5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and hope-bringing
Published 21 months ago by Elephant Child

3.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse of the Archbishop
I was glad to know anything about Archbishop Justin and what I have learnt is very encouraging indeed. But I was disappointed that this book is so tiny and I feel it only gives a tiny, descriptive account of someone who is possibly going to be a remarkable Archbishop. I look forward to the day when someone writes a proper, full-length biography of an interesting person.
Published 11 months ago by Mungo

3.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse of the Archbishop, 28 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and hope-bringing, 25 Jun. 2013
This ia a brief exploration of the life of the new Archbishop of Canterbury until the time of his appointment. Cogently written it gives a good insight into why this appointment may be one of hope for the church and the country. It particularly focusses on his ability to reconcile different views whilst maintaining a firm underlying faith, and shows how different strands of relgious experience have helped him. It suggests what leadership style we should expect, and that we should learn to be patient as he will seek to bring people to a God-given way of working together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Archbishop Justin Welby: The Road to Canterbury, 16 Dec. 2013
On reading this book one comes to realise just what a man is head of the Anglican church.
It's inspiring to read of all that lead this man to such a position, although it's obvious that
position is not something he strives for. He's a people's man with his feet on the ground
and his heart beating for his Lord. This book explains what formed him and equipped him.
He is prepared to take great risks and seems to me, pretty unconventional, which I like.
His emphasis is on listening to the other side and drawing conflicting parties together. I also
learned quite a bit about Anglicanism (not being one myself) and came to realise just how
much the Anglican church seeks to do for the good of society.
The book shows how Archbishop Justin Welby is prepared to invest himself in efforts
towards reconciliation, how he has personally risked his life abroad, smuggled bibles and
worked hand in hand with Andrew White in Baghdad.
This is a quality man and with him at the helm I have great expectations for Britain and the Church.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and informative, 19 Oct. 2013
Pilgrim (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I downloaded this book onto my Kindle knowing I had a long train journey ahead. But I knew I would be tired and thought this biography might not hold my attention so I also bought a cheap thriller to turn too when my focus wandered. But at the journey's end the thriller was untouched! This really is a very good read. It is full of information and insights and builds well, showing how Justin Welby grew and developed. There are some great quotes too from sources such as parish magazines. My favourite:

"If Jesus did not rise from the dead, the Christian faith is untrue. If His bones were found, I (and I hope all other clergy) would quit. The parish church, the Roman Catholic church and the chapel would simply be museums to a discarded superstition. That is why it all matters. If it is true, then all other Christian claims follow. There is a life after death in heaven, and death has been defeated, which is the best news that there could be."

5.0 out of 5 stars God's man for this hour?, 24 Jun. 2013
E. Rees "ex libris" (Penn, Bucks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archbishop Justin Welby (Kindle Edition)
Wow! What a wealth of experience, wisdom (both spiritual and earthly), charm and humility wrapped into this new Archbishop. And I still laugh to read the chapter where he was rejected as 'unsuitable' when he first applied for ordination training. Any easy and illuminating read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Archbishop Revealed, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Archbishop Justin Welby (Kindle Edition)
This is a helpful book if you wish to enter into how the Archbishop works and functions as a human being. It is succinct and well researched and written. If you are interested in the subject it provides a splendid introduction

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 3 April 2013
An easily accessible portrait of the new Archbishop - really well written and packed full of details. A fascinating family, and an unusual journey! Would be keen to read a follow up when Justin Welby has been in the job for a while, with more analysis of how his ideas have been received and put into action. Would recommend to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars How it all happened, 30 May 2013
A small book of the facts and very well written. It tells what you want to know from family beginnings to Uni and change of subject, and how it was difficult even to get a first job - at which it turns out he was well suited and in fact very successful. How his connections with Christianity really started at Cambridge and his introduction to Brompton Oratory. I found it fascinating and he is obviously a very talented and charismatic human being. His business life has provided a very useful backdrop and understanding for where he is now, plus he was appointed to the Parliamentary Commission on banking and other such.

4.0 out of 5 stars Archbishop Justin Welby: The Road to Canterbury, 9 May 2013
This book is more of an extended CV showing the Archbishop's connections both within and beyond the Anglican Communion. It's worth reading if only to find out about the contemporary living church and understand where she is heading. The book is written by a churchman and I found I had to reach for the dictionary a couple of times. Although I have a Kindle, I purchased the paperback so I could pass it on to others. Recommended to both Christians and non-Christians alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant life and read, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Archbishop Justin Welby (Kindle Edition)
How could anybody rise so rapidly while being such a delightful and humble man?! Well - read and discover a briliant example

Archbishop Justin Welby