on 5 January 2008
Of course 60 years of Land Rover is a nice moment to capture the history of the marque in a book.
James Taylor is the right person to do it. I had the pleasure to see the extensive and possibly the largest collection of everything Land Rover myself and I can assure everybody that no one is better positioned to write the definitive book on the first 60 years of land Rover.
Many more books will be written on the subject, but it will be a very hard act to follow.
For everybody with a soft spot in his heart for the marque, this is the book for you, and please look at the other books by the same author.
on 25 January 2008
I've just finished reading this book cover to cover. James Taylor really knows his stuff and he has managed to track down some excellent photographs and other material to back up the text.

The Photographs are excellently reproduced including some real rarities, and the text has many sidebars with additional information on the people and projects. Each Section has a breakdown of production numbers for that model and information of chassis (VIN) numbers etc.

This book covers only the "proper" land rovers, so no Discovery, Range rover or Freelander here, unless mentioned as part of the development of the Land Rover.

Many tidbits that even the enthusiast may not have seen before, such as the 80" series one built from parts in the 60's to evaluate the Rover 2000 engine in a land rover.

One of the most interesting aspects is the coverage of the variants built around the world, such as Santana, Penrite etc.

Pity about the rusty screw on the cover photo :-)
on 10 April 2010
This is certainly one for the history buffs. Losts of background information on the people & circumstances that created & developed the Series Land Rover.

There's plenty of details to keep the anoraks happy & a good selection of pictures to please the less attentive. There's no great technical detail - if you're after technical drawings & diagrams then you'll need to look elsewhere.

Overall the book is very readable with good quality photos to support the text.

If you're a fan of the Series Land Rover then I can recommend it.
on 6 October 2009
Thoroughly entertaining account of the best 4x4. Factual, detailed, with plenty of pictures. My six year old son enjoyes this book as much as I do.