1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting take on a clasic story., 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tesla's Revenge (Argon Adventures #1) (Kindle Edition)
In my opinion this book is definitely an interesting read. Storyline isn't so straightforward that it leaves you bored to death before you even reach the middle of it, but at the same time it's not so complicated that you, instead of enjoying it, spend majority of time wondering "what, on Earth, is going on here?". It has just right amount of complexity and twists. Sure, some are quite predictable (especially, for me, that which are leading to following books), but the story really managed to grip my interest and after finishing the first of currently available three books in series, I found myself wanting to know what happens next so badly, that I promptly bought both second and third one, and gulped all three down in two days.

Characters are really well depicted, and I really loved this version of Dorian Gray: mysterious, maybe even dangerous, but, most of the time, rather good ;) Wendy, for me, comes as person who lost all hope and sense of purpose, who doesn't really live but merely exist, and is rather badly scarred by life. I'm happy to say, though, that she regains some of it as the story continues. And I just loved interactions between her and Dorian. Tesla can be quite irritating, almost infantile sometimes, pompous, and from time to time I wasn't really sure if he is mentally balanced. He has a single-minded focus and doesn't really care if his actions hurt, badly I might add, a lot of people, as long as he can achieve his goals. Supporting characters are also reasonably described.

We get to learn a bit about Neverland and though I don't want to really write about the plot, let me tell you this: if you remember Peter Pan from one of the classic children stories of all time... than you're in for a big surprise. All main elements are there: Lost Boys, mermaids, pirates, tree house, and, of course, Peter himself, but as Wendy gradually reveals more and more about the time she spends in Neverland with Peter and children, and what she is really doing there, and why Peter is really leading kids to that realm... you can get quite disenchanted with this merry, mischievous character you know from your childhood.

For the story itself I would give this book five stars, but, unfortunately, I came across some mistakes editor (or author if she didn't have one) didn't catch. Story started, for me, a bit slow, there were rare moments when I got quite lost in dialogue and have to work back to get who is saying which part, and when I reached epilogue, for a moment I was perplexed as to whose point of view I'm reading, and that is because for most of the book we're reading Wendy's point of view, and she is also narrator, but in epilogue it's Dorian who gets the role of narrator and for the first sentence or two, until you get to know it is his point of view, it's quite misleading, or it was so for me anyway, because when I read sentence in which narrator was clearly describing what they are doing, I assumed it was still Wendy, but it really didn't make any sense for it to be her, as epilogue takes place somewhere where she isn't supposed to be. Oh, and sometimes tenses are mixed up, as in you're reading something in past tense, and then suddenly: he takes something, and then back to past tense. It looked rather like a typo to me, and it happens several times in, I think, all three books, but it's rare.

All in all, this book is really worth a try. There is nice amount of action, bit of suspense, original ideas, twisted fairy tale, and one of the villains is one H. P. Lovercraft... and he may, or may not, happened to open some portals... what it's there not to like?

Tesla's Revenge (Argon Adventures #1)