4.0 out of 5 stars Bonus Tracks on Hydra made me look at this
Published 12 months ago by DSWRD

3.0 out of 5 stars "Within Experimentation....".
Published on 18 May 2013 by Dave B (Leeds, UK)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars "Within Experimentation...."., 18 May 2013
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
For anyone who does not already have and love all, or at least most, of WT's back catalogue of all -original work, it's maybe an idea to catch up with all those first , then think about getting this one-off "covers" venture later - just scroll down to "Product Description" to see exactly what's on offer here. These were all recorded live in Q Music radio stations several months back, and some at least can now be viewed on You Tube to help you decide if this is for you or not.

Maybe these are best seen as a set of musical experiments, where it's only to be expected some will work great, some so-so, and some just plain won't... Or then again you might love them all, who knows? What works, or not, for you may turn on if you know /like/dislike the originals . So "Three Stars" here is really to say "If you don't expect too much ,you hopefully won't be disappointed".

For me, several tracks are just too "poppy" to give Sharon's vocals enough space to breathe and shine through as they should. But Tracks 1,2,4,8,9.12 did add up to one very listenable EPs worth - "Behind Blue Eyes" was THE "stand out" track.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bonus Tracks on Hydra made me look at this, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
So having recently bought the Hydra special edition with the extra disk and hearing the 4 tracks on there that were all taken from this CD. I thought I would give this one a go. It has some great and not so great covers on it. Personally I think Titanium, Summertime Sadness, Radioactive (though I think the original is better for this one), would be the only ones I would keep in a playlist, and 2 of those were on the special edition of Hydra anyway. This isn't to say the other songs are bad, just when you are continually bumping up against the cap of 32gb of music on your phone (on a microSD) you use as an MP3 player, some don't make the grade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Q sessions- a bunch of covers, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
Excellent set of cover songs from one of my favourite bands/singer. Brings a different 'flavour' to the songs and some are just brilliant. Have a listen on YouTube and make your own mind up, but highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars WT step out of their comfort zone... and nail it!, 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
I love most of what WT do, particularly the more recent work (The Unforgiving is a cracking album), so when I saw this I had to pick it up.
It's an album of cover versions to celebrate WT's 15th anniversary in the biz, and consists of 11 (mostly) contemporary pop songs re-recorded in a WT style.

I was only familiar with a few (The Who's 'Behind Blue Eyes', Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'The Power Of Love' Gnarls Barkley's 'Crazy' and OneRepublic's 'Apologise'), but the rest were unknowns. Indeed a few were by people I probably wouldn't look twice at - Bruno Mars? Swedish House Mafia? I'm sure they're very talented, but wouldn't ever show up on my radar.

But in WT's hands, just about every song turns out to be fantastic. Admittedly some take longer to get their hooks into you than others, but they all get there eventually.

I have to give extra credit for two things. One - the cover of 'Summertime Sadness' led me to Lana Del Rey, who I'd never heard of, and her Born To Die album, which is incredible.
And two, there was apparently a Coldplay cover recorded for the sessions, but it's been left off the CD, which is a bonus in my book.

It's a fairly short album at less than 42 minutes, but none the worse for it.
Pop / rock crossover at it's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Within Temptation = brilliance, 24 Nov. 2013
C. Simpkins "darkbard0" (W.Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
WT are my favourite band I absolutely adore them. I love this album, it's really different I love how they've made the songs their own and there's quite a few on there that I don't like the originals of but I love them the way WT do them! I know there are maybe 3/4 songs that they did that couldn't go on the actual album (you can find them online), which is disappointing but this album is still worth it - been listening none stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
Although it doesn't include all the covers they recorded for the Q Sessions the track listing is amazing. Within Temptation have made most of these tracks their own. I love Within Temptation and I love this album. Stand out tracks for me are 'Radioactive', 'Don't You Worry Child', 'The Power Of Love' and 'Let Her Go'.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Does not contain all tracks, 24 May 2013
Warren Bubb - See all my reviews
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
I was very disappointed to find that this CD does not include the cover of Coldplay's "Paradise" or Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know". There absence is inexplicable as in my opinion they are the two best covers from the Q Sessions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic covers, 19 Oct. 2013
P. BEARD (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
I have got all the WT albums and downloaded Grenade as a single just to see how they would coved a pop track
Quite simply a great album
Brilliant interpretations
I absolutely hate the Frankie Goes to Hollywood song The power of Love but WT totally make it their own

Fantastic set 6 stars if I could award it

Go buy it you wont be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars I never tire of listening to this, 16 Nov. 2013
Scotia (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
Has to be one of the greatest rock cover albums in many years, and I find myself listening to this over and over. I actually think virtually all these songs sound even better than the originals on which they are based. Stand-out tracks for me are the amazing Titanium, Let Her Go and Apologize, though they are all good. Sharon's vocals just get better and better like a fine wine, while the rest of the band provides a throbbing "wall of sound" backing. Some have said this is too much of a departure from WT's normal material, but I disagree - these songs really come to life with WT's arrangements. Going to see them live next year and hoping they play some of this Q Sessions material in the live show.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cover albums ever, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Q Sessions (Audio CD)
A very well thought out and well made covers album, I really enjoyed it and was only gutted that they hadn't done more!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Q Sessions
Q Sessions by Within Temptation (Audio CD - 2013)