4.0 out of 5 stars More realistic than integrated units if you live in the UK
**BE AWARE** This device has no voltage regulator and can produce over 6 volts in bright sunlight. If you find your device will not charge it may be due to the device protecting itself from possible damage. See edit 1 at the bottom for more detail.

Published 19 months ago by D. Frost

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't charge phones directly from panel in bright sunlight
Published 4 months ago by darran booth

4.0 out of 5 stars More realistic than integrated units if you live in the UK, 1 Jun 2013
D. Frost "DF" (Washington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EasyAcc® 7W Portable Solar Charger Panel for Cell Phone iPhone Android Smartphone Samsung Galaxy HTC Bluetooth Speakers (Wireless Phone Accessory)

I bought this for two reasons. Firstly to recharge the battery bank I already own (different manufacturer). I live in the north of England so most integrated solar chargers simply aren't going to cut it due to the small size of their solar panels. Larger panels don't just generate more power, hopefully they will make more of the limited sun light available here. Secondly I wanted to be able to directly charge my devices as this is more efficient. When using the battery bank I'm only getting about 40% transfer efficiency. In other words the 5600mAh unit only charges my 1460mAh phone battery about one and a half times, equivalent to around 2200mAh. It's obviously therefore a lot better to directly charge your devices as it takes two and a half times as long to do so via an intermediate battery.

I have 5 devices which I tested on the 31st of May 2013, the hottest day of the year so far (17 degrees C!) with generally clear skies. Here are my findings:

Nook Simple Touch eReader. This works really well and will charge even with hazy sunlight. It charges at about mains charger speed.

Sony Xperia Miro. My main phone. This proved temperamental and would only start to charge with strong direct sunlight. It still managed to charge from 68% to 95% in around an hour so it will be viable if you are planning a trip to more sunny climbs. I was unable to get it to charge after about 5pm even though the sun was strong enough to make the panel quite warm to the touch. See edit 1 below for follow up comments.

Nokia N96. This entered charging mode more readily than the Sony. I couldn't really tell how fast it was charging though, as the battery indicator doesn't give a percentage reading.

Apple iPod Nano (5th gen). This wouldn't charge even when there was enough light to charge the Miro. This may not bode well for iPhone users.

Battery Bank. This readily enters charging mode even with fairly modest light. As a test, I fully charged it from the mains before using it to charge my Miro by about 10%. I then used the solar panel to recharge it. This took over an hour but it finally got back to fully charged (all indicator lights on constantly).

Edit 1: I have been experimenting with charging my Miro phone as this is the most important device for me. I eventually discovered that partially covering the panel would cause the Miro to start charging. I checked the output using a meter and found that it was producing 6.06 volts rather than the normal 5 volts you get from a USB port. This must have been tripping the phone's over voltage protection. As an experiment I connected a cheap (under £5) solar charger I had bought on eBay some time ago (which has a dud battery) in series with the panel. The panel connected to the charging port and the output connected to the phone. It has a built in VOLTAGE REGULATOR that stops over loading the phones input. It worked like a charm and will now charge my phone under a wide range of lighting. As these things cost a few pennies, I've knocked a star off my rating because of this omission.

Edit 2: Just a follow up to my original review. I was able to power my Miro phone entirely on solar power for over 4 months last summer, June - October. The second week in October finally forced me to revert to mains charging. A full charge takes 3-4 hours on a sunny day. The longer times were later in the year when the sun being lower in the sky has lower ultraviolet content. I eventually started to use my battery bank in "pass through" mode. This allows it to act as a regulator to the solar panel, prioritizing the phone and only charging itself once the phone is fully charged. Not all battery banks can operate like this, so check before you buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't charge phones directly from panel in bright sunlight, 28 Aug 2014
Awful item. I bought this panel to provide charge to an Android phone, I expected this to be a long, slow process but the panel simply didn’t work. The panel was placed in direct sunlight, at midday, in summer, for over 3 hours and never once sent any charge to the phone. The construction of the item itself seemed quite cheap (not potentially a £70 product, which is the price some vendors have reduced this from). It came with a plastic sheet coating covering the panels, this plastic was covered in marks, scratches and air bubbles, they looked terrible and seemed like they should be removed, however, this covering was stitched into the fabric surrounding the panels so when it was removed it tore around the stitching and left tufts of plastic sticking out around the edges. Although it’s a very simple product there were no instructions included in the box, so had no additional information about power output, instructions on the best way to use the panel, nothing on if it needs time to warm up etc. The box was unbranded, and although the panel itself was marked as ‘EasyAcc’ the box does not carry this branding anywhere, which seems odd.
A poor product that looks cheap, has no instructions and doesn’t do what it’s supposed to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the P&P, 9 July 2014
Very disappointed. The device that was delivered did not live up to the billing. The build construction was poor and the surface of the panels was scuffed. Since there was no branding whatsoever it is very possible that it simply was not the article that was advertised. Failed to charge devices - at all!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly good, 2 Jun 2013
A well presented and effective product for under £20 but slightly misleading as far as the claim goes about charging Iphone handsets directly. So if your are an Iphone user and you want to use this product for direct charge do Not buy it.

