5.0 out of 5 stars Will have you in giggles from page one, 3 July 2011
V. Mulyanova - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
My 6-year old couldn't wait to read this book and finished it in about an hour. She read Claude in the City about a month ago and fell in love with Claude and his unconventional friend Sir Bobblysock. Both books had us giggling non-stop and we can't wait for the next book in the series. The books are a breath of fresh air after the monotonous Rainbow Magic saga. Lovely illustrations and simple but fun story lines were greatly enjoyed by my confident little reader. Thankfully, no toilet humour in this one.

Claude is a small dog with beady eyes, a quirky sense of fashion and adventurous spirit. He is smart, alert and great at problem solving. Also, very importantly, he's incredibly cute, funny and a little bit crazy. Juicy bone baguette or ice-cream anyone?
Sir Bobblysock has an amazing pair of designer sunglasses and is an expert at building sand castles. Sounds fun? I'm sure every child (and hopefully adult) will appreciate the lighof uncomplicated humour of this book. Definitely recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming children's Book, 4 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
I bought the first Claude book (Claude In the City) in a desperate attempt to get my 7 year old son to read something! He absolutely loved it and read it from cover to cover without stopping. So of course we had to get the next one in the series and neither of us were disappointed. It has the same charming, gentle wit with enough silliness and nonsense to engage most children, like the fact that almost everything Claude needs throughout the story can be found under his red beret!

I would recommend this book to anyone and in fact I bought one for the school library in the hope that it will inspire other children to realise that reading can be fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cheerful Beach Adventure (With Pirates), 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
It seems to me that for a kid's general interest picture/story book what you sometimes want is - a friendly looking hero, a story that moves along but makes sense, illustrations that are clear or at least easily explainable, and a cheerful overall vibe. There are other books that are edgier or maybe more audacious, but for a solid appealing read those basic elements seem to describe a successful book.

Well, that's what we have here. Claude has a certain wide-eyed cheerful appeal without being dopey or simple. He is adventurous but alert. He is brave and resourceful. There is a touch of "the innocent abroad", but he is not a foolish character. In this volume he's off to the beach, and he has a number of gentle, amusing adventures that involve sand castles, pirates, sharks and ice cream - which pretty much hits any kid's idea of a beach adventure. Between the drawings, (which are charming and expressive), and the narration, (which is clear but not patronizing), you get a story that is easy enough to follow, maybe with a little help, and very satisfying. There is a lot of extra business scattered throughout the illustrations, so there are things to talk about or to point out to your little reader as you go through the story. (There are also a few subtle little jokes for the adults just to keep your interest up as you read through together.)

"Charm" is a bit of an overused description, so let's just say that this book is a mellow little lark. And sometimes that's just what you want. A nice little find. Definitely worth a look.

Please note that I received a free advance ecopy of this book in exchange for a candid review. Apart from that I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars We all love Claude, 1 Nov. 2012
D. Porter (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
Bought for our 4 year old as a change from the norm and she absolutely loves it. Great story, lots of fun and brilliant illustrations make for a winning combination. We've also got Claude at the circus (also great) and are ready to order Claude in the City. Can't wait for it to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hilarious adventure - a joy for adults and children alike!, 30 Jun. 2011
M. Lancaster "-ml-" (South of England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
We've just received our pre-ordered copy of Claude on Holiday by the fabulously talented Alex T Smith. Excitement ensued! We read it as our bedtime story and we ALL loved it. My children both loved the previous book 'Claude in the City' and so we just had to order the follow-up.

There are many things we love about the Claude series. The characters are charming: Claude is completely loveable and his sensible friend Sir Bobblysock is (hilariously) the voice of reason, often cutting in with a wry comment, a rolling of the eyes or a tut. The beautifully drawn black and red illustrations are bold, and wonderfully expressive. Various characters pop up in the book like caricatures - many of them will probably remind you of someone you know, or perhaps someone you've seen in your neighbourhood. These stories are wonderfully silly, just the sort of thing that children like to hear about and imagine. One of the things that my husband and I really enjoy are the various levels of humour Alex uses; there's something for everyone; both my husband and I were chuckling about cheeky parts of the story whilst our two girls were laughing at the silly people and what Claude and Sir Bobblysock were up to. Younger children will enjoy the funny pictures and hearing the story. Older ones can read and enjoy it for themselves, or do as we do and listen to it for a bedtime story, we add lots of silly voices and sound effects :) It's a brilliant book for putting a smile on your face.

In this story, Claude goes on holiday with Sir Bobblysock. He miraculously pulls a suitcase from under his dog bed (amazing) and fills it with all sort of important things including a pair of y-fronts, a tambourine and some sticky tape. There's excitement as Claude saves a swimmer in trouble, a funny meeting with some French tourists, and hilarity when Sir Bobblysock steals his thunder on the beach later. Then there's pirates, treasure and seasickness... and sandy underpants.

A great story for any age of child, (or adult!), full of fun and laughter. We CAN'T WAIT for the next Claude book to be published!

5.0 out of 5 stars Claude is just fabulous!, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
Claude is just amazing. This is my particular favourite although my nearly 7 year old daughter prefers "Claude in the city". They are all lovely, easy to read and funny. As a parent I enjoy re-reading them and even my 3 year old is happy to hear them. They are good early readers when my daughter was just beginning to read and a vast improvement on fairy stories. Thoroughly recommended. Can't get enough Claude.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous humorous books! Highly recommend, 22 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
Can't recommend these Claude books enough. Great for the 6-8 age group as the books contain a lot of humour which introduces children to the comical side of books and helps instil a love of reading for pleasure. Wrote more please Alex T Smith although I have found Foxy Tales so will be purchasing those as my daughter has all the Claude titles now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Claude on holiday, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book was quite good.It doesn't take that long to read but it was still amazing.I would recommend this book to children.

5.0 out of 5 stars J'adore Claude, 27 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
Don't know if it's the beret, but I picture Claude as a French dog. This and all the Claude books are just beautifully written - very tongue in cheek in parts - the children love it, and adults have to stifle a smirk or two!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Claude on Holiday (Paperback)
Excellent the whole claude series funny clever great for my five year if i could i would give it 6 stars i could go on and on about how my son loves these books here's is a tip buy all of them you wont regret it

Claude on Holiday