5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
I almost did not buy this album due to the many negative comments. I think the album is simply brilliant and so funny that I almsot crashed the car listening to the track Harvey Bodine. Brad has turned out a different type of album for sure and for me it has worked very well. FANTASTIC!
Published 18 months ago by M. J. Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars love Brad, ......But, not such a good album.
Published 19 months ago by inthecountry2

3.0 out of 5 stars love Brad, ......But, not such a good album., 19 April 2013
This review is from: Wheelhouse (Audio CD)
I suppose it's not easy being an artist, if you stick to singing the same old type of thing people say, why can't you do something different and when you do they say, why can't you stick to your old style, you can't win. My wife and I have seen Brad Paisley 3 times in concert to date and are big fans , we've also met him twice, he's seems a lovely man. He has his own style and sound, modern country music can be very bland, but Brad stands out from the crowed. Even though this album is supposed to be different from what he's recorded before, to me it doesn't sound much different from his last 2 albums, American Saturday Night and This Is Country Music,[ these are my fav' Brad albums ], yes it is a little less produced as Brad said he wanted more of a live sound this time, I just don't think there are any quality songs on Wheelhouse, there isn't even one song I want to go back to and play over and over again and as others have said I would rather have 12 quality songs and not 21 with short bits and fillers, even the last 2 singles do nothing for me, the song I quite like is 'Tin can on a string'. My wife likes it more then me and would give it 4*s. The only album i'm now looking forward to being realised this year is by Justin Currie [ lead singer of Del Amitri ], hopefully due out in September. Added review 26/4/2013, as well as 'tin can on a string' I'm starting to like, 'pressing on a bruise' , 'Harvey Bodine' and ' out standing in our field '. It's still not his best album and I still give it 3 *, but still think he's a great artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 5 May 2013
M. J. Collins - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow burning classic, 8 Sep 2014
Seagull John (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheelhouse (Audio CD)
I have revisited this album in several occasions since release in 2013. It suffered from some disappointing reviews at the time, but every time I return to it, I like it even more. It actually feels like a whole album which, in this single track digital day and age, may be why some don't like it. Plus, of course, 'Accidental Racist' was a controversial choice of single which deflected from the quality of the album overall. If you are a Brad fan, which I confess I am, you will like this album which really repays repeated listens. The humour is laugh out loud funny. Karate, Death of a Married Man and Harvey Bodine are just incredibly clever and witty. The neat use of a whistling refrain in a song including Eric Idle is sheer genius recalling as it does his work with Python and, for me, this is evidence of a carefully conceived package of music and songs. At 21 songs, it may be a shade too long, but it sounds best when played from start to finish as a single piece. It's rapidly becoming one of my favourite albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brad Paisley, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Wheelhouse (Audio CD)
This is the most refreshing country artist around to my taste. His music is always different, often funny, and just so very original. "Those Crazy Christians" is a great example. He manages to make fun and give respect all in one song! I never tire of his music and I can't recommend him highly enough. He sings about everyday life with such originality and freshness. Can you guess I am a great fan?!!

1.0 out of 5 stars What were you thinking Brad?, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wheelhouse (Audio CD)
Having all his albums so far I expected good things for this album, I was massively disapointed.... what is it all about?
The track listings include excerpts from old coutry radio shows which it could do without and the palin track? what has all this to do with country music?
If you are looking for a Brad Paisely album like his previous efforts this is nothing like them, the odd good track...the mona lisa..... the rest are utter garbage, previous reviewers claimed that the album grows on you, well I listened to it all half a dozen times, willing it to grab my attention or at least be likeable and worth the purchase price but was left infuriated at the cost and confused as to what the hell was he thinking...,.
As a huge country fan and a big paisely fan to boot it annoys me that he put this out under the guise of country music....
Don't waste your money, I'll be passing mine onto the charity shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Still not working, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Wheelhouse (Audio CD)
I write this review as a long time massive Brad fan but a lot of this album still isn't working for me. There is Brad's humour in there and his wonderful play with words and the romantic side but I struggle with rap. Brad has many famous friends and he likes to bring many of them into his recording sessions but to me it just seems like cheap tricks to sell more albums to the wider public which in turn earns more dollars for the execs at the record company.
Ah well, I'll keep on listening and maybe it will grow on me after another dozen or so goes. Roll on his next album.
Hey Brad, git yr ass back over to the UK for more concerts and TV work - we're missing you!

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment..., 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Wheelhouse (Audio CD)
As a Brad fan (favourite album "Mud on the tires") I was just besides myself with excitement and had to pre-order this. I can usually play his albums over and over, know all the words and never get tired of hearing his voice. I have played this album 3 times since purchase and find myself skipping from track to track trying to find something that holds my interest long enough to hear the whole track through. I just can't say that I've found it yet on this album. I get the sense of his looking to move into a different genre and this album feels like an experiment. All I can say is it wasn't broke so he shouldn't have tried to fix it. There may be people who like the sound but I get the sense that if he continues this route, he may find new fans but lose old ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad at all, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Wheelhouse (Audio CD)
Half expected this album to be a bit OTT with the electric guitar( having seen him recently and witnessed a bit of that) but in fairness ther wasn't too much. Some really good songs, addressing some serious subjects and I think he's done it really well. because of his effort to tackle some seriously consious topics, I will forgive his self indulgent Tikki bar/ naf reggae effort that would be better left to the experts (ie reggae artists) .

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great album from BP, 9 May 2013
Wiggins (Sarf London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheelhouse (Audio CD)
I'm stunned by the negative feedback this album this has received from some folks here, it reminds me of the reaction when Elvis Costello released his Country album Almost Blue..."ooh, it's a bit different to his previous stuff so I won't like it". Life is dull without an element of risk. For those of us with wider tastes, it's a great album and, if you don't like the semi-comedic interludes or any of the more left field material, just use the skip button on your player. This is, as we've come to expect from BP, a well written, well played and well produced album. There's plenty of Country fayre here and some tracks with a slightly different approach, however, the quality remains high like his previous albums and the guitar work is sublime - Runaway Train being a wonderful example of how great a player he is.
In my humble opinion this is an album not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mix of styles and a fun album, 6 May 2013
Lisa Hardy "lisabookworm" (Kettering, Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wheelhouse (Audio CD)
I love this album! There are so many different styles of music on this album. Country Rock, Hillbilly, Bluegrass and Country Ballads. Thats what makes it great.

The words on the songs are really clever too. I love the words to Death of a married man, featuring Eric Idle. It's hilarious!
The same with Karate.

You then have the emotional songs like Accidental Racist, where the words are very poignant.

It's hard to say which is my favourite song as I love so many of them, for different reasons. I know a lot of people don't like it as it's not just the one style, but for me that's a bonus.

Wheelhouse (Deluxe Version)