I did lots of different tests and my findings are as follows:

It appears to charge all external battery packs such as Mili, Technet, EasyAcc etc.
It appears to charge all portable Huawei Mifi devices.
It appears to charge all android smartphones(tried on two Sony Experia)

It does not charge Iphone handsets(any model)

Unfortunately I did not have the time to confirm charging speeds but it appears to be reasonable. From past experiences using other solar powered products(such as Solio, Freeloader)charging through Sun can be tricky because things such angle of the panel, time of day, geographical location, and time of the year, all these variables can affect charging times.

Another comment is that the product lucks any straps all velcros to secure it on a bag or give it an angle.

1.0 out of 5 stars 7 hours in the sun for less charge than you'd get from a potato, 18 Aug 2014
B. Griffin (UK) - See all my reviews
I've used this on 2 occasions. Once at a weekend festival and a second time during a week camping in the Lake District... both times to charge up an EasyAcc 12000mAh power bank.

When plugging the solar charger to the power bank, the power bank does detect a charge.

However, upon returning to the tent, after a full day of glorious sun, and the solar panel meticulously pointed towards the sun (or at least where it would be at midday to capture the best rays), the power bank barely registered a charge at all. Upon plugging my phone into the power bank, it only registered a charge for about 10 seconds before reporting that it was empty.

So, around 7 hours of charge from the sun, resulted in 10 seconds of charge from the power bank... basically it's absolutely worthless! I know it's a cheap item, but I expected it to at least give me 50% phone charge from all day out in bright sunshine!

Do not buy this product... spend a bit more and get something that actually works (and then tell me about it so I can buy one without wasting money on experiments like this)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 29 Jun 2014
Mr. John Wilson "cj359" (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
Solar tech continues to move on. But so does the demands we put on our battery powered tech. As it comes it does what it says, but from long experience it's better to have the panel charge a backup battery rather than couple directly to your phone,MP3 or GPS.

My primary use is to keep my backup battery pack (10,000mah USB Lithium pack) topped up when away from alternative charging sources. This is sufficient to keep two phones functional indefinitely in reasonable to good weather and adequate for heavier use over a long weekend, but then you need to either recharge the battery from another source or leave it attached to the panel for a couple of days or so to get a complete charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, so far., 26 Sep 2013
My preliminary tests of this device, so far, have proved promising. I'm about to take it on an almost month long hike, in October, in Wales, so I will try and add more of an extensive review after. But so far, my experiences are pretty good. On a grey day, behind a car window, this was producing charge. On a grey day behind my (shamelessly dirty) west facing double glazed window, this produced charge, and charged my 3200mah external battery pack in a day (or just under half a day in reality, picking up charge at about 12pm ish and stopping when the sunsets behind the trees at about 6pm). The next time I used it on the same window, it was much more murky outside, and sometimes stopped charging, at the end of the day it only charge it up to 50%. Other days it has been too murky to charge at all. But consider the situation I tested it in, I was impressed.

I attached this to my backpack whilst out walking on Welsh hills/mountains for about 4 to 5 hours. The weather was changeable, sunny/cloudy/light rain/sunny, and this charged my external battery pack, which was already at 25% all the way to 100%.

So far I'm impressed. Because of another review about lack of voltage regulator, I've not plugged it straight into my phone and other devices, opting to put my external battery pack in the firing line. I'm a little dubious about it's water resistance, particularly the storage pouch at the back. But at this price, it's much cheaper than the competition and produced a decent amount of juice, more so than some of its more pricey competitors.

So far, I'm very impressed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than some but still somewhat lacking., 1 Jun 2013
R. Ivimey-Cook "Ruth" (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this in conjunction with the 12000mah EasyAcc power pack to charge my HTC Sensation phone and Tablet. It does work, is acceptably robust and the somewhat unusual "box" - backpack-type synthetic material - works well. My only concern is that it might not survive a bending force but I don't know this to be a problem.

My main complaint is there is no indication at all of the power output from the unit. While I wouldn't want a bargraph display - it would take too much power away - a LED that flashed briefly at increasing rates as the power grew would be very useful. e.g. flash duration 50ms, frequency 0.2Hz at 10ma, 10Hz at 200ma - or whatever.

My greatest disappointment is that the unit appeared to be incapable of charging the 12000mah power pack I bought with it. While it appeared to try charging, no significant charge was transferred even when left for a day in good sunlight.

I have wondered about the practicality of getting 2 units and putting them in parallel for additional power but haven't yet done that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, 10 Jan 2014
On receiving this product it would not work, but the weather was very very bad and so I assume maybe it needs stronger light. Later that proved to also be useless, this simply does not work correctly. Its obvious on closer inspection that on mine one of the panels its possible to see that the solar panel was not manufactured correctly. I was contacted by the sellers asking for a review and I explained that mine simply did not work. I was simply told to follow Amazon's return policy - which is useless for me since I am out of time and also working abroad at the moment...

It seems I am not alone in finding this a useless product - very disappointed since I also purchased a battery and that was great. Maybe there are some that work I don't know...

In my experience the customer service is only interested in getting positive feedback and since this is not sold by Amazon there is little you can do to get a refund.

Avoid the risk and go somewhere else!

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, 28 Aug 2013
good product. I used it with a fan, a laptop, to charge a mp3 player...it has a good and wide possibility of usage. I'm quite satisfied