4.0 out of 5 stars Desperate to hear it..., 19 May 2013
This review is from: Desperate Ground (MP3 Download)
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this and it didn't disappoint. If you read this review it may prove costly, because I recommend you just buy EVERYTHING this wildly under rated band ever released, AND buy the t shirt! This doesn't get the full 5 stars because the downside to this album is the production isn't entirely to my taste, I feel the mix is a little muffled and doesn't do the vocals justice- compare this to The Body, The Blood, The Machine and you'll see what I mean.

4.0 out of 5 stars Desperate Ground is how The Thermals sound in 2013 and it will blow you away, 19 Aug. 2014
indieisnotagenre (Berlin, Deutschland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desperate Ground (Audio CD)
Desperate Ground is a true scrappy and scratchy return-to-form for The Thermals, with all the raw power and unhinged adolescent energy that made their early LP’s so insanely enjoyable.

Lyrically, Desperate Ground is a brash and irresponsible ode to human violence, a black celebration of the inevitability of war and death. A dark and yet joyous affair, Desperate Ground tells the (murky) tale of a lone rogue in the night. One man, one path, one sword. An unceasing urge to destroy. A never-ending battle against the forces of nature. A destiny impossible to avoid.

Kicking off with the previously released single Born To Kill the band sets the pace for the remainder of the album and leave you no room to catch your breath from thereon in.

The allover sound and tempo of the album is much closer to their first three records than to Now We Can See (2009) and Personal Life (2010) which set a slower pace. It’s probably no coincidence that their former label Sub Pop decided to re-release their first three records More Parts Per Million (2003), Fuckin A (2004) and the critically acclaimed The Body, The Blood, The Machine (2006) which turned me – and probably many others – into a Thermals follower.

The Thermals have always been a rather political punk band, The Body… dealt mostly with the Bush government and the role of the USA in the world. This note is somehow absent from Desperate Ground. Of course, war is a political theme, but they made ten songs about it and none of them seems to convey a deeper message apart from the obvious one. This doesn’t make the songs less good but it equally doesn’t make them better. Instead we are graced with words of wisdom and universal such as “The ones you will hurt are the closest to you” (The Sunset) and self-references “Yeah, when I die” (The Sword By My Side cf. When I Died). Even Born To Kill could be understood as a sequel (or prequel?) to I Might Need You To Kill from The Body…

Desperate Ground is in many ways a typical album: fast and loud. The rough edge and the pace put it right in line with their older records. Unfortunately, the lyrics feel a littler weaker than on their previous three records, but maybe that’s just because they’re so set on the theme of war, weapons and killing. Regardless, Desperate Ground is how The Thermals sound in 2013 and it will blow you away.

indieisnotagenre.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Desperate Ground (Audio CD)
Outstanding album - just buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars £11.84 for 26:29, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Desperate Ground (Audio CD)
Five stars for the music which is just like all their other stuff!
Even if it's same old same old I still love it.
But £11.84 for 26:29 of music is a rip-off.
I blame The Thermals - why couldn't they bung in a live CD too?
And justify the cost.
I also blame The Download Generation of which I'm reluctant to become a part of.
You are making CDs too expensive for us dinosaurs to buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Album From the Thermals, 7 May 2013
G. C. Bland "geoffbland" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desperate Ground (Audio CD)
Another solid album from one of my favourite bands. Much more like their earlier work than their later; I'm undecided if this is a good or bad thing, I enjoyed the variety in song styles in Personal Life & Now We Can see whilst this is more more like Body, Blood & Machine.

To me the guitar sounds overproduced; a bit muddy. Hutch's guitar playing seems to lose a bit of it's spikeyness compared to previous work.

Regardless, a great record & a must buy if you enjoy the Thermals.

Desperate Ground