4.0 out of 5 stars Spark reminds us we all must die, but at least have a laugh
Muriel Spark reminds us that we all must die. Read this book and you will not forget this, unlike her septugenarian and octogenarian characters. Because of their selective amnesia a malicious caller interupts their respectful and often laughable lives.
Published on 6 Mar 2001 by twistedmouth@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, just.
I wasn't wild about the book. In my late eighties I don't need reminding that I shall die! There is no plot to speak of so it relies on the conversation of the characters to keep one interested; and to some extent it does, although I wasn't sorry to have reached the end. Nevertheless I remain a fan of her writing.
Published 7 months ago by talmine

4.0 out of 5 stars Spark reminds us we all must die, but at least have a laugh, 6 Mar 2001
This review is from: Memento Mori (Paperback)
'Remember, you must die,' says the voice, which, understandably, upsets people. Meetings are held and retired detectives reinstated. Old relationships and sordid pasts are gradually and carefully revealed creating a tension with the character's own present and the false identity they cling on to with wrinkled fingers. There is also a more touching tension that of their inevitable and certain future. Those characters who are comfortable with the caller and his message are branded senile, suggesting a feeling of contempt that Spark has for her main characters and their secretive and silly lives.
This is a cleverly constructed novel. It is dark but often light too. There is a delightful sense of irony, and the investigations that attempt to discover the caller's identity give the novel a distinct touch of the Agatha Christie mystery. Muriel Spark is on of Scotland's best writers. This is a very good and funy book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miss Spark's little gem of a read., 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: Memento Mori (VMC) (Paperback)
I have read Momento Mori twice. The first time was in the sixties (my late twenties) the second recently (I'm approaching eighty - rapidly. Age has taught me a lot and I can now appreciate MM a great deal more than I once did. All book-lovers should read it. It is a remarkable work of very considerable merit. Muriel Spark is a fine writer. In MM she does not suffer the lazy reader - be alert. The main characters - quite a few - hear the imperative and experience the inevitable. Plot and sub-plot hold the reader and the carefull ones will grasp connections missed by inattention. If you are a stranger to Muriel Spark catch up on what you have missed. Good Reading. Lionel

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember you must die, 5 Feb 2006
HORAK (Zug, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memento Mori (Paperback)
All the characters in Muriel Spark's novel are old people. There is Dame Lettie Colson who is pestered - but perhaps it is an illusion - by anonymous telephone calls with a voice saying only "Remember you must die", her brother Godfrey and his wife Charmian who live in a sort of ménage à trois. Their life doesn't get easier as they advance in age: senility and physical decrepitude are handicaps they try to live with, sometimes conscious of them but not always.
Then there are the twelve female occupants of the Maud Long Medical Ward, a nursing home, who spend their time gossiping about petty scandals, mostly about wills being rewritten in the favour of another person for some trivial behavioural reason.
The plot is both funny and macabre because all the characters are mean, jealous, curious, witty or confused, probably as they used to be all their life. It seems that old age does not transform our character much, for better or for worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly, deliciously dread-ful, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Memento Mori (VMC) (Paperback)
This is a wickedly sharp and shrewd little book. Absolutely skewers her characters to the page - it's macabre, merciless and enormously enjoyable. Spark's economy and acuity are astonishing - for such a contained, controlled performance there are an awful lot of ideas going on here. Meditations on mortality, morality, friendship, art, work, class and marriage - all in a few, exquisitely pleasurably chapters. The characters are undeniable, the dialogue spot on.

A wonderful book - if you like Hilary Mantel, you should adore Spark. I bought a few of Sparks novels recently because I wanted to try and find a few more female writers I could enjoy besides Mantel, Murdoch, Atwood, Drabble, Weldon. All my absolute favourite writers, aside from Mantel, seem to be men - as a woman, I feel this is perverse, and I am seeking to rectify it. I think I can definitely add Spark to the list. Her ruthless little books fit very neatly into the little modern-gothic niche in my heart's bookshelf!

4.0 out of 5 stars clichés worked brilliantly, 16 May 2011
E. Clarke "Cambusken" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memento Mori (VMC) (Paperback)
Spark has probably assembled together every cliché about being old here, along with most ways of dying. She is heartless - old poor patients routinely called Granny This and Granny That - but accurate and concise in her observations. The cast list is drawn from an extremely small, almost literally incestuous, group of upper middle class Londoner arty-types and their servants. All but two or three of the cast is repellent in varying degrees. You can't say nothing happens, but nothing very remarkable happens. Apart from the (not really believable) sociologist (really an odd anthropologist), everyone is very mundane, which makes their class background irrelevant. I really should have hated this book, but the brisk, efficient, beautiful writing makes up for everything. It almost makes you think the religious allusions, or the variations on themes of memory, remembering, repressing, concealing, etc, amount to something more than the commonplaces they really are. But the narrative rattles along brilliantly, often hilariously, and it really does take brilliant writing to make such a story of commonplace people in commonplace circumstances (for the most part) so gripping you need to keep reading. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... read this years ago when in my 20's and loved it then, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Memento Mori (VMC Book 254) (Kindle Edition)
I first read this years ago when in my 20's and loved it then. on second reading now in my dotage it struck a much darker note. beautifully observed. When written and first read, the characters were so familiar with the oldies one met. but sadly there seem to be so few of them now. But perhaps it's because there are no writers able to observe and describe us so accurately - or who find old people of interest?

4.0 out of 5 stars a very good book, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Memento Mori (VMC Book 254) (Kindle Edition)
An excellent book. Easily a classic. I recommend it. Do please read. Form your views. Then post a review. Three word sentences. Happiness is defined.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Memento Mori (VMC Book 254) (Kindle Edition)
Muriel Spark at her best. Re-readi this novel ,which I last read when very young, with more awareness ! Mordant humour. Simply brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perceptive but sometimes long-winded, 12 May 2014
Ann Gleeson "Musicus" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memento Mori (VMC Book 254) (Kindle Edition)
The best sections of this book in my opinion were the scenes in the geriatric ward, 'the grannies', for their perceptive portrayals of character, speech patterns and emotions, not to say humour. The ward staff on the whole were caring but some attitudes were Spark's reflections on the treatment of the elderly, to be taken note of.

The other characters in the book who were looked after at home or persuaded to enter private nursing homes had, surprisingly, a more difficult time with little sympathy. The character who telephoned as a 'memento mori' was never revealed although the message is clear. The real question is: how does one want to die and where? This is emphatically not an argument for euthanasia but for the elderly to be treated with respect and kindness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memento Mori, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Memento Mori (VMC Book 254) (Kindle Edition)
Took a bit of getting into as Muriel Spark is quite a '50s' writer but it was a well thought out plot although I had difficulty keeping track of various characters initially. Definitely worth a read as part of my personal cannon

Memento Mori (VMC Book 254)
5.99