5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific album
I tried this debut album by Kacey Musgraves because it has created a considerable stir in the USA and is attracting a lot of attention here, too. I'm delighted that I did because it is excellent and well worth all the fuss made of it.

Published 20 months ago by Sid Nuncius

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good
I would not consider myself a country fan, but I thought after a few checks in iTunes I'd give it a go. And all in all it's not bad.
Published 9 months ago by David Judd

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific album, 19 April 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

Musgraves has created a country album of very good songs with lovely, singable tunes, nice harmonies and a good variety of moods. She has a fine voice, she can put a song across very well and her band are excellent - solid, sensitive and restrained much of the time which lends more power to the songs than over-the-top performance and production.

What really makes this album stand out, though, is Musgraves' lyrics. There are a number of reasonably conventional love songs and lamentations of a broken heart, all well done and enjoyable, but she also thoroughly subverts most of the attitudes inherent in much country music. She sings of the hypocrisy and small-minded bitchiness of small town life. I truly admire the guts and independence of mind it must have taken for a young Texas woman to write country songs with lines like:
"It don't matter if you don't believe,
Come Sunday morning you'd better be there in the front row
Like you're supposed to..."
(in the excellent Merry-Go-Round), or for her to write a song about wanting uncommitted sex in It Is What It Is (which her grandmother apparently insists on calling The Slut Song) which, if written and sung by a man would raise few eyebrows but quietly and brilliantly undermines the hypocrisy in attitudes to women and sex.

I especially like that Musgraves somehow manages to do all this with a wit and a warmth of heart which means that the album is anything but a prickly polemic and is a pleasure to listen to. I laughed out loud when I first heard the opening of the fabulous Follow Your Arrow:
"If you save yourself for marriage you're a bore;
You don't save yourself for marriage you're a who-o-o-rrible person..."
which is beautifully delivered and works perfectly in a Texan accent. It's a great song and there are others on the album which are just as good.

A few people really stand out from the slew of quite good country/Americana recordings at the moment. Kacey Musgraves is one of them. I think this is a terrific album and recommend it very warmly indeed.

(P.S. If you like this you may also be interested in How To Sleep In A Stormy Boat, another intelligent and musically fine album by Amy Speace How to Sleep in a Stormy Boat.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The future of Country Music - and it's Female (Fingers Crossed), 15 Nov 2013
Now not all the songs on this album are as good as the next one but for a big label debut 'Same Trailer, Different Park' shows the many sides of the talented Ms Musgraves. Her groove, which I first noticed as the co-writer to 'Undermine' - stand out song on the first TV Series of ABC's/More4 @Nashville - lets her move away from the consequence songs of country to modern day concerns of low paid but aspirational women ('Blowin' Smoke') to the problems of finding companionship & love in 'It Is What It Is'.

Using this to discover modern female country singers who are not the victims of yesteryear like Brandy Clark, Miranda Lambert.....loving it and I think others will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut Album!, 15 April 2013
S. Porter (North East, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Same Trailer Different Park (MP3 Download)
I found out about Kacey Musgraves by chance on 'Little Big Town's' facebook page a few weeks & thought I'd checkout some of her songs on Spotify & loved her voice instantly. I've heard talk that she is the next big thing in country music & after listening to the album I can why.

I really love all the songs on the album they have a catchy country beat & lyrics. There is one or two songs which may grow on me a little.

5 of my Favorite Tracks on the album:
Merry Go 'Round
It Is What It Is
Silver Lining
My House

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: Same Trailer Different Park (MP3 Download)
Purchased this as kacey is up for a cma award and I like country music this was no let down really good and worth a listen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 1st album, 16 April 2013
First heard her on Bob Harris's country music show and thought i'd give her a try. Wasn't disapointed, exelent lyrics great voice, well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good debut, 14 May 2013
Scottie (North East England) - See all my reviews
Very impressed with this high quality debut. Superb lyrics, arrangement and overall high quality production. There are some very original aspects and personality that show through and are often the signpost to an artist with a long career ahead of them but by the same token there are some homely familiarities also. I find that there are sentiments this album similar to the work of 'Little Big Town', but with a more Americana/folk feel to the arrangements similar to Carrie Rodriguez and Kacey's voice is, whilst very much her own, reminds me of a young (sorry, younger!) Cheryl Crow, especially on the track 'Blowin' Smoke'. All of which are not bad things by any means. In fact, that's like mixing some of my favourite ingredients together and making a pretty nice little cake. I would love to hear her perform a disjointed, love/hate, duet with someone like Hayes Carll.

If you like any of the artists mentioned above then I wouldn't hesitate to give it a spin.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... couple of Kacey's videos on TV and I'm really glad that I did, 19 Aug 2014
I bought this CD after seeing a couple of Kacey's videos on TV and I'm really glad that I did. Thankfully she has steered well clear of the usual banal female country singer "women are great and men are bums" path-you know the sort of thing-"he's a double-timing moron/he doesn't know what he's missing/women are unbreakable" ad nauseam!. Kacey has a sweet clear voice and her songs have a sort of conversational quality to them, as though she's just gossiping with her best mate,but don't let that fool you for an instant. On first hearing her songs seem just, well, interesting, but play them through a couple of times and you begin to see the social comment in every one of them-pretty subversive really. Just a couple of examples:- Blowin Smoke is about somebody in a dead-end job day-dreaming about what they would rather be doing-and let's face it, we've all been there!.Merry go Round is about the boredom and drabness of every-day life-again with a bit of day-dreaming in it. Highly recommended-5 stars-let's hope she brings out another CD soon!.

4.0 out of 5 stars young talent with an eye for a good lyric. Heard her on radio 2 and had ..., 1 July 2014
A fresh, young talent with an eye for a good lyric. Heard her on radio 2 and had to investigate and I am so glad I did. Delightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ALBUM, 10 Jun 2013
M. J. Shaw (Uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this CD after hearing part of a song on tv & was not disappointed with the rest of the songs, I play it over & over again in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good album, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Same Trailer Different Park (MP3 Download)
I saw Kacey on tour with Lady Antebellum and enjoyed her music. I was not dissapointed from this latest album and looking forward to seeing her in concert.

Same Trailer Different Park