Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 May 2013
I have to admit to owning 6 Tom Harper books and not having read any of them, they glare at me menacingly from the To be read pile (TBR) and lose out to demands to read and review. This means i have had no real chance to experience his writing.... Until now.
This sort of taster short story is an excellent idea, not only do i think Tom Harper has a very readable fast paced style, but his plot line sucked me in immediately. I HAVE to read The Orpheus Descent and once im finished with that i will get stuck into his other books Secrets of the Dead The Book of Secrets Lost Temple and the rest.

If you have not read his work then try this freebie....you will be hooked.

(Parm)
THE TWELFTH TABLET (Short Story) Tom Harper Kindle Edition

I have read a couple of Tom Harper's other books and have enjoyed his writing style and I enjoyed this story as well, except... it was far too short. I confess that I had not realised that it was a short story when I downloaded it and like nearly every other good short story I have read it just ended as it was getting interesting which is why I seldom deliberately frustrate myself by reading shorts.

The story had a lot of promise with a good storyline and the potential for developing into a very good novel. If The Twelfth Tablet is a single chapter in a series... perhaps the story attached to the other eleven, then I think that I will wait and read them all together.

The story, what there was of it was very good, but it would have made a better full length novel.

The Kindle Edition: A professionally produced e-book without flaws. 5/5
Had the story been longer and Tom Harper had more opportunity to develop his themes of mystery, death and the afterlife I would have enjoyed The Twelfth Tablet more than I did. There's nothing wrong with the story, it's quite good, but for me the overall plot felt rushed. This is the first in what I assume will be a series of 12, each tablet has it's own story to tell, and sets the scene for the rest of the collection. I enjoyed the overall sense of ancient mystery and Tom Harper has added some clever and complicated twists and turns around the completely inexplicable. I enjoyed the read, my negative is just that the story's so short I reached the end before I'd had chance to involve myself with the plot. A free download 'a taster' is a clever way to hook in new readers and The Twelfth Tablet is certainly worth a read.
VINE VOICEon 28 September 2013
Greed is such a wonderful thing. It is as if some people think that if it sounds too good to be true, then it must be true. "The Twelfth Tablet" is the tale of a man who fell for such a scheme. As sometimes happens his falling led to murder and mayhem.

Upon closing the museum one evening Paul Mitchell meets a couple who make him an offer he cannot refuse. Ari and Valerie wish to see the museum's Aphrodite statue in return for donating a large sum of money "to the museum". Paul finds himself unable to say no to anything they ask. He tries but there is something strange about their touch that fills him with powerlessness and an eagerness to please.

Once he has said yes once, saying yes to their next request is less of a hurdle. Ari and Valerie want to know where they can find the Orphic Tablet and Paul leads them to it.

Paul is the perfect example of how we are all potentially able of deeds we thought impossible. I find Harper's description of Mitchell's self-destructive road believable. Tom has a tight pace and tension galore. We get plenty of action and fighting.

Excellent short story.

on 14 May 2013
This started brilliantly -throwing us into the action from page 1 but unfortunately & much to my displeasure it finished in mid story! Obviously a ploy to get you interested in the series but I do feel the author should have mentioned in the description that it was a short (very short) story and not full length as I thought.
That said though it has peeked my interest and thus done its job.
Recommended reading (if free) to get the start of this new series under your belt
on 1 June 2013
Okay, it is only a taster so you don't get to fully appreciate how it might develop on the palate. I would hazard a guess that Tom Harper has been done a disservice by releasing this 42 pager, as I think the follow-up(s) may be a lot better. The writing style is familiar to people like me who enjoy this type of book and is as easy to settle into as a memory foam mattress.

There is not much else to add but I think I will persevere and buy the next one in the series.
on 5 February 2015
Potentially good story spoiled.
The whole thing is too rushed and there are gaping holes in the storyline leaving you to try to make the connections.
This should have been a full length book. It could still have been fast paced but the storyline would have been complete with the characters being more fully developed
on 29 May 2013
This is a taster for his new book and I look forward to finding out more about the mysterious golden tablets...straightforward action story with not enough time to develop the characters, but moves along at a smart pace...
on 17 October 2013
Prompt delivery, condition as described, could ask for no more Excellent packing, whole buying process carried out smoothlyNothing more could be expected from a book order
on 9 July 2013
Having read Tom Harper previously, I was disappointed in this. It was short and simplistic. No sooner had I got into the crux of the story that it was coming to an end.