't know whether I would have engaged with this half as much as I did if I had read it in a traditional format. Listening to it added another dimension. Dr Death and Johnny Vegas' voices came through loud and clear and really added to the idea that they were separate entities existing in the shell of Michael Pennington. Well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Hardcover)
If you are a fan of Johnny Vegas and you get his humour then you will enjoy this book. I certainly did, and as I was raised in the Catholic faith, there was much for me to relate to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifically compelling, 21 Mar. 2015
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Paperback)
This book is as complex as the relationship between Michael Pennington and his alter ego Johnny Vegas. At times it is positively painful to read. At others it is utterly delightful. I love what comes across as his brutal honesty about the mess his head got/gets into. I relate to much of it myself. I found myself nodding along at certain sections of the book where Michael describes his frustration with his condition and his inability to unify the warring aspects of himself. It is a fascinating read and quite unlike many other celebrity auto biographies, which is just great as far as I'm concerned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting... makes him seem all the more likeable, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Kindle Edition)
Im not a particular fan of this guy, but he has a very interesting story. A little weird how he refers to his alter ego as a different person... but a good read all the same

4.0 out of 5 stars A trip to Vegas, 25 Dec. 2014
Looby5 (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Kindle Edition)
Well written and a compelling read, a got through it in a few days. I enjoyed reading about the early days in St Helens and life in the seminary at Upholland. On the negative side I didn't really like the bits where he spoke in the third person about Vegas, I understand what he was doing but not sure it was the best way of describing the experience. I'd also like more on the later years but maybe that's tge next book. All in all entertaining and easy to read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›