5.0 out of 5 stars Maisie Dobbs series/books
I enjoy the Maisie Dobbs stories written so eloquently by Jacqueline Winspear.
Set just post the Great War, the historical contexts are evocative.
To explain too much would spoil the experience of these intelligent, reflective and informative stories.
The realities of life are woven into the fabric, alongside values in society at all levels...
Published 6 months ago by Briony Holyoake

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Maisie Dobbs' best investigations
Published 14 months ago by CHuBBie Founder

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Maisie Dobbs series/books, 13 Feb 2014
I enjoy the Maisie Dobbs stories written so eloquently by Jacqueline Winspear.
Set just post the Great War, the historical contexts are evocative.
Questioning the status quo, in a profound and gentle way.
The mysteries are thoughtfully constructed, too.
I will always be a fan.
Please, Jacqueline, don't stop writing them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maintains the standard, 4 Aug 2014
I have read all the Maisie Dobbs books and I think they are more than maintaining their quality. This one was particularly good with its storyline of attitudes to Asian immigrants before the war combined with Maisie's ongoing personal issues with her fiancée and employees in the period just before WW2. She is an interesting character who has grown like Harry Potter throughout the series. Anyone new would be well advised to go back to the first book and read then in order.. They combine historical and philosophical ideas with the dawning of the use of psychology as a tool in criminal investigation.
All this done by a woman of humble origins.who by good fortune fell under the influence and mentorship of a famous psychologist who encouraged her to follow in his footsteps and make her way as a private psychological investigator.
The period flavour is always well conveyed. These are not blood and thunder books which will set your heart racing but they can be gripping and suspenseful . I find that unlike some crime books the plots of Winspear's books stay with you

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Leaving Everything Most Loved: 10 (Maisie Dobbs) (Kindle Edition)
What can I say only that she just gets better with each compelling story. She just gets better and better

5.0 out of 5 stars Ms. Wiinspear takes her readers on another engaging journey !, 12 April 2014
Wiinspear never disappoints. This new novel is wonderful. I will follow Maisie Dobbs anywhere. A book hard to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars oh how I loved this book., 20 Mar 2014
I've read all the 10 books about Maisie Dobbs and all the people in her life,I loved her dad I thought he was great and I thought Billy and Sandra were great character's. I hope this is not the end of Maisie I want to know how she does In India and then what she will send in telegraph, yes or no. Please don't let this be the last in the life of Maisie Dobbs you must have loads of stories you could write about her. So sad coming to the end of this book.😤😹💔xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Maisie Dobbs Great Story, 17 Mar 2014
We have read all of the Maisie Dobbs books and they never disappoint, it's always nice to see what she is up to again, and how she has moved on in her life. Can't wait for the next instalment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Maisie Dobbs' best investigations, 24 Jun 2013
I am a fan of the Maisie Dobbs books - I have read them all and look forward to new releases. On the one hand this means that I am expecting to love the next book that comes along, but having such high expectations can lead to disappointment. I don't know if I didn't enjoy this book because I had been anticipating its release for a while, was expecting it to be brilliant and was left disappointed or if it just wasn't very good.
I thought the plotline was interesting, unfortunately it didn't come off as the writing wasn't up to that of the previous books. The book seemed to have been rushed. The usually good sub-stories of Maisie's employees, family, friends & the times she is writing about are what to me make the series stand out, but not this time.
It was readable but if it had been my first Maisie Dobbs I don't think I would be bothered to read any more in the series.
If you are new to the series don't start with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts on Maisie Dodds., 31 Dec 2013
A really good enjoyable read. I have enjoyed all the Maisie Dodds books so far.Looking forward to the new ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never disappointed., 28 Oct 2013
I enjoy Maisie Dobbs books very much and hope there is another when she returns home. I want to know her decision about James.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan of Maisie Dobbs, 27 Oct 2013
What more can be said than that I am a fan of Dobbs. Apart from the fact that I am learning a lot about British history. Will there be a sequel? A happy ending? Surely not just a cut-off?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›