5.0 out of 5 stars Mac at his best
A real treasure and highlight of my collection. Love the combination of classic McCulloch and new studio recordings although it's CD 1 (orchestral reworks) that will see the most spins for me.

Published 16 months ago by AnnieG

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?
I am a long time follower of both Echo & the Bunnymen and Mac's solo work but certainly don't fall into the sycophant bracket.
I find very little to like on either of these albums.
Published 5 months ago by Simon Levene

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac at his best, 17 April 2013

CD 1 is a relative best of Echo and the Bunnymen with chilling new versions of highlight tracks like Rescue, Nothing lasts Forever, Killing Moon and Bring On The Dancing sti Horses stripped back to an acoustic with Mac's voice shining with every track bolstered by new string arrangements. I prefer a lot of these to the originals and is worth the mere 10 quid price alone!

CD 2 is his new studio album Pro Patria Mori which is good, but not mind blowing. Best of his solo works by a mile but not a patch on the orchestral reworks but the title track, somewhere in my dreams and most definitely Watch Me Land sizing up well in McCulloch's songbook.

It's a great price for a well put together 2CD collection which features all the lyrics from Pro Patria Mori and offers something really compelling for fans and newcomers to Bunnymen's music. I must buy

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?, 13 Mar 2014
Simon Levene "dano fan" (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
I find very little to like on either of these albums.
Pro Patria Mori seems a weak (even half-hearted) effort, the songs sound like rehashed versions of songs from The Fountain or Sliding (both of which I liked). I found the lyrics to be simplistic to the point of being childish, especially evident in Me & David Bowie and the cringeworthy opener Different Trees.

I have to admit I was never a fan of live albums and the Union Chapel recordings do nothing to win me over. Mac's voice sounds brittle and lifeless, the re-workings do not improve the original recordings. No revelatory moments here for me, sorry Mac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great "Deluxe" McCulloch/Edsel Release, 18 April 2013
Lynn Zimmer "cd-addict" (Chicago) - See all my reviews
So I missed out on the whole PledgeMusic thing and didn't purchase "Pro Patria Mori" or "Live at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral" via that arrangement. I'm not terribly upset as this "Holy Ghost" two disc serves nicely to give me the studio "Pro Patria Mori" disc AND an altogether different live performance on the second disc named "Orchestral Reworks from The Union Chapel". It's this live CD that's caused some confusion and had left me wondering if it was the same show with an alternate track list, edited time(s), etc. It is, in fact, not the same. "Orchestral Reworks" times in at 59.5 minutes w/15 tracks while "Liverpool Anglican Cathedral" runs 80 minutes with 19 tracks. They are both great in their own right. I prefer the "...Reworks" track listing but favor the more lively setting (clearly audible) within "...Liverpool". Just to be perfectly clear, if it wasn't obvious already, I bought both and couldn't be happier. Nice job Mr. McCulloch and please do come back to Chicago sometime very soon (I'm still suffering from the March 2012 postponed/cancelled show).

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 11 Jun 2014
This is one of my favorite CD's at the moment. Loved the stunning version of Bring On the Dancing Horses. I saw Echo & The Bunnymen live at The Troxy recently. Ian McCulloch was just brilliant. They have still gorrit! Buy this CD! X

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Ghosts., 16 Nov 2013
Great product and transaction. Why do I have to write all these words? Fab artist, music and cd. Was there when it was recorded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 29 Aug 2013
Absolutely love this cd. Some excellent stuff here from ian mcculloch. Adore his bunnymen & solo stuff alike! Great listening material

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!!, 9 Aug 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed the orchestral rewordings of classic tunes on disc 1. Disc 2 of original songs is good, but is probably not Ian McCullochs best album. Worth having for Disc 1 alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ian McCulloch, Holy Ghosts., 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Holy Ghosts (Live at the Union Chapel / Pro Patria Mori) (MP3 Download)
I love this album, but then I'm an Echo and the Bunnymen fan. There are some wonderful moments on this, however, as with most live albums (except for the exceptional Athlete at the Union Chapel) there are moments that seem a bit long drawn out. This is a great album though for all that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jun 2013
Superb reworking of classic tracks in a live setting. The maturing fragility of his voice provides a different dynamic to familiar favorites. The new album is one that grew on me after a few listens, without any real standout new classics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Echo and the Bunnymen fan?, 18 May 2013
Mario Moreira Sa "Mario" (Oporto, Portugal) - See all my reviews
If you are Echo and the bunnymen and enjoyed previous solo albums from Ian, you'll notice something is missing here.
Go and listen Candleland, instead!
Still, the new arrangements for old songs are ok!