Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 13 May 2013
YASMINE HAMDAN is the lead singer of SOAPKILLS, Check out the song Kasdoura by SOAPKILLS, And the album Arabology by Y.A.S ( with MIRWAIS ), Terrific record. This is her first solo album, And this is the international version ( physical and mp3 ), The original version was released last year ( physical only ), Few songs are missing and new songs have been added. This is more traditional music, Subtle electronica, More personal. Check out the song Gamar, A cover of GEORGE BRASSENS.
'Ya Nass' is the astonishingly assured solo debut from Lebanese artist
Yasmine Hamdan. (I am unfamiliar with her earlier work with duo Soapkills
and now have some homework and catching-up to do). It is a revelation!
Ms Hamdan has a beautiful voice; warm, rich, sinuous and utterly haunting.

There are thirteen songs in the set sensitively and economically produced
by Marc Collin. The mood is largely melancholic with the playful exception
of the delightful composition 'Samar'. The artfully textured arrangements
combine both electronic and acoustic elements and provide an unobtrusive
platform for Ms Hamdan's riveting vocal performances. I thought that not
having the slightest knowledge or understanding of the Arabic language
would make it harder for me to fully grasp the meaning and depth of her
work but the accompanying booklet gives brief notes on each track which
helpfully enhanced my appreciation of the recording in its totality.

I'm falling in more and more in love with this album with each repeated
encounter but if I had to pick two numbers to take with me to my desert
island then I'd definitely have to make room for both the sublime 'Shouei'
and the brief but nonetheless enchanting 'Khayyam' in my survival pack!

Simply Stunning.
on 3 April 2016
I first came across Yasmine Hamdan around three years ago when she appeared on Later with Jools. Having bought the album and listened to this collection of songs all sung in Arabic I found it both mesmerizing and intoxicating. It just wouldn’t have the same effect if they were sung in English. Lots of beautiful songs sung with passion and intensity, just listen to the track Hal.

This is an album that is really well produced and recorded making it a good buy for audiophiles.

If you are expecting traditional music from the Middle East you maybe a little disappointed but if you are looking for something different for your record collection this would be a good choice.
on 4 December 2013
Great tunes, great voice, great musical arrangements. I got to know about this singer through a programme at the radio. I absolutely loved the song they played, got the album thinking I would probably like a couple more as usual. But in fact I love them all! Bewitching.
on 28 March 2016
Wonderful voice, mesmerizing songs, all within a very special atmosphere.
on 18 July 2015
Stunning, beautiful, despite the lyrics being unintelligible to me. Beautiful sound quality too. Highly recommended.
on 29 July 2015
THIS ALBUM TAKE SOME GETTING IN TO , IT SLOWLY GRABS YOU BUT YOU HAVE TO LISTEN A FEW TIMES TO UNDERSTAND AND ENJOY
on 1 September 2013
Heard a track by Yasmine by chance and was completely entranced by her voice. Went to Amazon and found this album that showcases her talent brilliantly. Highly recommended.
on 14 August 2013
if you like a variation in your music tastes this is the album, the music is both new and stimulating
on 18 September 2014
Really interesting contemporary mix of middle eastern music