Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 September 2013
I bought this album out of curiosity as a big mars Volta fan. The songs are pretty straightforward pop tunes, that being said there are many interesting moments, largely courtesy of Omar's guitar playing. Deatoni Parks manages some nice grooves considering he is using just one hand! I Cry for you and the eye fell in love are highlights for me, both have great vocal performances from Teri Gender Bender. So it's a pretty good record overall but won't knock your socks off like TMV!
on 10 November 2013
This is easily one of the best albums of 2013. Impressive songwriting, amazing sounds and excellent production. The album is very diverse and intelligent. The beautiful cover art is done by the multi talented Sonny Kay (The VSS, Year Future). Buy it now.
on 31 January 2014
Not much to add to the other more generous reviews which are spot on in the main. Unlike some, I blow hot and cold about MV. I loved the first album, and liked bits of the others. I was much keener on At the Drive-in, which probably makes sense as this lot have a strong punk/post-punk feel.

Standouts for me are Eli, The Eye Fell In Love, Turtle Neck and Always On The Run, but there are no weak tracks really. The playing is just great, with Omar contributing some very inventive, fx-laden guitar flourishes and the beautiful Terri Gender-Bender giving a great vocal performance throughout. The lyrics, also from Terri are bizarre but seem to fit the songs well for some strange reason.

Hope they carry on for a long time and produce loads more great music.
on 18 July 2013
Being an avid Mars Volta appreciator I was drawn to this out of curiosity to see what Omar Rodriguez Lopez and Deantoni Parks latest project was like (which I suspect may be how many discover this new act). My first reaction I have to say was lukewarm but after listening a handful of times it is now my new favourite and my soundtrack to Summer '13. Each time I hear it there is a new aspect to admire. Combine this with the abundance of incredible YouTube performances and I am left convinced that this is a truly great act in its ascendancy. I am absolutely gutted that I am unable to see them live at their handful of UK gigs due anyway now. If you read this in time and you are able I strongly recommend that you attend. You will not be disappointed. I await now for the arrival of new material that can't be far away given all the band members prolific and skilful writing ability. In conclusion: A stripped down four piece delivering seemingly simple yet sublime textures. Roll on the follow up....
on 26 July 2013
Was really intrigued by this album since i heard the first few tracks leaking out in different places over the interwebs, Omar is a man of many styles and when putting this band together you can tell he was really looking for a whole new project to get into.

Every song from start to finish for me is fantastic with amazing sections and interesting sounds i heard the full album before i bought it free on Omar's website and was blown away. Now a copy has a happy home on my shelf where it shall be played a lot!