5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Holiday Read
Published 15 months ago by Half Man, Half Book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 18 May 2013
Extreme sleeps is written in a style of its own making Phoebe's Smiths' experiences very vivid and exciting. This book will appeal to all ages and make an excellent read/present for either avid and dedicated walkers, novices or armchair adventurers. Having visited some, not all, of the locations it made me realise that the book had been well researched and gives very helpful advice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Holiday Read, 1 July 2013
There is nothing like a pub challenge to start a book off. Especially when view in the cold light of a hangover. And this is how this book starts, Smith has a discussion with an Australian where they are playing the one upmanship game, about which country has the better monuments and natural features. She holds her own until he says Urulu, then the barrier refff, and she knows she is beaten. On subsequent vista, she goes to Urulu, and instead of going the full tourist route decides to sleep out under the stars.

This adventure sparks a challenge to herself, to sleep in some of the wildest places in the UK. She starts off in the Brecons, parking up and walking to high ground to camp, alone, overnight. She is successful, and undaunted by this decides to travel to all sorts of locations; the lake district, Cornwall, Essex, Dartmoor and the final camp at Cape Wrath in Scotland. Not all of it is camping, as she sleeps in caves, and bothys in some of the remote locations Most of the trips are alone, but she takes a friend on one of them.

Generally I liked the book. She has a good spirit and sense of adventure, and writes what she sees and feels. THere are some moments when she describes the mishaps, which made me chuckle, but the writing didn't sparkle, hence three rather than four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 17 Nov 2013
After a couple of years of camping and festivals with my daughters (aged 5 and 7). I wanted to do a bit more with them and try wild camping. I have a fair few bush craft and outdoor themed books, but the idea of one written by a woman, obviously appealed more to them. I really enjoyed the book and found it a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and inspiring, 9 Feb 2014
I bought this book thinking I might get some handy tips for my own escapades but it isn't that kind of book. So why 5 stars? Because I chuckled and laughed out loud repeatedly and loved her style of writing. Her silliness hides her mastery as a writer and her modesty hides her experience, nerve and skill which only gradually becomes apparent. It's a lighthearted read that builds to a beautiful and uplifting conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 7 May 2013
This book is such a good read and is genuinely inspirational in the sense that my wife and myself can't wait to get started with wild camping ourselves, and have planned our first outing already. Phoebe Smith writes in an easily readable and engaging manner, breaking the book down into chapters which each tell the story of one wild camping trip, from her tentative first night out alone to much more challenging and remote trips ; from deepest Cornwall to the extreme north of Scotland. She has the knack of making you feel you are out on the adventure too, or at least wishing you were, to get away from the rat race for a while.Thoroughly recommended!
Gerry N

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring read for trainee campers!, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Extreme Sleeps: Adventures of a Wild Camper (Kindle Edition)
While most young women are slapping on their fake tan ready to go clubbing,
this intrepid girl is sleeping out in the wild, and inspiring us with tales
of her adventures. I loved the descriptive nature of this easy to
read book. Essential reading for every trainee camper! Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining read!, 8 Sep 2013
I'm already a keen wild camper so this book immediately caught my attention. I really enjoyed reading the experiences of the author, of which I could relate to, and it inspired me to want to grab my tent and go off for the weekend. She also made a connection with a wilderness in a way a lot of people don't think about. I think by going solo enhanced her experiences and would give other people the confidence to try it for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 7 Dec 2013
I have always enjoyed camping out in the wild and as an overland tour leader I have had the pleasure of introducing a lot of people to the delights of camping in all parts of the world. I admit that before reading this book I did not think of the UK as a top camping destination. However, now I cannot wait to try some of the places in the book.

Easy to read, funny, great info.

4.0 out of 5 stars Encapsulates the Great Outdoors, 11 Sep 2014
The author's experiences seemed to mirror some of my own, spending a considerable amount of my youth in the great outdoors yet not really appreciating it until my adult years. I was particularly taken with the Lake District chapter. I liked the authors scathing assessment of those who buy walking gear yet never venture onto the fells - a bug bear of mine - I found myself punching the air at Phoebe Smith's descriptions of those who are ignorant to the landscape - littering etc. Good to see the "Borrowdale Hermit",Millican Dalton is covered with the author spending a night in his old cave. Smith's descriptions of a night in the wild, at one with the nature and a love of solitude were spot on.

The theme gets a little repetitive at times but the style of writing and phrases ("gore-tex encased backside") made me laugh. Makes a nice change from reading guide books and OS maps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and well-written, 5 Aug 2014
I really enjoyed this well written account of camping out alone in the wild places of Britain. The author describes the everyday realities of over-nighting far from any civilised amenities. She copes calmly and bravely with dangers and discomforts and writes about them with great humour.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›